Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL mucking about with UK4 feeds again

• 19-03-2003 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Here in Waterford NTL-land the UK4 have are being disrupted by the digital feed popping up unwanted in the evenings, so NO TELETEXT! :mad: and nearly as bad - BBC2 has extra Norn Iron shows I dont want to watch.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

yeah same with chorus in cork too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

was watching bbc weather on the interactive service and the forecaster said that the fine weather was interfering with the signal in some parts of the uk perhaps this might answer your question as to why the digital feed was on the cable. i not a techie though so i dont know if this causes substantial interference with the signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Good weather means actually extra long distance reception, so channels on same frequencies interfere.

I was picking up 50W transmissions from Wexford in Limerick on VHF at weekend.

Also Belfast Amatuer Radio on VHF reaching Limerick (About 10 times normal range).

Reports of French stations picked up in Cork at weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Frameless

Originally posted by mike65
    Here in Waterford NTL-land the UK4 have are being disrupted by the digital feed popping up unwanted in the evenings, so NO TELETEXT! :mad: and nearly as bad - BBC2 has extra Norn Iron shows I dont want to watch.

Mike.
    :cool: Hello Mike.

Watty's correct. The Four UK channels are delivered to NTL Waterford by a third party network (Chorus) - thus NTL Waterford are subject to any feed alterations made by Chorus on their SDH ring.

Because the CCI (Co-Channel Interference) would degrade the Four UK channels they were probably switched to a backup. You'll get away with CCI on analogue to a degree, but any degradation of quality would create severe impairment when converted to Digital for transmission around the Country.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thanks for that info, Frameless/watty. I had no idea that NTL (a shower of ****e) were relieing on another shower of **** to supply them with thier bread and butter...sorry for the language but they bring the worst out in me! :D

Mike.

ps I hope we have a low-pressure summer :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i hate it when this high pressure comes barging in and hijacking my analogue signals. all my British channels have been unwatchable at some stage. TV3 has been affected quite badly too and TG4, but not as frequent. at least BBC Radio 2 is coming in nice and strong :) which is about the only bonus

Advertisement