Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s video to tv

• 19-03-2003 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

yo

i just got an "GEFORCE4 MX 440SE 64MB DDR TV OUT"

it comes with a tv out connection that is an svideo slot.

im wondering what is the best way to convert from svideo to coaxial in a tv?

the tv is really old so no scart.

i just talked to a fella in a shop here and he said something about rf convertor. sounds expensive.

dw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

i was wonderin the same about a lap top, a friend of mine has one and he bought a s-vid to scart and its not workin he said he just plugged it in and flipped trough the av channels and nothing!

any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Some places do a custom Svideo to RCA adaptor ...

last time i checked (although they are expensive) www.svideo.com did a svdieo to coax solution. Shop around tho ive seen them cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

yeah, i saw that site.. i'll keep looking around for info...

banbutcher: try using the Fn + f5 button.. thats what worked on my mates laptop.. worked perfect.. he did have loads of cables, the exact make up of which i cant remember..

dw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

i was wonderin the same about a lap top, a friend of mine has one and he bought a s-vid to scart and its not workin he said he just plugged it in and flipped trough the av channels and nothing!
    Did you have the laptop turned on before you pluged it in?

I discovered that mine would not work as I had the laptop on before I pluged it in.Something to do with it detecting the TV when booting:confused:

Timeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

you can buy svideo leads and scart connectors with svideo in on them in peats - generally you'll need either a function key combination or a software app to get the tv out to display

you can probably download the app if you need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

timeout i just pluged it in! didnt know about startin the lappy with th es-video lead in, ill give that a try thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

My lappy has an ATI card in it, and theres a little option in the advanced display properties, called displays of all things..

Like timeout says there the TV needs to be plugged in for the laptop to detect it. Once thats sorted you should have the options available.

fn+F5 can do it but on my lappy thats only to swap between the laptops display and an external monitor. To swap to the TV theres an extra piece of software in the system tray. That is enabled in the advanced display properties/options dialogue.

Unfortunately the first time tis not just a matter of plug and pray.

But once its set up initially, its just plug it in and select the correct scheme from the taskbar app.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

Your better off buying a new telly with scart (pretty cheap second hand) as the coax converter is going to have a hell of a time getting your sound from your sound card into the telly. I mucked around with all sorts of coax solutions that never fully worked (ie perfect sound, no visuals or perfect visuals no sound, both sound and visuals but neither crystal clear) until i just wandered into peats and got 15 metres of s-vhs, 15 meters of stereo minijack to l and r channel minijack, and a 2 way, switchable s-vhs-scart adaptor. Perfect first time. It does need a reboot to detect, and I run the tv as clone of my desktop using the nview feature of the standard nvidia detonator drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

yeah, i was in a shop today that had all the connectors and stuff, but it was coming to about 40€, so i'll just wait a while till we get a new telly and see what the options are then..

thanks for the help

dw

Advertisement