Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Licences question

Options
  • 19-03-2003 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I've a full licence which has errors on it (don't ask) and I'm going to ask them to give me a corrected one soon. But I've a few questions someone might know the answer to.

What do you need other than the medical report to get the other classes on your licences. I used to have C but not any more and I'd like to put it back on my licence.

Anyone got the medical report done? What does it involve?

How can I get a motorbike licence as well as my normal full licence?

What size are the current licences. I heard reports of a credit card size licence on the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    What do you need other than the medical report to get the other classes on your licences. I used to have C but not any more and I'd like to put it back on my licence.
    Obviously you have to have passed the tests :) If it's more than 5 years since you had the class C on your full licence, they may make you go back and do the test again, but I'm not sure about this. If you're getting a provisional for a D (in the hope of getting a Bus Licence), you'll have to do a class-D theory test. You'll also have to do a class-C theory test if they make you reapply for your C driving test.

I know nothing about what the medical test involves.
    How can I get a motorbike licence as well as my normal full licence?
    You'll have to do a theory test (which is ridiculous) and apply for a class-A provisional licence, and then pass the class-A test.
    What size are the current licences. I heard reports of a credit card size licence on the way.
    Apparently so. The licence size hasn't changed at all in years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, I just got my new full licence on friday - same old oversized thing that doesn't fit in a wallet :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Whats the class C test? I didn't have to do one when I got my original licence. (ahem a little while ago alright)

Whats the class C test? I didn't have to do one when I got my original licence. (ahem a little while ago alright)

It's the truck driving test.

The theory test is a new test you have to do. Quizzes would-be truckers about hazrds in a truck, legalities on truck-driving/break periods, etc etc.

If you haven't renewed your full C licence in 10 years (not 5 :)), you'll have to do both tests to get it back.

Ring them on (1890) 40 60 40 and they'll give you the info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

a bit off-topic...

i passed my test last week, sent in application form for full licence on same day(along with obligatory prov. licence and certificate).
    It could take several weeks for council to send it out.

question is would i be prosecuted for not carrying a licence while my application is being processed by the council ? :confused:

Surely there would be a few hundred people in similar position ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gurramok
    a bit off-topic...

i passed my test last week, sent in application form for full licence on same day(along with obligatory prov. licence and certificate).
    It could take several weeks for council to send it out.

question is would i be prosecuted for not carrying a licence while my application is being processed by the council ? :confused:

Surely there would be a few hundred people in similar position ?

I photocopied my provisional and cert. before I mailed them off, just in case......

If you handed it in over the counter, you should have got a receipt which will cover you.

If not, and you get caught, just bring it to court instead of paying the fine, and by that point you should have you full licence :D
    No, seriously, I don't know what you should do.

I thought C was vans and small trucks?

I thought C was vans and small trucks?

Nope, there was a bit of a change. Large vans and small trucks is now class C1 - these are vehicles between 3.5 - 7.5 metric tonnes, unladen.
    Class C is all vehicles over 3.5 metric tonnes.

D1 is busses with a min. of 8 seats and max of 16. D is all vehicles with room for 8 or more people.

:)

Ok sorry, my mistake. whats required to get a C1? I thought it was just the medical and no test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

whats required to get a C1? I thought it was just the medical and no test?

Erm no - every vehicle category now requires a seperate test. Even getting a licence to tow a trailer requires you to sit another test for every vehicle category, though I imagine if you get a licence to drive an artic, they'll give you the car+trailer licence as well.

Categories are:
    M - Mopeds
    A1 - Motorcycles under 125cc
    A - All motorcycles

B - Passenger car weighing not more than 3.5 metric tonnes and having a passenger seating capacity for no more than 8 people in addition to the driver.

C1 - Large van/light truck - vehicle must weigh between 3.5 and 7.5 metric tonnes and have passenger seating capacity for no more than 8 people
    C - Truck - vehicle weighing more than 3.5 tonnes with passenger capacity for no more than 8 people.

D1 - Minbus - vehicle with passenger capacity for more than 8 people but no more than 16 people
    D - Bus - vehicle with passenger seating capacity for more than 8 people.

E+ {B,C1,C,D1,D} - vehicle in a given category with a trailer attached - EC is the licence needed for driving an articulated truck.

W - work vehicle or land tractor - not sure exactly what the regulations are here - I know some of the larger versions of the Mercedes Unimog off-road truck qualify as category W rather than category C - which is funny since anyone passing their car test gets an entitlement to a W licence too

• Advertisement

Ok so I've got a B (car) and a EB (car and trailer). Where can you do the test for a C1 and a C?

Incidentally how do you know all this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Chimaera probably just knows this stuff.

For us lesser mortals, I'm sure this info is available at www.drivingtest.ie and www.environ.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Erm no - every vehicle category now requires a seperate test. Even getting a licence to tow a trailer requires you to sit another test for every vehicle category, though I imagine if you get a licence to drive an artic, they'll give you the car+trailer licence as well.

this isn't 100% correct. You are allowed to tow a trailer under certain conditions even if you don't have the E+ licence. It's all to do with the weight of the trailer, weight of the towing vehicle, weight of the two combined and whether the trailer has its own brakes etc. I'm not too sure about the exact rules though - they're quite complicated. But AFAIK if you have a 'B' licence you can tow a trailer if the trailer is <750kg or does not exceed the weight of the towing vehicle and the total weight of the combination does not exceed 3500 kg.

Does anyone know for sure what the rules are? I looked on the dept of environment website and didn't find any info

Brian

Can anyone add some good info links to this stuff btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Oasis.gov.ie has some handy info on it.

Advertisement