Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle out (but well done anyway..)

• 20-03-2003 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

They were up against it, so no surprise they're out but I think Newcastle have done well and will definitly do better next season, Arsenal on the other hand are just embarrasing - the best team in England....?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

From what i saw of the newcastle games, they shoulda won it and were very unlucky.
    Arsenal were kinda unlucky (big maybe) not to have a peno but if there was any contact it was marginal. They started brightly but they really looked like they didnt have many ideas.

Arsenal are the best in the Premiership, no doubt, but in Europe atmt hey aint even close.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Despite being dirty playacting fckers Valencia deserved to win. As usual in the CL, Arsenal were shite at the back and not particularily good up front either.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

:(
    there was contact with Pires's leg

but Jeffers is really starting to annoy me now. Ljungberg touched him and (while obviously thinking it was a Valencia player) he fell to the ground like a ton of bricks. this kind of bull**** is going to cost Arsenal big some day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Watched the Valencia game. Wiltord will get a rollicking for his part in the 2nd goal. As for Pires doing his Jeffers impression, it was actually a decent dive. Could have got a peno on another day. There was minimal contact at best. Looks like Wenger and the boys will end up with no cups this season. Chelsea will knock them out of the FA Cup, and United will win the league. Unless Liverpool win all their remaining games, and the others get deducted points for some reason or other!
    Newcastle were unlucky, played well, bad finishing, shocking defending. Not what ye want to be doing against a team like Barca...

;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well it will shut arsen whinger up for a while, by his reckoning they were going to win Europe this year and dominate it, ah well there is always next year! :p

He fked up by taken henry off against Roma, it backfired.

Now all we need is for Everton to beat them at the weekend and Chelsea to knock them out of the FA cup.

Shame about Newcastle, they put themselves out with shambolic defending.
    They had to get Leverkusen to win as well though.

So I am sure all the non United supporters will get behind them for the quarter final ( Was that a pig I saw fly over my house!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by yop

He fked up by taken henry off against Roma, it backfired.

Henry was injured.

Glad to see Barca win, I was hoping they would field a strong team. Craig Bellamy might have won it for Newcastle had he worn his shooting boots, the amount of chances he had was embarrasing. Shows how poor Barcas defence is atm.

As for Arsenal, well if you don't win games you don't progress. They cant seem to perform well in Europe at all.

Looking forward to the draw now, hopefully Barca dont get Real and hopefully Utd do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Arsenal only have themselves to blame really. When you can't win your home games you can't expect to get far with such competition around you. Henry took his goal well though.

As for Newcastle. How many times does Bellamy have to shoot before hitting the net? They were very unlucky not to pull one or two goals back last night. Well doen to Bobby Robson anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I hope Man Utd get Real cos the way Tv3 bleedin show their matches ,no matter who Utd get they gonna be on tv so i hope its a decent team.

Im actually looking forward to when Sky start showing CL next season as im sure i will be able to choose what game i want to watch.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I hope Man Utd get Real cos the way Tv3 bleedin show their matches ,no matter who Utd get they gonna be on tv so i hope its a decent team.

Who the hell does the programming at TV3? Real Madrid are on the verge of going out of Europe and HAVE to win away to Loc Moscow and TV3 show a meaningless match of Utd reserves against a team who cannot go through?

Pah! I mean, most Utd fans would have been in bed by then (seeing as they're all under 12) and the vast majority of the rest probably didn't even know they were playing (aww - I thought it was Wednesday for the Champions Cup matches..)

Still - much as it kills me to say it - I'm delighted at the player John O'Shea is becoming...

So yeah - TV3 - sort it out!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Jesus Stapleton was f**king annoying last night! When Rufete (I think) got a slap on the jaw when the ball was gone, Stapleton said "How can the crowd react to that?! Sure they were watching the ball!". How in fuck does he know that? How can he say that about 50,000 people in the stadium were all watching the ball. And he was doing that all game long.

Arsenal didn't really deserve to go through. One win in eight games (I think) shouldn't be rewarded with a Quarter final place.

I would have liked to see Newcastle go through though. They have played out of their skin this year in the CL. They deserve a pat on the back for the football they played. Bellamy should be shot for the amount of chances he wasted last night though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 x2dz

if you have digital your suppose to be able to have all the matches and you can flick between them.
    that would be well decent.

Pah! I mean, most Utd fans would have been in bed by then (seeing as they're all under 12) and the vast majority of the rest probably didn't even know they were playing (aww - I thought it was Wednesday for the Champions Cup matches..)

o grow up, as usual someone has to have a dig at manu fans when its not really in their hands what match tv3 shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

o grow up, as usual someone has to have a dig at manu fans

of course I'll have a dig - you've been winning everything for most of the last 10 years!! And as a result the majority of your fan base know nothing of football, are bandwagon jumpers and will desert the ship once the glory days are over. I've total respect for real Utd fans who know their sport (my best mate is red) - it's the 'Oh, did we win again' brigade that give you a bad name.

Take the ribbing B-K-DzR - it's just part of the game - no (major) disrespect intended....
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

whats that Arsene Wenger,

"go thru the season unbeaten" Nope

"win the champions league and dominate Europe" Nope

"power in england has swung to Arsenal" Not on last nights showing if thats the best England have to offer

Chelsea to win the F.A Cup and Utd to win the league hopefully then Mr Wenger will learn to bite his tongue before making stupid comments.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Who the hell does the programming at TV3? Real Madrid are on the verge of going out of Europe and HAVE to win away to Loc Moscow and TV3 show a meaningless match of Utd reserves against a team who cannot go through?

Go and check what time the kick off for the match was and come back to us and then tell us why the match was not on

Of course they will show them, they are the only english team left in the CL. Is your point that TV3 always show United?
    Im actually looking forward to when Sky start showing CL next season as im sure i will be able to choose what game i want to watch.

I suppose will I watch United, Arsenal, Newcastle or Everton :p;)

Go on the sposs.

Thats whats makes it so funny, the gimp makes all these statements and fufils none of them, Pride before the fall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Neither Newcastle or Arsenal had the quality necessary. I don't think either team embarrased their nation (or ours for that matter). Arsenal had a very tough group, and their response will be interesting. Some people think they will take the defeat to heart and bottle the English title, while others think that Arsenal getting knocked out of Europe is the worst thing that can happen to Man Utd, as regards the Premier League. For what its worth, Arsenal for me are a better team than Man Utd, and still easily the best team in England. United just have the knack of Europe, something that Arsenal are in the process of learning. I am aure they will regret the negativity shown in both Ajax games, and the inability to score ordinary goals.

Killah_b: i hate the bandwagon fans, they give the rest of us a bad name. I might have started supporting them just before or during the glory years but i believe i am a true fan. (m8 supported em and taught me all about them. he infact got me interested in football) Hopefully fair weather fans will feck off to arsenal tbh.

I dont mind ppl bashing Manu, sure its all in good fun (usually ;) ) and part of the rivalry between fans but what i hate is ppl turning a thread which had nothing to do with em and bashing em just for the sake of it. It happens a lot on these boards by supporters of all sides. Thats what gets my knickers in a twist.

/me drops issue now tho as if we keep replying we'll hijack another thread :x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would prefer to watch the likes of Inter and Real Barce then Untied vs Depor in a meaningless game yes i think TV3 will only show Utd as the majority of people watching would be Utd fans it makes sense.
    But im not a Utd fan and would prefer to choose the best the game available hopefully i will be able to as the top match will be on Sky Sports Extra and the other games spread accross the other channels and Interactive will allow you to pick any game Sky has a live feed for, most will have no commentary.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

you cant say Arsenal are still learning in Europe,this is their Fifth year in a row in the champions league,im sure i dont have to remind anyone Utd won it on their fifth attempt.

Q.E.D :)

• Advertisement

>Of course they will show them, they are the only english team left in the CL

Why should that be an automatic pre-requisite for what game they show?

I'm not defending Arsenal saying that they can defend their position of still being learning now, but to me its obvious.

United won it at the fifth attempt because they had a better team than Arsenal do now, and they had a better team than they themselves have now.

It might be their fifth season, but its not Sol Campbell's fifth season, or Ashley Cole, and many more, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The TV game that was most laughable was Tuesdays
    non-event Man Utd v Deportivo, and of course both channels screened it. I imagine the ITV bosses who payed a fortune for CL rights were well pissed off.
    I imagine if 4 million sat through it all they'd be lucky
    (ITV that is). As for TV3 they're just insufferable.

Only one group stage next year thank God. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Well ITV own TV3 now so blame them aswell.
    I hate having to watch a game on TV3, thank christ Sky bought the rights for next season. No more Frank, Packie, Mick Martin, Trevor Welch/Aiden Cooney...holy christ on a scud missile, I'd love to feck the lot of them into a bus with "I love the USA" on one side of it, "God bless the Brits" on the other and make them drive through the streets of Iraq singing Saddam Hussein is a horse's arse...

:D

you will still need to have access to TV3 (Trevor "REEEAWL Madrid" Welsh, Aidan Cooney (i don't like that man at all) etc.) or ITV (Boring Des and co.) because Sky will have live coverage of all games except for 2 on Tuesday night when ITV show them (most likely English clubs). what ITV show, TV3 will probably follow as they continue to be more like ITV every year

you will still need to have access to TV3 (Trevor "REEEAWL Madrid" Welsh, Aidan Cooney (i don't like that man at all) etc.) or ITV (Boring Des and co.) because Sky will have live coverage of all games except for 2 on Tuesday night when ITV show them (most likely English clubs). what ITV show, TV3 will probably follow as they continue to be more like ITV every year

i think maybe perhaps that was a better arsenal performance then usual crap european ones. the 4 drawn games cost us dearly as does having langers like Ashley Cole or Krud and Miss Cygan in the squad. whatever Cygan was doing in the middle of the field the other night when the first goal was put in by an unmarked Carew, christ knows but were out of Europe now and its time to concentrate on the domestic front. As for that fu*ckin spa Wiltord, a kick up the ar/se he needs. Arsenal just havent put ant heart into their european games and lack ideas and spirit. Vieira is the most non-vocal leader the club has ever had. he should scream down their necks when they screw up.

Advertisement