Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memorable Boss Encounters?

Options
  • 20-03-2003 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

What end of level/game bosses stand out in memory for you? The kind of boss that when you see it for the first time you go "wow!". Or the kind of boss that creams you for the first few times until you figure out how to beat it, and the feeling you get when you do actually beat it?

In recent memory, the boss at the end of Rayman 3 was challenging (but fun).

Going back in time, I remember seeing the bosses in Turrican on the C64 (they were HUGE, and very impressive at the time).

Bowser at the end of Super Mario World was cool at the time (the zooming clown face thingy).

Sephiroth from FFVII goes without saying! ;)

Bosses can also be memorable for how much they suck. Quake, anyone? :)

Any other favourites? Or least favourite?

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Without a shadow of a doubt you can lock this thread now there no better /harder more amazing boss that Ganonn in Zelda Ocarina of Time.
    Even when you beat him at Tennis you knew there was more to come and the final stab when you finally nail him makes the most rewarding sit on your ass and smile moment in video game history :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Sephiroth, naturally.

Psycho Mantis in MGS.

Oh, and it's not the end of game boss, but in FFX,
    the first time you fight Seymour and he summons Anima on you...

In terms of classic old games, the boss at the end of the first level of R-Type was pretty damn memorable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

the first resident evil boss cuz he creamed me many a time...never finished the game(beat him) cuz i only had it on two day rental and never knew that you could combine weapons(talk about stupid), never really bothered going back and doing it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Kraid and Motherbrain from Super Metroid,
    Kraid scared the sh*t out of you as he was 3 or 4 screens tall!
    And motherbrain, who wasn't scared when she started doing the super laser move when you had no health!

The Final tyrant/tyrants from RE2, cool looking and evil, but too easy.

The Cyberdemon from Doom, he is a badass mofo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

first time i saw the Shambler in Quake 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

All the bosses from Doom. Nothing fancy by today’s standard, just good old-fashioned unstoppable carnage.

The sound of those chainguns spinning still haunts my dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Hmm, sadly all mine have pretty much been said already, although I had all of them in mind before i read the thread -

1) Sephiroth
    The mother of all baddies...
    2) Cyberdemon
    Scary shit...
    3) Twin-Head (also FF7)
    One of the bosses who caused me serious difficulties the first time i played FF7, he was the first boss I had to seriously use strategy against.
    4) First level original R-Type boss
    I was just talking about this one the other day, Ive always thought that the Cyberdemon was slightly modelled on this...
    5) Shambler
    Less so than the others, but it did have a kind of aura of silence around it which was awesome the first time you fought one.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Giblet
    Kraid and Motherbrain from Super Metroid,
    Kraid scared the sh*t out of you as he was 3 or 4 screens tall!
    And motherbrain, who wasn't scared when she started doing the super laser move when you had no health!

All of metroids bosses were good, always have, always will be(crossed fingers for metroid prime). Even on the new GBA metroid fusion. All the bosses are done really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

That huge alien yoke you had to kill towards the end of half life was fairly impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Dr. Robotnik on the end of Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System II. He sucked. That could've been down to the fact that I couldn't kill him!!! Keep in mind I was only likkle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

The bosses from res evil 1 and 2 were fairly good, but once u know how to beat em it really is a sinch. (same with ne boos tho)

i enjoyed the way in res evil 1 u couldnt actually kill him at first, you had to avoid him until that thing happened. Res 2 u just rana round and fired when u could.

Think the one that most stands out for me was metal gear(i think thats what it was called) from metal gear solid. Was just so cool to fight him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the 7 Metal Gear Rays near the end of MGS2

now that one one biatch of a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The first time I saw the dirty great serpentine things in Half Life that tracked you by sound was quite awesome, because I was really absorbed in the game, and was quite surprised to see one of them break through the window and drag a scientist back out.
    The sewer worm thing in Opposing force was pretty sool too.

Some of my favorite bosses are the ones from Oni though, because they're really cool fights. (fantastic game, people, give it a try!)

My personal fave is Sarevok from Baldur's Gate. He was one mean badass mudderfugger.Ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Originally posted by Asuka

3) Twin-Head (also FF7)
    One of the bosses who caused me serious difficulties the first time i played FF7, he was the first boss I had to seriously use strategy against.

The guy in the ice mountain places with the fire-based and ice-based heads? I jammed my way through that, my first two characters got owned pretty easily but Barett was equipped to absorb ice attacks so anything it threw at him got cancelled out instantly :)

Anyyyway, I'd have to say Sephiroth and from MGS,
    the encounter with Metal Gear itself where it's absolutely T O W E R I N G over you, bit breathtaking :)

Oh, and I thought Xan from UT was a good one because it instilled a bit of atmosphere and feeling of a 'final battle' into a run of the mill 1v1 in an FPS game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Kain near the end of Shining Force.

That big bloke from Serious Sam, scared me shatless the 1st time :o

And Sephiroth.

Originally posted by Littletinyman
    The guy in the ice mountain places with the fire-based and ice-based heads?
    The very same... it took me ages to work out that killing both heads together was a Very Bad Idea(TM)...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    the 7 Metal Gear Rays near the end of MGS2

now that one one biatch of a fight.

loved that bit in the game...

Wouldn't say it was a tough to beat... After the first one or two attempts you realise the pattern and then its just a matter of time and patience....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I thought the Metal Gear games were ridiculously simple. So simple in fact I broughtback MGS2 within a fortnight and swapped it for Vice City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

DemonGate FF7 -

GOD I HATED HIM EVERY TIME I'D HAVE HIM BET HE'D HIT ME WITH THOSE BIG BOLDERS AND KILL ME DEAD TOOK ME FIVE TRYS TO KILL HIM!!!!!!!:mad:

Yeah, he was a cunt for two reasons - he had resistance to practically ALL magic types (but not typeless magic), and he had the element of serious surprise on his side (having just fought a boss). I had just got Bahamut though, which delivered some serious typeless smackdown :)

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Going back in time, I remember seeing the bosses in Turrican on the C64

Yea, I remember them on the amiga, and they were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Well the most memorable bosses I can remember (not quite bosses though) were the lava monsters just before the main boss in serious sam 2. They were bloody massive and it took my breath away at first, especially when they threw meteors at you. They were huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Kdjac named my fave and you've summed up more or less the rest :)

When your 10yrs old and you reach the end of lvl 1 on rtype, you will be scared :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

my favourite boss ever was in Revenge Of Shinobi on the mega drive.

It's the mech T-Rex that at that time was a bastard to kill without losing your 20 lives which you'd spent ages building up but when the bastard blows up **** me it's satisfying.

Also, in Alien Storm the last boss was a bit of a bitch.

(God how I miss my mega drive 2) anyone out there wanna donate a sell a working one to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Big end boss in serious sam was bloody impressive, Sephiroth, those huge blind serpents from HL are pretty memorable and I loved the pyramid head thing from SH2 - It was just so weird, I'll never forget the cut-scene where I first saw it.
    The one where you walk in on him flinging those mannequin leg monsters around the kitchen :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Baby Bowser at the end of Yoshi's Island was pretty cool. He was absolutely massive and the way he slowly walked towards you as you desperately tried to hit him with those giant eggs.
    Also the alien queen in Aliens Versus Predator was pretty damn cool especially when you opened the air hatch and blasted her out in to space while you desperately clutched on to whatever you could find to avoid being sucked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

The Bosses in the Strider Coin Op were stunning for their time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

The end-boss in Sonic 2 on the mega-drive. I could never kill him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ok, may not have been the most popular game, but I really liked they way Summoner (1) introduced the big bosses, like the rock boss assembling himself before you from rocks lying around on the ground.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

nice one lex, strider was one of those games that drifted far far back in memory :)

Neo - what did he do, I don't remember them all but I remember clearing every game of sonic released for the mega drive in no time :D Was this the battle when he takes to a plane in the last bit?

Advertisement