Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SETI@home

Options
  • 20-03-2003 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Recently someone set me up to run the SETI@home software, i don't mind doing it while i'm browsing and downloading etc. just wondering do many other boards users run this or do they bother?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

or you could do something a litle more productive with your spare cpu time.
    follow the United Devices link to download the software.

there's plenty of reasons why not to bother with SETI@home...

...the chances we'll find anything interesting are slim to none.

...if we do find something, it'll only be interesting and not really usefull to us at all.

...that something would be very far away.

The United Devices software works on the same principles as SETI@home, but uses it for a much greater, and much more useful cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You should do a search on slashdot wooly for those exact same excuses. People went in depth about why they are full of ****.
    ...the chances we'll find anything interesting are slim to none.

I wonder why then SETI are now rescanning certain parts of the sky that may contain intelligent life based on the years of data processed by SETI@HOME.
    ...if we do find something, it'll only be interesting and not really usefull to us at all.

Not true either.

Lets pretend you sitting on another planet doing the same thing when you find the information being transmitted from little blue planet called earth.

You can't believe it that carbon life can exist when it's been shown only reptiles are capable of intelligent life! And what's this?! They are using silicone instead of organic technology? Maybe if I study thier transmissions some more I can integrate thier technology to ours. What's this! They also have a way to solve the Xyzqzyxx Virus! And thier culture, it's totally alien to us and has helped us to re-examine how we view this world.

Or failing that, you can get to watch "Days of our lives".
    ...that something would be very far away.

Just because something is very far away doesn't mean it's useless. Stars are very far away yet we have been able to discover loads of stuff about them that has helped our technology advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

ok, thats fair enough.

but..
    rescanning certain parts of the sky that may contain intelligent life
    May contain intelligent life. its still a 'what if'.

i've got nothing against SETI@home. i think its ludacris for us to
    belive that our planet is the only one in the universe with life on
    it. i even ran SETI@home myself for a couple of months.

if we're gonna find some intelligent life out there, then we will
    find it sooner or later. in the mean time, its far more benificial to
    us try and cure cancer and other diseases.

so, there!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Or failing that, you can get to watch "Days of our lives".
    The first thing that aliens would see is Hitler opening the 1936 Munich Olympics. Of course, by the time that they recieve that the human race will probably be long gone. Maybe they'll write a book about it, called "How Not To Run A Planet."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement