Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving someone else car on holiday?

Options
  • 19-03-2003 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I planning on going holidays over to europe with a mate. I'd like to share the driving. Thing is hes' based in UK. How can I legally drive his car? Would I have to be put on his insurance in the UK?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You could transfer your insurance temporarily to your mates car.Some companies wont even charge you for this service.
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Doubtful. Lets just say theres a slight difference between my car and his! hee hee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Just get him to ring his insurance co. (or broker) with your details and ask if they can put you on his policy for the week or whatever.

Shouldn't be a prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might have to be put on his insurance - but living here you might have a problem.

If you are arranging travel insurance (you might not), those companies will sometimes quote for motor insurance (even if it is third party).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Victor
    You might have to be put on his insurance - but living here you might have a problem.

Shouldn't have that prob, if the UK situation is similar to here. My family frequently put American drivers (cousins etc) on our policies for when they're over here on holidays. So putting another EU national on should be even easier.

Though as you rightly point out the cover would probably be limited to 3rd party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Shouldn't have that prob, if the UK situation is similar to here. My family frequently put American drivers (cousins etc) on our policies for when they're over here on holidays.
    The difference is you are say going to France (3 different countries, not 2) - it is beeter the insurer knows this

Advertisement