Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access data type problem

Options
  • 19-03-2003 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

I've created an ms access database to store my websites content and all (or almost all) is running smoothly. As I needed to store a lot of text in a certain field I made it a 'memo' data type. I currently have the table setup as

ID - Autonumber (Primary Key)
    date - text
    body - memo

I was messing around with dreamweaver mx and got the info I manually entered into the database to display on the page however when I go back to mx and try to create a record insertion page all I get are errors when I try to add a record. I can only presume this is because mx doesnt like the memo data type because I have another table comprised of text and numeric types and it works no hassle. Can anyone suggest a fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Don't have a specific answer to your problem but Access........ewwww. Especially in relation to web sites. They can't handle even a few concurrent connections without really showing a reduction in speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by anthonymcg
    Don't have a specific answer to your problem but Access........ewwww.

I know access is rubbish... non-specific your post may be... complete bollocks your post without doubt is. If I wanted an opinion the title would have been "Hey guys, what do you think of my crappy access driven website?". Have I made my point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I doubt if it is a case of the Memo field causing problems for your WYSIWYG as data inserts/updates won't differ between Memo and Text fields in Access.

I'm afraid that it's something else, possibly a limitiation of your WYSIWYG IDE.
    Don't have a specific answer to your problem but Access........ewwww. Especially in relation to web sites. They can't handle even a few concurrent connections without really showing a reduction in speed.
    Access is probably quite adequite to the majority of Irish Websites, that never see more than one request at a time.

thanks for the reply corinthian. I downloaded a handy little bit of asp called "Table Editor" that lets me mess around with the table structures and data. A database management kinda thing but its perfect for what I'm after

Originally posted by rymus
    I know access is rubbish... non-specific your post may be... complete bollocks your post without doubt is. If I wanted an opinion the title would have been "Hey guys, what do you think of my crappy access driven website?". Have I made my point?

If you're on any bulletin boards then you can expect opinions to crop up. You could have taken the tip on board but instead choose to berate it. Your problem.

• Advertisement

Tip? what tip? does somebody want to show me a tip in the above quote? Unless "ewwwww" is your tip I don't really see how your first post could be considered helpful in any way. I dont care that access cant handle thousands of requests at once, neither do I care that you think it's "ewwww". Thank you for voicing your completely useless opinion though, I am now fully aware of just how ewwwwy Access is. That's your good deed done for the day.

Especially in relation to web sites. They can't handle even a few concurrent connections without really showing a reduction in speed.

I pointed out that Access is particularly bad at handling concurrent connections. There are better DBMS solutions around like MySQL hence the tip. Have a good day.

I pointed out that Access is particularly bad at handling concurrent connections. There are better DBMS solutions around like MySQL hence the tip. Have a good day.
    In fairness you didn’t really give a tip you gave an unconstructive criticism. You only suggested an alternative in your last post.

Btw, there are various issues with regard to MySQL use on IIS that one would not encounter on Apache that should also be taken into account and ultimately rymus’s site is running IIS/ASP.

Furthermore rymus states in his initial post that he’s using Dreamweaver MX. I don’t know if you can use MySQL with Dreamweaver MX, but if not, it’s just not an option as rymus is evidently not a programmer.

Finally as I mentioned, Access is probably quite adequate for his site as I suspect it’s not one that will ever receive more than one visitor at a time.

As such I think your ‘tip’ was an unwarranted flame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

in fairness i think it was far from a "flame". i know anthony & he has the patience of a saint.hees helped me with loads of stuff over the years & never looks down at anyone for lack of knowledge . i think u misunderstood him & chose to jump down his throat rather than ask him what he meant.

just my opinion

Paddy

Fair enough. I just thought he was a bit judgemental on an issue that was technically questionable (not wrong, just arguable).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...how are these memo fields being populated? (i.e. are you using the form input to build an SQL INSERT/UPDATE query manually, or are you setting the contents of the fields directly using something like ADO/DAO instead (a Recordset.Fields("FieldName").Value= sort of thing)? This has a significant bearing on any problems you may be having... (simple things like double quotes in the text can bugger these things up in the wrong circumstances)

Gadget

got it sorted a few days ago... I'll come looking for your help "Next time Gadget... next time! *throaty evil laugh & cat screech*"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by rymus
    got it sorted a few days ago... I'll come looking for your help "Next time Gadget... next time! *throaty evil laugh & cat screech*"
    :D

Advertisement