Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus were lucky last night

• 19-03-2003 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Juve were very lucky to go through to the next round last night, because if Deportivo had of scored another 2 goals against Utd., which after seeing the "reserve team" that Fergie put out along with their extremely amature performance was quite possible!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

i thought they played alrught.

about as much that can be expected from youngsters.
    O'shea as usual was a rock :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    O'shea as usual was a rock :D
    Blanc on the other hand wasn't.

and that is why im sure he will be retiring ata end of season.

Blancs a good player but when people run at him he is a huge weakness to the side.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He would not make a 1st division side, too slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Arkan

ah come on - give credit to the relatively young united side that was fielded against deportivo! ok so they didn't win but for united fans i'm sure it was great to see that the conveyor belt of young talent hasn't dried up!! Both darren fletcher & john o' shea should get a mention - 2 great young players indeed who put in excellant performances. Three cheers for the lads anyways, there's always next time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

This year has the makings of a great champions league all the big teams are still in it;

Real
    Barcelona
    Inter Milan
    AC Milan
    Man Utd
    Juventus
    Valenica

It's going to be hard to call a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>Blancs a good player but when people run at him

Well if you are a defender that's going to happen wuite a bit I'm afraid. The only reason he's in the team is to justify his huge wages.

im not saying he should be in the side, far from it. He shoulda retired years ago and he is a huge liability. He however does have some strengths, he reads the game well and has good feet if not in the running capacity :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If he should have retired years ago then surely this reflects badly on Ferguson, and may be part of the reason why they ended up trophyless last season?

He can teach O Shea a lot, but not on the pitch. Not now.

ferguson was in a tight spot and needed some 1 fast. Tbh i think he was the wrong choice but thats me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Deportivo result didn't make any difference, as Juve had the edge on them in the head-to-head (a win and a draw), so only a 4-0 loss or worse to Basle would have put Juventus out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

only a 4-0 loss or worse to Basle would have put Juventus out.

Is that not what I said?!?!?
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Originally posted by Benbaz
    Is that not what I said?!?!?
    :rolleyes:

Is it? I could have sworn you were talking about the Man U vs Deprtivo game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Benbaz
    Juve were very lucky to go through to the next round last night, because if Deportivo had of scored another 2 goals against Utd., which after seeing the "reserve team" that Fergie put out along with their extremely amature performance was quite possible!!

You're wrong there and pickarooney was right.

Deportivo could have won 10-0 against United and it still would not have made any difference. The rules for the Champions League is that if two teams finish on equal points then ranking will be determined by the two teams results AGAINST EACH OTHER rather than by goal difference. Since the results between the two were Deportivo 2-2 Juventus & Juventus 3-2 Deportivo , Juve had the edge and only way Deportivo could have pipped them was by achieving 8 points (a total that was unachievalbe by the final match).

So the only way Juventus were going to be knocked out was if Basle could have beaten them by 4 or more goals, thus nullifying their 4-0 defeat in Turin earlier in the competition and in effect qualifying themelves for the last 8 at the expense of the Italians.

Liverpool got into the quarter-finals last year thanks to this rule, as did Real Madrid in 2001. I'm sure others have benefitted likewise.

Advertisement