Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court refuses application for Baggot St pub

Options
  • 19-03-2003 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭

I have to admit I have personal involvement in this one. I was asked years ago to price it (next door to Murphys shop). But this doesn't auger well for increased competition in the licenced market.
    http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/389357?view=Eircomnet
    Court refuses application for Baggot St pub
    Wednesday, 19th March, 2003

The High Court today refused to grant a declaration allowing a premises at Upper Baggot Street, Dublin, to be operated as a bar.

The President of the High Court, Mr Justice Finnegan refused the application on the basis that the existing number of licensed premises in the neighbourhood was adequate.

Mr Eugene Bellew and Mr Fred Murphy directors of Whiteside Inn Limited had sought the declaration for the 7,800 square feet premises at 11 Upper Baggot Street.

The application was opposed by Mr Michael and Mr Frank Quinn, who operate four pubs in the Baggot Street area and by Mr Hugh Courtenay, who operates Smyth's bar, also in the Baggot Street area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Victor
    I have to admit I have personal involvement in this one. I was asked years ago to price it (next door to Murphys shop). But this doesn't auger well for increased competition in the licenced market.

Mr Eugene Bellew and Mr Fred Murphy directors of Whiteside Inn Limited had sought the declaration for the 7,800 square feet premises at 11 Upper Baggot Street.
    I have no problem with competition..
    but 7800 sq feet
    fer fecks sake we have enough superpubs already.
    (and yep I noted who the objecters are)..
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I work close by. Most nights of the week after work you can't get a seat in any of them. It's ridiculous not granting a licence. The competition is needed. Most pubs in the area rounded up, or doubled the increases by Guinness recently.

Advertisement