Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Won't turn off

• 20-03-2003 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

A guy I know whose Modem was fried in a lightning storm, also developed another problem at the same time. The PC Won't shut down.

Well what really happens is you hit shutdown, and the machine shuts down. Followed by a beep then up it goes again, basically a full restart.
    (Holding down the power button for 5 seconds does shut it down, but he'd prefer it to work the way it used to).

Hardware or Software guys, this must have happened to someone before. By the way, it's windows 98 and always worked fine. (No win2k/xp fanboys suggesting upgrades please !).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It could possibly be a wake-on-modem malfunction. I had a similar problem with a network card in the past - when the machine shut down it immediately restarted because of the wake-on-lan feature. Disabling this in the bios stopped it. Is there some kind of wake on modem feature in his system's bios?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Another possibility is CMOS got reset. Have a gander at the options in there, might turn up something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Actually, thanks for putting me on the right track stephen, there was no power on modem or lan or whatever but there was wake on SME or something, so I disabled that and all was well.

Ta very much. I thought I had seen every problem a PC could have after all these years, I guess you really do see something new every day !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

win98se has a shutdown problem. (assuming your using SE)

search the internet for windows 98 se shutdown supplement.

Advertisement