Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Slash GC Console Price

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Already covered in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87533

And since when is Argos the only place you can buy a GameCube? I don't think its quiet dead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Oh, I think it definitely is. Currys and dixons have stopped selling it... everywhere else is dropping prices quicker than you can say "dreamcast"... I suppose you call that successful then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

It might ironically end up being a boost for Nintendo's console. I for one will be picking one up (at a knockdown price) and I suspect others will do the same. My quest for a computer game which my girlfriend will allow to over-rule Coronation Street may be at an end (she loved Luigi's Mansion when she saw it). :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I wouldn't say GC is dead yet, but it's fighting for its life in the UK (and hence Ireland). It's not doing this badly in the rest of Europe, and it's positively rosy in the USA and Japan, but in the UK, it's sinking.

The hope would be that Dixons, Argos and Comet will manage to force Nintendo of Europe to pull its socks up. Cube isn't dying because of a fatal flaw with the hardware or the software, it's dying because of a fatal flaw with the competence of NoE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Oh, I think it definitely is. Currys and dixons have stopped selling it... everywhere else is dropping prices quicker than you can say "dreamcast"... I suppose you call that successful then?

Oh so you're more interested in how well it sells rather than how good it, and it's games are.
    When was the last time you checked if a certain make of say, DVD player, was outselling its competitors. You wouldn't care, as long as you got the best product, which is not necessarily the most popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

When was the last time you checked if a certain make of say, DVD player, was outselling its competitors.

But all DVD players play the same content (multi region apart) so that isn't the same thing at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The quality and specs of DVD's vastly vary nowadays.
    Sure the most popular games will be available on all consoles, but my point is that you don't track other products to see if they are selling well, but with consoles everybody seems to know how well each one is selling. Just because a PS2 sells 40 million, doesn't mean I would buy it over a Gamecube, or even a Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by NoelRock

you obviously know what your talking about :rolleyes:
    dixons and currys are one and the same shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

as is pc world, the reason they gave was lack of shelf space, which considering the size of p.c world in blanch anyway i consider amusing, perhaps they could get rid of some of there real expensive hardware that probably never sells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I suppose if these shops are droping it and other places are slahing the price it is a bit worrying. I don't play mine much and i only play one game anyway(Capcom vs SNK 2) so i'd only be a little dissapointed if it went down the pan. Bit of a shame though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Argos aren't dropping the cube.

They are clearing overstock, nothing more. They have stated that they will continue to get stock in especially since at this current time. Argos is sold out of cubes.

http://www.the-spoon.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Tusky
    you obviously know what your talking about :rolleyes:
    dixons and currys are one and the same shop..

They still run in different territories :rolleyes: obviously when one cancels a product line, the other will too.
    Oh so you're more interested in how well it sells rather than how good it, and it's games are.

Not at all - but business doesn't work on the basis of how good a product is. Otherwise we'd be surrounded by Betamax and Dreamcast, wouldn't we?

On another note - does anyone notice the amount of Argos employees that are filling the forums and such telling the world about how well Gamecube's are selling? It seems as though every Argos employee in Britain is a gamecube fan at this rate - or some zealots are getting a bit O.T.T...

Finally, for those of you getting excited about Gamecube *gasp* selling out - don't cack your pants yet - according to someone I know who works there, they generally only carry about 5 of each console. Not sure if this is the same in U.K... but I imagine it is roughly... Argos are generally selling out of any popular product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

This really is an improvement on nintendo's SNES and N64 days. No more bloody price fixing. I'm definately getting a GC soon. The games are going for nothing.

At the risk of sounding like another whiney PAL gamer I'm just going to add that Ninty really need to start getting their act together with conversions. The dialogue in games is written very early on in development and symulatanious worldwide releases are very possible.

Are there many western developers working on Cube? There's Jeff Minters' Unity and a few multiformat titles but thats a bout it.

Advertisement