Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL and more than one pc

Options
  • 19-03-2003 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I'm interested in getting adsl and I'd like to know if it is possible to have more than one computer on the same adsl connection, and if so how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

presuming your running XP, this is easy. Your PC's will need network cards. You need either:

DSL modem + ethernet hub

or

DSL router with sufficient number of ports

so if you already have a home network, you only need the modem which your DSL company will provide

in XP you use internet connection sharing

have set this up at work and it works a treat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by unkel
    presuming your running XP, this is easy. Your PC's will need network cards. You need either:

DSL modem + ethernet hub

or

DSL router with sufficient number of ports

so if you already have a home network, you only need the modem which your DSL company will provide

in XP you use internet connection sharing

have set this up at work and it works a treat :)

You will need to ask your DSL provider for an ethernet DSL modem to plug into the router. Your best bet is an internet appliance with NAT / firewall. It will have one socket marked WAN which you connect to the DSL modem. And perhaps four sockets marked LAN1, LAN2 etc. Plug your PCs into these ports. This set-up will also allow your computers to network with each other (share files, printers etc.). Wi-Fi wireless versions of this structure are also available.

If you can only get a USB DSL modem you are going to have to set-aside a computer to act as a firewall and network hub connection.

A firewall is important with a broadband connection to keep hackers out of your system. NAT allows all your PCs to share the same IP number (a networking address like a "phone number" which is required to communicate via the internet).

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If Pcs are close this is easiest and cheapest option.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87553

2 NICs and some crossover cable.

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    If Pcs are close this is easiest and cheapest option.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87553

2 NICs and some crossover cable.

kdjac

Might appear cheaper but one is leaving one's hard drives open to the world!

I wouldn't say easier either. a) One has to find a crossover cable which is a challenge in itself in Ireland's poorly stocked computer shops. or b) Or make one which requires special tools and a pinout knowledge search.

If you think you have nothing to worry about on your HD, print out the entire drive and tell yourself you wouldn't be worried if the stuff was in a torn binbag outside your door during a bin strike! Have you been working on company stuff on your home PC? What would their views be if their files became public?

zz..

Crossover cable is €3 for 5 metres in B and Q they have millions of it.
    :confused:

Zonealarm does a fine job of keeping gateway secure ,and you get 2 licences and install it on both machies.

The odds of a bad person hacking you are very remote.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

thruthfully just ask your provider do you have to buy equipment from them if you don't just buy yourself a cheap dsl router, and forget about getting an ethernet modem from the supplier to put into a router.

Crossover cable is €3 for 5 metres in B and Q they have millions of it.
    :confused:

Zonealarm does a fine job of keeping gateway secure ,and you get 2 licences and install it on both machies.

kdjac

While Zonealarm used to be an excellent product, the current release is causing a lot of problems for people. Do a quick search in google groups using keywords "zone alarm problems" and you'll see what I mean.

zz..

I only installed latest update recently meant to be better than the last for small networks, seems ok now no problems yet cept longer boot up time.

Anyway original poster has 2 options, be a cheap git like me and use NIC to NIC with crossover cable suits me there will never be a 3rd pc in my house. and use a software firewall im using the USB modem.

Or get the router etc and have multiple connections and better protection.

My setup cost €23 (not including Zonealarm)
    Router prices not sure but aint €23.

kdjac

I only installed latest update recently meant to be better than the last for small networks, seems ok now no problems yet cept longer boot up time.

What operating system are you using?

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

The odds of you being targetted by a bad person may be small. The odds of you being attacked are a different matter altogether. There are bots probing for vulnerable systems all the time. Just look at the logs generated by any firewall, and you'll see lots of hits from remote sites that are extremely unlikely to be "friendly".

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ardmore
    The odds of you being targetted by a bad person may be small. The odds of you being attacked are a different matter altogether. There are bots probing for vulnerable systems all the time. Just look at the logs generated by any firewall, and you'll see lots of hits from remote sites that are extremely unlikely to be "friendly".

Absolutely.

Sceptics should download PortsLock* from http://www.ntutility.com/pl/download.html and leave their machine online for a day or two with it logging in the background.

Have a look at the monitoring window (selecting advanced output) when done!

There are thousands of bastard port sniffing things out there looking for an open door. They make google look like an OAP.

zz..

PS* Works with Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003

Speaking of routers and related boxes www.cisco.com have this evening announced the acquisition of www.linksys.com for $500 million in stock.

zz..

My pc is on 24/7, hers is on about 10 hours a day ,she gets 0 port scans (zonealarm suppresses everything to hers) i get about 100 to 150 a day.

Zonelarm zapro takes a while to load on Xp pro OS.

kdjac

This thread has gone so off topic ....LOL :D

kdjac

This thread has gone so off topic ....LOL :D

kdjac

Assuming you are referring to the Cisco / Linksys post no it hasn't gone off topic!

It is underscoring the growing demand for internet appliances in the global mass broadband environment - something that has yet to emerge in Ireland.

Firewall software is becoming feature bloated as developers add bells and whistles to outscore their competitors on the marketing front. Some of these "features" cause software conflicts and mess up other applications and files. Some products are negligently coded and rushed to market. Because they penetrate the skin of the operating system unlike other software, they can do more damage than a scud missile with a faulty GPS device in worst case scenarios.

Additionally they are running on the same system that they are supposed to be protecting, so they too are vulnerable to manipulation by "bad people".

Internet appliances run outside the PC - avoiding conflicts and because they are stripped down for the task in hand (and usually don't use Microsoft operating systems!) they have far fewer nooks and crannies to exploit.

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

i know this isn't for everyone. but some might be interested in
    http://www.smoothwall.org.
    Turns an old pentium or even 486 into an internet gaetway/router/firewall. Does everything you'd need, and more. And all configurable by a web interface like most net appliances. It runs on linux, but that's completely hidden and you don't need to know anything about it. Nowadays half the hardware net appliances you buy run on linux too, you just never see it.
    Greg

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by quozl
    i know this isn't for everyone. but some might be interested in
    http://www.smoothwall.org.
    Turns an old pentium or even 486 into an internet gaetway/router/firewall. Does everything you'd need, and more. And all configurable by a web interface like most net appliances. It runs on linux, but that's completely hidden and you don't need to know anything about it. Nowadays half the hardware net appliances you buy run on linux too, you just never see it.
    And that old 486 will require a couple of hundred watts of electricity. Even 100 watts will cost you about €1.50 a week. A firewall appliance will usually run at a fraction of that, so it will pay for itself over the lifetime of the device in electricity usage alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

I've ordered broadband from ntl ('Always-On' 600).
    I have two pc's I want to use with this connection, both are running XP Home edition.
    (1) - Athlon xp 2100 512mb ddr.
    (2) - Petium 3 450mhz 256mb sdram.

I already have a 3com etherlink xl 10/100 NIC.
    NTL will supply a cable modem (not sure what make, model etc).

Can I plug the cable modem into an Ethernet hub and then plug each computer into the hub via a NIC? or would I have to set one of the computers as a server.
    Also what type of cables would I need?
    Are home network kits any use?
    Where's the best place to buy the required hardware (in Dublin), and how much will it all cost?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Advertisement