Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The War Has Started.

Options
  • 19-03-2003 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Taken from http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1084275,00.html
    WARPLANES ATTACK

British and American warplanes are attacking artillery units in southern Iraq, the Pentagon has said.

Officials told Sky News that ten artillery pieces have been destroyed.

The Pentagon said the artillery units may have had chemical or biological weapons which could be used on US and UK troops on the border with Kuwait, said Sky News correspondent Keith Graves in Washington.

He said: "The Pentagon said warplanes have been and are now in action over southern Iraq."

Graves said the Pentagon had not revealed if the warplanes were American or British. The UK's Ministry of Defence confirmed British planes were used.

An MoD spokeswoman described the patrols as "standard `no-fly' zone activity".

"We are targeting systems which are a threat to our forces," the spokeswoman said.

British and US aircraft have been patrolling the northern and southern "no-fly" zones since the end of the last Gulf War.

The patrols have stepped up in recent weeks, targeting Iraqi air defence systems in preparation for the expected invasion.

Around 250,000 British and American troops are in Kuwait ready to invade Iraq.

Sky's Emma Hurd, in Kuwait with British forces, said there are no signs that troops are launching a ground invasion.

Sky's David Chater, in Baghdad, said there are no signs of the city being attacked.

He said the atmopshere was "very tense" and locals had taken refuge in bomb shelters.

The Iraqi capital - home to up to 6 million people - had been turned into a "ghost town", he said.

"It's a time of fear," he added.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Usual crap. If you're enforcing a no-fly zone then you take out any SAM or AAA site you see, and any radar installation that targets you. That's been going on for ages.

But they're saying they're going after artillery? Different thing altogether. That is not "standard `no-fly' zone activity". Shoddy reporting methinks. Ah well, doesn't really matter whether it gets bombed today or tomorrow I suppose..

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Did the gulf war ever stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

We're on the verge of a new era in world politics...The US will dominate international affairs just like the Roman Empire did some time ago....but as history tells us, I am convinced there will be a pay back for this in the form of terrorist spectaculars which will become the norm over the next 10 years. I'm sure Bush and Co are licking their lips at the prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by SearrarD
    Did the gulf war ever stop?
    Depends on whether or not Saddam actually destroyed his WMDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    Depends on whether or not Saddam actually destroyed his WMDs.
    While not WMD, he still has about sixty Al-Samoud 2 missiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The Surgeon

I am convinced there will be a pay back for this in the form of terrorist spectaculars which will become the norm over the next 10 years. I'm sure Bush and Co are licking their lips at the prospect.

I'm sure they will. Every empire has to justify its conquests. Hitler had the spread of communism and need for "living space"; Soviet Russia had the threat of fascism and capitalism; Senator Palpatine had the Trade Federation and the Separatists. And George W. has terrorism. Long live shallow excuses for pursuing one thing: power and domination. Oh wait, that's two things.

Advertisement