Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memorable Boss Encounters?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I forgot one of the most impressive bosses of all time - the end boss in Serious Sam. You battle through this huge level and out towards a massive pyramid in the middle of the desert.... And then the boss comes walking over the top of the level you've just fought through, about 50 times higher than the biggest building in it. Breathtaking stuff. Shame you had to fight through such a bloody tedious game to get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

The boss at the end of Soldier of Fortune because it was crap.

In fact the last few parts of the game were crap. It had no need to go all sci-fi then bam microwave pulse guns and sh*t. Ruined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I remember that boss. He got stuck in scenery when I got to him, so a clip or two of sniper bullets finished him off very quickly. Big letdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sephiroth definitely owned. Loved the introduction of Baal in DII LOD, where he blows that guys head up etc. Was pretty tough battling him first couple of times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I found Mr Ganon at t'end of Ocarina really, really pants. Drawn out and easy, like. Especially when he went all big pig thing.

The Flea Queen at the end of Plok? Yipes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The boss from Area 3 in Rez was fantastic, as was the one from area 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 retrogamer

My absolute favourite is one of the bosses in Metroid 3. You knock him into some lava and all his skin melts off. You think he is dead and suddenly his skeleton burst throug the wall. Scared me ****less.

Honourable mentions:

The first time you meet non-injured space pirates in metroid prime.

Seven force in Gunstar Heroes. A total bitch to beat on expert mode.

Sephiroth from FF7. nuff said.

First boss of r-type.

Kraids in Metroid 3 for being probably the biggest boss ever.

Metroid Prime has some fantastic bosses so far, far better than boss on any PC fps. The rock monster was brilliant and the comedy moment at the end had me pissing my pants with laughter. I won't spoil it.

Can't wait to fight Meta Ripley :-)

Back to metroid now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**** ive been using thye wrong ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

doom's cyberdemon - scary baxtard
    pretty much every boss in the metroid series
    ripley in metroid fusion was class
    ... i want to play prime so much:(
    jedi knight 2 - the first time you meet one of the reborn:)
    the drugged up lunatic in max payne

my 2 most dissapointing end of game bosses would be from quake and soldier of fortune 2.
    wtf??? a melted snowman:confused: and yippee,
    another helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by retrogamer
    My absolute favourite is one of the bosses in Metroid 3. You knock him into some lava and all his skin melts off. You think he is dead and suddenly his skeleton burst throug the wall. Scared me ****less.

Kraids in Metroid 3 for being probably the biggest boss ever.

Thank you so much for bringing that back :)

What a sweet game, possibly the best bosses ever aswell.

But was it Metroid 3?

• Advertisement

metroid 3 = super metroid

that was a class boss alright, i remember my nerves being completely fried after the first time i beat him, hands shaking & all:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

that big red spider typed yoke in Blood 2:The Chosen, after u kill Gideon. Damn lucky i had the cheats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

The last Metroid in Metroid 2 was great, you had to roll down his neck into his stomach to get him.
    Also all the bosses so far in Metroid Prime have been great.
    I just killed the large blue thingy in the ice temple and it was fan bloody tastic although I'd say the big flower thing was probably the best one so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i can't believe that no mentioned the emerald weapon in FF VII, i know he may not have been the most visually impressive but when you bump into him accidentally for the first time and he just laughs and kills you, you think jesus i can never beat this guy and then especially when he launchs aire tam storm its just shocking.

sephiroth rocked all right and i remember demon's gate being a right bastard first time through FFVII, second time round though levels where higher etc. he was fine.

seredipentiously (edit spelling) while we are on the subject of bosses i was about to start a new thread just to rant, jesus christ playing FFX and been wondering round the omega dungeon for bloody ages finally get to omega weapon (guidebook says no biggie) thinking grand this is sorted i steal **** loads as well when good damn it i got killed what a waste of the afternoon as there's no save point near the boss.

end rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Secret of mana - Final Thonatos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Duke Nukem 3D - Overlord or Cycloid Emperor (?)

The cutscene afterwards where after you kill him, the Duke rips off his head and ****s down his neck is classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Dark Dwarf Demigod near the end of Rune was pretty cool, as was the first battle against Conrack (I won't say more, because one of you might end up playing far enough for it to get good!)

The dirty great Uber-mutant at the end of Fallout 2 was pretty good, but with one exception- He was a CIA agent called Frank. I mean, what the hell? You spend aeons battling evil people, monsters, and creations with cool names like Bishop, Slate, The Enclave and stuff, to face off against the ultimate evil that is Frank!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

He had a cool second name though didn't he? Can't remember what it was but it was definitly the name of some guy out of some film.

Mmmmm, I guess I'm being a tad vague there maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

/Me puts on Darth vader type voice but deeper.

"I'm Frank Horrigan!"

Doesn't sound all that ultimately evil to me...

Belhifet, the demon at the end of Icewind Dale, Looked the business.Pity my party was rubbish. (until I exported my best fighter and remade the party to consist of 6 of him for the final battle...I know, I am a munchkin who has no shame and has fallen)

An impressive boss that you never actually got to meet was Fr. Karras in Thief 2. Interesting mix of insane genious and Droopy the Dog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i can't believe that no mentioned the emerald weapon in FF VII, i know he may not have been the most visually impressive but when you bump into him accidentally for the first time and he just laughs and kills you, you think jesus i can never beat this guy and then especially when he launchs aire tam storm its just shocking.

I especially loved when i hadnt saved for a while and a giant robot comes out of nowhere and kills me. I hate that boss, i really do...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ruu
    that big red spider typed yoke in Blood 2:The Chosen, after u kill Gideon. Damn lucky i had the cheats :)
    is blood 2 any good, afaik it's gone abandonware, half thinking of d/l it. (100mb+ over 56k doesn't sound too appetising tho :rolleyes:)
    i vaugely remeber cerebrus, one of the bosses from the first game, being pretty kewl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

A few stick out in my memory:

The Boss at the end of Banjo Kazooie; the witch up on the top of the tower. Lord, that was all pure blood, sweat and tears.

Mysterio from Spiderman on the Playstation 1 - the one where he is on about 4 floors.

The last boss from Red Faction 2 - you can't see him for all the carnage going on.

Not strictly the last boss, but the whole last level on Thief 2: The metal age - the 'Sabotage at Soulforge' level.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

The final Boss('s) from skies of arcadia was pretty cool; the menace that had built up around his character throughout the game was cool (You're given a chance to fight him early on in the game and he kicks your ass without breaking a sweat.

Resident evil 2 end boss was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Metroid Prime boss
    The Omega Pirate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

tman, its worth the download i reckon :)..

<edit> i'll send u the cd i have, dont use it anymore, if u want it</edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DJ MJG

Donkey Kong 64 was probably the most ingenious boss ever. You had to know each Kongs skills and how to use em properly. And the whole thing was hilarious too.

Originally posted by Tizlox
    Secret of mana - Final Thonatos

Not a boss i particularly liked... A memorable one none the less!

My fav outta that game hads to be when u fight yourselves. Easy i know but i always found it one of the more fun bosses to fight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I feel sorry for all you PC people. Get yourselves a console or console emulator and experience a real Konami or Capcom style boss!

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I feel sorry for all you PC people. Get yourselves a console or console emulator and experience a real Konami or Capcom style boss!

I think i know a reasonable amount of Capcom and Konami games. Care to share a particular few favourites? I cant think of any game except "Batman returns" for the snes or the whole Street fighter saga right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ah yes capcom who release games like street fighter 2 ex 6.90214545 now with added feet detail etc. etc. :)

Advertisement