Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coalition of the Willing list

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

According to all the polls I've seen, Romania is the only country on that list that has a majority of the population supporting the war. If 45% could be called a majority. All the others have between 65% and 90% of the population opposed. And that was before Blair Bush and Aznar decided not to bother trying to get a 2nd resolution. Estonia's government has had no debate in parliament and a group of protesters were threatened with arrest when they tried to organize a march.

So it's a bit disingenuous to claim that those countries are "willing".

It's slob rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Afghanistan - does this make anyone else laugh? I mean, the US practically put the government into power LOL
    Albania - I seem to recall certain US police intervention here too which involved a certain amount of economic reconstruction after the war with Serbia.
    Australia - surprise surprise.
    Azerbaijan - needs the US to help develop the Caspian oil supplies.
    Bulgaria - All eastern European nations seem to have a real desire to get a friendly status with the US and all have been rewarded for this support. I don't really need to include this again as I go down.
    Colombia - either support or get bombed again?? No but seriously, the Colombians need help against the Marxist Guerilla group - FARC and the US are selling them equipment.
    Czech Republic - see above.
    Denmark - see above.
    El Salvador - bananas need a market too.
    Eritrea - this isn't a country, it is a region in Ethiopia
    Estonia - see above. *Cough* Anti Russian *Cough*
    Ethiopia - recieves financial aid for military purposes from USAID
    Georgia - see above.
    Hungary - see above.
    Italy - no doubt there was a good price here since the ITalians know that the bases for B1B's, B2's and B52's are invaluable.
    Japan (post conflict).
    South Korea - I wonder why? *Cough* North Korea. *Cough*
    Latvia - see above.
    Lithuania - see above.
    Macedonia - again this was a state which bears a friendship to the US for deporting many Kosovan refugees.
    Netherlands - but then they supported in the devastation of Afghanistan and are still there.
    Nicaragua - pro US government installed by your friendly CIA operatives.
    Philippines - Davao and Manila are both Major naval centres for the USA - this is practically a US colony.
    Poland - see above.
    Romania - another Eastern European nation.
    Slovakia - see above.
    Spain - Gibraltar undoubtedly.
    Turkey - bribed. I will find the link I have for this so I can be vindicated in this accusation.
    United Kingdom - need we say more?
    Uzbekistan - guess what country this is right beside and now has a virtual trade monopoly with? Yep, Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK I don't think there is need to rant / rhetoric on this.
    Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    Eritrea - this isn't a country, it is a region in Ethiopia
    Eritrea has been independant for about 10 years.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/er.html
    Eritrea was awarded to Ethiopia in 1952 as part of a federation. Ethiopia's annexation of Eritrea as a province 10 years later sparked a 30-year struggle for independence that ended in 1991 with Eritrean rebels defeating governmental forces; independence was overwhelmingly approved in a 1993 referendum. A two and a half year border war with Ethiopia that erupted in 1998 ended under UN auspices on 12 December 2000. Eritrea currently hosts a UN peacekeeping operation that will monitor the border region until an international commission determines and demarcates the boundary between the two countries.
    http://www.military.ie/overseas/africa.htm

I withdraw that - sorry - my globe is over twelve years old since it still shows the USSR - I refused to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

I withdraw that - sorry - my globe is over twelve years old since it still shows the USSR - I refused to change it.
    This comment sums you up perfectly, Éomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Well I don't usually LOL reading boards, but I LOLed my ass off at that one. Superb :D
    Denmark - see above

Denmark's not in Eastern Europe, though.
    Turkey - bribed. I will find the link I have for this so I can be vindicated in this accusation.

Not yet, but they're working on it. A fine example of what Von pointed out - reportedly 90% of the population are anti-war.

All that was just to see what you said; I never changed it because I couldn't be bothered - it sits beside my computer - my Atlas which cost nearly £150 sits in my room so don't have a haemorrhage on my account please LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The situation with the Netherlands is sickening. A huge majority of the population is against war, 100,000 people protested in Amsterdam, yet the government is still joining the coalition.

What makes it even more sickening is the fact that there were elections in early January and the left made huge gains. But the new cabinet is still in the formation stages, so the cabinet that the people effectively voted out of power in January are still technically in power during the formation stages, and making decisions like this on behalf of the people they no longer represent.

And I thought democracy in Florida was messed up...

Advertisement