Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove a NIC (thats not there ) ?

• 19-03-2003 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I removed an old ISA NIC and replaced with a 10/100 PCI one but when i go to assign IP it says the IP is allocated to the missing one.

How can i remove this without putting it back it??

Since i went to the new NIC my ICS doesnt work either.
    Maybe IP related but i i can access the shared folders with both PCs and play LAN games just cant go on net.

maybe moe of a nets/comms Q but the removal is a tech thing.

thx

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

ICS is IP related so dont worry.. get it working with the right IP and it should be fine.. though you may need to re install and setup ICS to assign it to the new nic.. not sure.

Anyway what OS are you using? If its 9x you can run
    winipcfg

select the nic (defaults to PPP usually) then release and then renew.. sometimes might lock. If it does then reboot

You can also use the dos command and it works in NT,2k etc also.

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

In facr just pick
    ipconfig /?
    for a list of all command switches

Oh yeah i assume you have removed the old NIC drivers from network config?? If not do so.. ISA is not plug and play usually so its probably still in there with its own TCP/IP binding and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Using XP pro and alledgley it does all this for you.

Damn ISA card :(

Thx trying to release them now.

"an error has occured while local area connection 3 tried to contact your DCHP server"
    Thats my DSL modem.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

If you have Windows XP/2K you could try this to see if its still installed.

Put the following into a new txt file and rename it to showhidden.cmd then double click it.
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 
    cd %SystemRoot%\System32 
    start devmgmt.msc

Then go into Device manager and goto view and show hidden and then check Network Adapters for the old one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Whoa crap load of hidden devices.

When i try to uninstall it ti says it may be needed at boot to boot the pc.

Disabling it and rebooting then try to remove it.

kdjac

Advertisement