Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Disco Petition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

about ****ing time too!!!! i actually considered stop paying my tv licence just so i wouldn't have to look at that ****wit O'Toole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

name added

its the only good programme on irish tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gary D

I have to say the show is one of RTE's better programmes. Each show always seem very well researched and put together, in particular the show on planxty a couple of weeks ago i thought was very interesting.
    The animated one last night was pretty cool too it has to be said. I for one will be kinda sad to see No Disco taken off the telly if for no other reason than that it plays good irish music (most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's the most pretentious piece of putrid televisual viewing I've ever had the misfortune to watch. Embodies everything that I hate about the Irish music scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

but it serves this irish scene that you hate so well pie. i find it difficult viewing at times as well but the show has to stay. they should be bringin in a couple of more shows of the like and not dumping them. tv3 had a similar buzz of a show a few years back and they dumped it as well. they had some bollox chat on it but the music was good. it's sad none of these shows are surviving.

i've found some of my favourite bands through this show...i'd feckin hate to see it go

Originally posted by knobbles
    tv3 had a similar buzz of a show a few years back and they dumped it as well. .

Ah, Darragh Purcell... the man, the myth, another absolute twat but at least you sit and laugh at his erratic head movements and jerky speech.

"Leagues" is just fscking impossible to find interesting. Same goes for most of the music he plays, which I'm sure he plays (and says is amazing) just because it's so obscure.

And y'know why it's obscure Leaguesy? Cos its ****.

Btw, I never said I hated the Irish music scene, I just hate certain parts (read: people) in it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AlisonC

Sadly, RTE has decided to axe No Disco, the only program on Irish television given over to showing alternative music. The local scene in Ireland will suffer hugely from this as there is no other outlet for independent artists to have their videos shown.

If you think RTE should reconsider it's decision to cancel the program I would urge you to sign the online petition at the URL below.

http://www.petitiononline.com/thumped/petition.html

good luck
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AlisonC

sorry didn't see above posting...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

No don't take away my disco....

acually... don't take away my No Disco..

it doesn't have the same ring to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Wow! The axing of No Disco means that other than the rehash of old Witnness footage by Dave Fanning, both RTE and TV3 will have virtually no regular music programming.

Anybody well and truely cheesed of with MTV on NTL? The once great channel plays virtually no music videos and is stuffed full of long form programming (Jackass, The Osbournes etc) that you can get else where.

Time for Phantom TV I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

yay! phantom TV!!
    playing all you indie fav's and some that you hate..
    but it's the best we've got

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Get skie digital(spelt wrong for fear of advertising)

Mtv2 is the bollix, they do rotate a lot but guaranteed you can see some gems on there. kerrang tv is pretty good also, can be a lot heavier dependin how many black t shirts you got. And p-rock for some underground punk stuff. There are 3 new music channels too comin apparently soon, rock on Tommy.
    Still think the No Disco thing is a travesty for those who are analogicallly challenged, next theyll be takin the footie off the tv..

'They have' .......ba$tards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i was on no disco years ago.
    im sure we all have been on it at some stage tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

No Disco has become irrelevant to its supposed audience - the comments above are proof of this. How about a petition to get a decent Irish music program that encompasses everything thats going on and not just instrumental Mogwai sound-a-likes and/or anybody with a hint of an alt-country vibe?
    Please feel free to sign below....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Originally posted by spoiltbrat
    No Disco has become irrelevant to its supposed audience - the comments above are proof of this.

That's not exactly correst now is it, there's a couple of negative comments about the show(mostly unnecessary ones about Leagues' presenting and not about the content of the show).
    In the space of a day over 1000 people signed the petition, i think that's a fair indication that no disco has hardly become irrelevant. The irish music scene is very lucky to have no disco and leagues, they've done more for irish music than most people will ever know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by acquiescefc
    Get skie digital(spelt wrong for fear of advertising)

Mtv2 is the bollix, they do rotate a lot but guaranteed you can see some gems on there. kerrang tv is pretty good also, can be a lot heavier dependin how many black t shirts you got. And p-rock for some underground punk stuff. There are 3 new music channels too comin apparently soon, rock on Tommy.

sorry for going off topic, i've never been arsed phoning up and inquiring but how much does sky digital cost?
    - the initial instalment and the regular payments.
    - is the cost based on the number of channels you select or is it just a fixed number of channels
    - do you still have all the usual cabelink channels

MTV has gone completely to the dogs as regards music.
    Alternative Nation was a great 2 hour show but that's been long gone now

Originally posted by Glowingmind
    In the space of a day over 1000 people signed the petition, i think that's a fair indication that no disco has hardly become irrelevant. The irish music scene is very lucky to have no disco and leagues, they've done more for irish music than most people will ever know.

I'd imagine over a thousand people also read an issue of Hot Press each day - don't tell me Hot Press is relevant. I think No Disco has proven great for bands like Settler and Connect 4 Orchestra who have a more avant-garde approach to making music but it has neglected the rest.

No Disco Checklist of Favourite Bands:-

Settler
    Connect 4 Orchestra
    The Jimmy Cake
    Warlords of Pez
    The Chalets

Does this represent the Irish music scene to anybody on this notice board?

Originally posted by Glowingmind
    The irish music scene is very lucky to have no disco and leagues, they've done more for irish music than most people will ever know.

Gimme a break. "Lucky" to have it? I've never heard a band say "wow, if it hadnt been for No Disco we'd still be cleaning tables in McDonalds!"

I've no problem with having an Irish music show, but I do have a problem when the presenter obviously uses his position to force his tastes down other peoples throats.

• Advertisement

No Disco Checklist of Favourite Bands:-

Settler
    Connect 4 Orchestra
    The Jimmy Cake
    Warlords of Pez
    The Chalets

Does this represent the Irish music scene to anybody on this notice board?

it represents some of the irish music scene

and surely some of it being represented is better than none of it being represented

if no disco gets axed, which is what this topic is about, there will be no irish music covered on irish tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

I've just rang the RTE information office to voice my annoyance at the culling of No Disco and the woman in the office said they wouldn't know until September whether or not there would be another series.

I have a feeling she was just fobbing me off, but I know if I worked on the programme I'd like to know whether I had a job in a few months time or not.

I also know from a girl who used to work in RTE that they take every phonecall seriously, so if you feel inclined, the number is 2083434.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

I agree that Leagues can be a bit too overly deadpan and that sometimes the music can be a bit too obscure and does not always represent the wider spectrum of Irish music that it should. But they do have some fantastic shows such as the recent Planxty special, (about time they got a bit of recognition on RTE) and the recent "legends" show.....where else would you get to see Kraftwerk, Chaka Khan and Patsy Cline vids, never mind on the one show.
    Here's a suggestion, RTE keep No Disco on the air and maybe Leagues could set up a proper website, (one seems to be lacking), and take suggestions from the viewers/begrudgers as to what they want to see/hear on the show.
    Another reason and the most important one to keep No Disco on the air is to keep alive the memory of Uaneen Fitzsimmons. She started it and its the least that could be done to keep her memory alive.
    If keeping No Disco on the air means I don't have to sit stoned through another crap American, cop/hospital drama or sitcom, than GREAT!!!

Got to correct you there, Donal Dineen was the first No Disco presenter (now if ever there was someone uncomfortable in front of a camera...) then it was Uaneen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

Hee hee.....begging yer forgiveness, my anger is clouding my brain. But you catch my drift, she made the show her own. No disrespect to Donal, I think he's great on Today FM.

Originally posted by polarbelly
    it represents some of the irish music scene

and surely some of it being represented is better than none of it being represented

if no disco gets axed, which is what this topic is about, there will be no irish music covered on irish tv

emm... no not really. If its a show that revolves purely around the presenters mate's bands then there is something seriously wrong. Thats like saying - 'Keep it going and hopefully the right bands will lick up to Leagues in a non-obvious slacker-cool way and get played'.

I was a big fan of No Disco back in the days of Donal Dineen, when it really was groundbreaking and you were hearing about bands like dEUS, The Frames and Djs such as Shadow and Krush. It was the only way Kerbdog (now Wilt) could get a video on telly and it was an exciting time to be getting into many different types of music.

Fair play to Leagues, he did push the boundries with his djing in the Mean Fiddler and Screamadelica and I agree that No Disco is a well researched show and sometimes still has great features but its not relevant to the Irish music scene in terms of up-and-coming bands. Why hasn't Berkeley's video been shown? Why do you not see any Irish rock on the show unless its the Frames or the 'cool' McCluskey. I don't care what anybody says, its plainly obvious No Disco only caters to a niche of the suposedly avant-garde indie Irish acts and thats total bull****.

Maybe Leagues won't play Berkley because he doesn't like them! It's called personal taste. To be honest, I didn't watch it that much when Uaneen was on because I didn't like her taste in music, but I still think it's a vital programme and lots of people have gained from the exposure.

It's pretty much the same arguement about Phantom. Not everyone likes everything the station plays, but we're the only ones playing it.

emm... no not really. If its a show that revolves purely around the presenters mate's bands then there is something seriously wrong. Thats like saying - 'Keep it going and hopefully the right bands will lick up to Leagues in a non-obvious slacker-cool way and get played'.

I was a big fan of No Disco back in the days of Donal Dineen, when it really was groundbreaking and you were hearing about bands like dEUS, The Frames and Djs such as Shadow and Krush. It was the only way Kerbdog (now Wilt) could get a video on telly and it was an exciting time to be getting into many different types of music.

Fair play to Leagues, he did push the boundries with his djing in the Mean Fiddler and Screamadelica and I agree that No Disco is a well researched show and sometimes still has great features but its not relevant to the Irish music scene in terms of up-and-coming bands. Why hasn't Berkeley's video been shown? Why do you not see any Irish rock on the show unless its the Frames or the 'cool' McCluskey. I don't care what anybody says, its plainly obvious No Disco only caters to a niche of the suposedly avant-garde indie Irish acts and thats total bull****.

i guess i'll just say my point again

its better to have some outlet then none

Originally posted by polarbelly
    i guess i'll just say my point again

its better to have some outlet then none

Thats like saying 'Its better to have Cornflakes with 2-week old milk than nothing to eat' - only in a famine.

There is so much good music out there in Ireland at the moment - as you must be aware of from gigging around the place - that you could easily have a great show comprised of mostly Irish content.

I'm not saying I don't want an Irish music show.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with No Disco that can't be fixed.
    I want a show thats inclusive of every facet of upcoming music and not just the extremities.
    Its such a closed shop that you know before you watch what Irish bands will be covered.
    Its wrong that one person controls the tv coverage of the entire Irish alternative scene.

If No Disco's passing cleared the way for something better and more inclusive than I can't see a problem - RTE is hardly likely to axe music programming altogether, especially after recently investing in the show Glen Hansard presents.

• Advertisement

Thats like saying 'Its better to have Cornflakes with 2-week old milk than nothing to eat' - only in a famine.

is it?
    I want a show thats inclusive of every facet of upcoming music and not just the extremities.

well no disco never claimed to be this firstly

and secondly if it were to include every facet of upcoming music it'd just be a shíte show... there has gotta be some quality control

anyhow this post is about keeping no disco on the telly
    there are alot of ways no disco could be better agreed but...

i still think its a case of :

have no disco on the telly showing good music and good irish music (not everyone's fave of course)

or have no music programmes whatsoever on the telly...

of course i'd love it if there was a programme that showed other bands cos then our band would have some shot of getting a bit of airtime... but at the end of the day...thats not what this thread is about

Advertisement