Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Miles Per Tank ?

Options
  • 19-03-2003 4:15pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How many miles do you get out of the tank of your car ?

My car:

Rover Metro 1.1s
    Fill Cost: €25
    Average distance per tank: 180 miles.

I think this is crap mileage, I want what are other people's costs.

slaanesh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

It all depends on how you drive the car. A lot of stop-start short journeys will reduce the mileage by a huge amount.

I have a 1 litre Micra and €20 gets me about 150-180 miles but it's lots of short trips to and from work, involving much acceleration/deceleration.

Conversely, a full tank (€27) gets me from Cork to Manchester, however far that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

My Car:

Toyota MR2 MkII
    Fill Cost: €40
    Average distance per tank: 282 miles.

In other words, 28.5 mpg

Patrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Diesel here, Renault Megane 1.9, Fils is never over €40 and I get just about 480 miles.

On a side note... Was getting diesel this morning - bloody 90.x cent a litre! Bloody Bush and his diesel axis!

Dizz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

MGF 1.8i

Fill cost 52 Euro

300 Miles (Mixed, approx 50% open road, 50% town)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Hi all I'm new to these boards :cool:

I'm glad someone brought this topic up, anyway, I'm driving a 1.3i Mitsubishi Lancer(155,000 miles on the clock) and getting 280 miles from a full tank costing €32 Euro. Driving around town and open roads. Is this normal? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

A 1.1 Fiesta will give you 360 or so for about €33, but most of it's 5th gear rural.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Funny, I purposely drove like a granny for the duration of my tank and it didn't really affect the fuel consumption at all.

Also, leaving your choke on for a long time can eat petrol :)

Slaanesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Yamaha Virago 125

Fill cost - Has never been over 7euro
    Distance - approx 100 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

1990 Audi 80 1.8 petrol... takes 65litres (approx 55 quid)and gives me back 400-475 miles depending on journey distances!! Bloody excellent car with 450,000 miles up on it!! Beats the hell out of beemers I've owned, and to think I bought it as a stop gap between cars! Will find it hard to dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Same bike as Snaga... I get a little over 100 miles (and more if you take the few miles I could get out of the reserve tank into account) from a fill of petrol, which for me is usually less than €6. I spend about one third of my driving time in crappy urban traffic, the rest on the open road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Have a Rover 200, 1.4i.

Fill cost is almost 40euro and that will get me about 350 miles. It's a lot less than the 1.0 Micra I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Suzuki Marauder 125.

Fill cost: €10 (main tank) €2 (reserve tank).

Distance: 320-360 km (200 - 225mls) depending on a few different things.

Yes, I get fantastic mileage. :D

Used to have a Punto 1.1 and a full tank (€45) would get me about 400 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

My renault 19 1.4 petrol holds ~12 gallons/55 litres. So it would cost around 50 euros to fil it up with unleaded. I do a lot of long journeys and get around 45-50 mpg so I'd estimate I'd get around 570 miles from a tank. I don't know exactly because I've never run it dry to find out :)

But some of you guys seem to be underestimating the size of your fuel tanks. From the mileages ye're quoting and the cost of a filling a"full tank" seem very low. Eg the toyota MR2 that does 282 miles on a full tank - AFAIK the MR2 has a 12 gallon tank but 282 miles at 28.5 mpg works out at less than 10 gallons. As for the Megane diesel, i know for a fact that this car hold 13.2 gallons now if you can only get 480 miles out of a tank you're getting appalling MPG, of course your not though you've just calculated it wrongly

Unless your willing to risk running dry its impossible to know what you can get from a "full tank" you can only deduce it. Its not helped by the fact that different cars have very varying amounts left in the tank when the low fuel warning light comes on - some can a have a gallon or two which surprises a lot of people.

Brian

The way I calculate is that when I 'think' I run out it normally costs me €25 euro to fill her up, hence my calculation by looking at the measure on the odometer.

Slaanesh.

Slannesh: Do you "think" you've run out when the fuel gauge is right at the bottom? Or do you just wait till the car starts to splutter :) Assuming you're using the gauge this method isn't all that consistent or repeatable. Fuel gauges are not that accurate or sensitive so they're no good for calculations.

The way I calculate MPG is:
    Fill up my tank until the pump starts to "cut out" signalling that the tank is pretty much full.

Immediately set trip counter to zero. Drive the car for a couple of hundred miles - still several gallons left in the tank so no danger of running dry

Now fill up the tank again until the pump starts to cut out. Take note of how much it took you to refill the tank and the price per litre.

Using these figures you can work out roughly how much petrol you've used since you last reset the trip counter from this you can work out your MPG. Your car handbook will give you the tank size - so now you can work out how much you *could* get from a full tank if you ever decided to run it dry.

I have used this method on a car with a trip computer and the results compared well. I wouldn't always rely on a trip computer though I have seen them give some pretty impossible readings (99.99 mpg anyone?) I have also known people to run out of petrol because their trip computer told them they had far more petrol left than they had.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Eg the toyota MR2 that does 282 miles on a full tank - AFAIK the MR2 has a 12 gallon tank but 282 miles at 28.5 mpg works out at less than 10 gallons.

My MR2 has a 45 litre fuel tank ( 9.9 gallons ).

The MR2 Turbos have a 54 litre tank and the MR2 Spyder ( MkIII ) has a 55 litre tank.

It is doing 28.5 mpg. :)

lol brian3d, that's exactly what I'm talking about ! :) That's the way I am doing these measurements I just didn't bother going into the whole explanation you gave :)

Slaanesh.

The MR2 Turbos have a 54 litre tank and the MR2 Spyder ( MkIII ) has a 55 litre tank.

Ok sorry the MR2 I'm familar with is the Mk2 turbo, I assumed all Mk2's would have the same size tank. But I do stand by what I wrote originally that some people seem to have suspiciously small tanks :)

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Prelude 2.0 Tiptronic

Worst so far, 162 miles cost 30 euro.

best, 45 euro got me 340 miles, but that was crawling up to belfast and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A rough calculation puts my fuel consumtion at about 45 mpg, in a 96 1.2 Corsa. Most miles done commuting about 20 miles a day most of which is on open road...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well normally I can get around 30-33MPG on city/open driving in my Ibiza Cupra (1.8 20VT) but on Monday afternoon I got that down to a eco killing 6-8 MPG. Corners at 60MPH in 2nd gear and around 115 on the straights in 3rd or 4th does that to you car I suppose :). Before anyone starts giving out about those speeds it was all legal :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭jamesd

In my 00 1.4i Honda I get 300miles for €28.

Coming home with my 16V golf gti when i got it I got 15MPG but I was testing it out that night and since Ive been getting 30mpg in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Ford Fiesta 1242cc Zetec

€30 - 35 to fill the tank. Depending on how long I've been driving with the warning light on.

250 to 260 miles between fills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Nissan 100NX 1.6L Twin Cam

Fill costs me €34 thats from empty basically with petrol costing 90c a litre.

i'm getting around 270 miles on that.

pretty good considering the rest of ye like. And 1 do 2 long journeys each week up and down to college which is about 80 miles each way, then its spinning about in 2nd/3rd gear all week

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

4th gen honda prelude, 2.2vtec, €40 gets me 380 miles or so, my commute is 120 mile round trip, pretty much 60ish on cruise control for half of it.

dunno what the guy in the 2.0 prelude is at, long jourenys in my old 2.0 prelude i would be getting around 460 miles a fill. Get it tuned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

My 1.6 Civic VTi

Below high-lobe VTEC range 5,500rpm about 33mpg
    Above 5,500rpm & below 8,000rpm about 14mpg

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

9 year old Opel Corsa, just under €40 to fill, 50 ltr tank, which is just spot on 11 gallons, I can get 380 miles, 35 mpg. A heady mix of city and country driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Saxo 1.0

€40 to fill

Went for long drive on open roads, did 500 miles (50 mpg) before i had to refuel. Usually get about 400 miles (40 mpg) in both urban and open road driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Last summer, I drove about 800 miles in a rented Mondeo Diesel ('01) in a mixture of high speed motorway, and back road driving, most of it with the car fully laden and got 36mpg for the trip. Cost me about €96 in diesel - including half a tank in the UK where it costs a small fortune - a friend of mine had a Megane Scenic 1.4 petrol for the same trip, with about the same load and spent an extra €50 on fuel - even allowing for the extra cost of petrol, I was well pleased at the difference :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

aprilia rs 250 about 6 miles per litre crawlin and about 5 buryin think thats around 30mpg
    aprilia rs125 does about 185km from a 14 litre tank
    fill on 250 costs lots, about 27 quid

Advertisement