Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Disco Petition

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by polarbelly
    is it?

if it were to include every facet of upcoming music it'd just be a shíte show... there has gotta be some quality control

aiiii, remember dave fanning on 2TV?
    form scheer and kerbdog to boyzone and bwitched.....very painful for fanning to introduce some of the latter ****e, very painful to watch the quality fluctuate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

i have only watched no disco about 3 times. It was good but i felt that the words were being forced out of his mouth. but that is not really my point . How long is the program half an hour or an hour? theycould make it longer to incorperate the bands that spolitbrat and others want to see aswell as the more main stream irish music. its not as if rte have anything better to air late at night. And if people couldnt be arsed staying up late they could make it a twice a week type thing. First part of the week have half main stream(frames wilt etc) and the second half other bands that people dont really know about like daemien frost. The second show would be of the same format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

is it?

of course i'd love it if there was a programme that showed other bands cos then our band would have some shot of getting a bit of airtime... but at the end of the day...thats not what this thread is about

Thats what this thread is about to me. Why is it unreasonable to assume that Polar should be on No Disco? Thats whats wrong here - the assumption that Leagues knows best. The show only serves a niche of Irish music which is all pretty sound-a-like to me. There is an opportunity there for someone to do something really good for Irish music and its not been used. Maybe keep No Disco but introduce an ounce of democracy into its running? At the end of the day RTE are pulling the show because its obviously not worth the money to them that they are putting in to it. The reason for this is that there are not enough people watching it. This is because it only has a very narrow appeal within a already narrow market (alternative music). If they had bothered to widen that appeal the show wouldn't be in trouble.

Alternative Nation/120 minutes/MTV 2 for everyone campaign... any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

Spoiltbrat, just a couple of things I would like to pick you up on;

You argue about bands having to lick Leagues' hole and then basically contradict yourself by mentioning the new Glen Hansard programme. That's exactly what his programme is, it's the clique of musicians that are being forced down our throats by Hot Press who lick each others hole. Now I'm not slagging the musicians or their music, some of it is good but the programme should have just been called, "Glen Hansard's Mates".
    Also, the Frames, while being an OK band, don't fool yourself by claiming that they were ever "groundbreaking". They're alright but "groundbreaking" bands or musicians change music as we know it at that specific time such as, Miles Davis, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Planxty, Kraftwerk, the Smiths, DJ Shadow etc. The Frames or dEUS for that matter can never be put in the same league as these, pardon the pun.
    Now I do agree with you that No Disco can play some ****e, samey kinda music and could widen its appeal a slight bit so, as I mentioned in an earlier msg, if No Disco stays on the air, I hope it does, it's simply a matter of setting up a proper website were people can request the bands they would like to hear and Leagues can assess it from there. That's the most democratic way I can think of doing it.

Stez!
    I totally agree with you. The point about Glen Hansard (from whose ass the sun shines on to the Irish music scene) was that RTE are still willing to put money into music programs. I'm not looking for a show where every Irish band gets a five minute slot because it would be absolute ****e and unworkable. I just ask, like you with your website suggestion, that those with the power to do something for the Irish scene put their ear to the ground occasionally and see whats actually going on around Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

Definitely agree. I don't think they would put anymore money into the music programming unless it's done by Mr. Hansard and the like, I'd say that Hot Press put pressure on RTE for it aswell. In fact I'm really pissed off that my T.V. licence fee was spent partly on that fool and his "mates".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 the sublimed

Originally posted by spoiltbrat
    I don't care what anybody says, its plainly obvious No Disco only caters to a niche of the suposedly avant-garde indie Irish acts and thats total bull****.

you're right. but they're not all matey with leagues. however they are all part of a supposedly avant-garde scene that shares an independent ethic (although settler and the chalets wouldn't be my idea of avant-garde). if they were to show bits and pieces from all the different scenes in the country the show wouldn't attract any regular audience because no one would identify with it. people that watch no disco currently don't identify with bands that want to be the next U2 or JJ72 or Wilt, and the music that leagues shows reflects that.

regardless the petition now stands at nearly 3000 sigs. so the show is obviously reaching a certain indie demographic. its your tough titties if you don't identify with that. maybe you should start up your own petition to get RTE to create a program that identifies with the up-and-coming 'unsigned' type stuff that you prefer to the "avant-garde niche".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

i like no disco.

i heard some great music on it over the years, and i'm not going to give it up with out making an effort.

an american friend visiting couldn't believe how varied and alternative it was, simply put it had rock, electronic, hip hop, singer songwriter and alt country to name but a few.

on every show if i liked half of it then i was a success. i bought albums from watching bands on it.

its one of the best music shows on any stations i get, and for that reason i think it should stay.

methinks.

Originally posted by PiE
    Gimme a break. "Lucky" to have it? I've never heard a band say "wow, if it hadnt been for No Disco we'd still be cleaning tables in McDonalds!"

eh?
    so what you're saying is that no disco hasn't contributed to irish music because none of the bands have "made it". you're missing the point of the show boyo. no disco is about the music as in the sounds, not the industry bullsh!t. if you don't like the sort of music played on it that's grand but you gotta realise that to these bands there's more to making music than signing the big deal or being on the cover of nme.

most (not all) of the bands featured on the program share an independent ethos and aren't bending over backwards to get signed for various reasons, they have good jobs, they have a family, they hate the music industry (see Albini's
    the problem with music).

Originally posted by the sublimed
    eh?
    most (not all) of the bands featured on the program share an independent ethos and aren't bending over backwards to get signed for various reasons, they have good jobs, they have a family, they hate the music industry (see Albini's
    the problem with music).

You're right that it should be all about the music and not the industry and in a global sense No Disco is very diplomatic about music. However Leagues is regarded as a 'taste maker' by industry people in Ireland. He is as big a part of the industry as anybody else - he's not just a presenter he has a finger in a lot of other pies - DJing, promoting and print media as far as I know. As such he has a lot of power as regards Irish music in particular. I just think he could use his power in a more democratic way.

I'll sign the petition - if the show survives they should've had enough of a fright to get their **** together and open up the shop a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

glowingmind, if you look at the quote I was responding to in that post:

"The irish music scene is very lucky to have no disco and leagues, they've done more for irish music than most people will ever know. "

You'll see I was taking exception to the notion that we should be thankful for having Leagues running the show and the way that the poster liked to think he/she was clued in to a bigger picture which normal people can't see.

No Disco is a Music TV show. Music shows are there for one reason: for the bands to gain exposure. Exposure = sales = success. You can talk all you like about the bands not wanting to be rich or famous and all that but to be honest, I don't believe a word of it. And when someone like Leagues has the power to say what does and what does not get that exposure, there's obviously something awry with the format.

It's a bit like Eircom. They are owned by the same man who owns the Irish Independent and some other Irish papers. Therefore, these newspapers aren't able to expose Eircom for the money-grabbing bastards that they are. So as you can see, one person who has his hand in many public services is a bad thing.

Same applies to Leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

What i meant by saying that we're lucky to have leagues is mostly based around the fact of how involved he in in irish music and how much passion he obviously has for what he does.
    The idea that only certain bands within a clique are going to get shown on no disco is a slightly narrow view to take, for the most part the bands that get shown on no disco are bands leagues is a fan of and feels the urge to try and support however he can(there's not many people who could honestly say they'd go on tv and heap praise on a band they hate). Obviously in an ideal world he'd have a 3 hour show and play as many irish bands as they can fit on but there's no way that'll happen. If you were hosting the show and were in a similar position to leagues we'd probably get many of the bands that you like, which is fine, but there's a good chance that a lot of people won't like all the bands you'd show, and that's just a simple fact of life. I'm sure some people would say initially,"well i'd show as much irish music as i could", but when it comes down to it theres no way personal taste won't effect what appears on the show.
    Ideally we'd still have no disco, and a a few more music shows on irish tv to cater for more people.

You're right that it should be all about the music and not the industry and in a global sense No Disco is very diplomatic about music. However Leagues is regarded as a 'taste maker' by industry people in Ireland. He is as big a part of the industry as anybody else - he's not just a presenter he has a finger in a lot of other pies - DJing, promoting and print media as far as I know. As such he has a lot of power as regards Irish music in particular. I just think he could use his power in a more democratic way.

a good point, but from alot of stories i've heard he was reluctant to take the no disco thing on so i don't think he has any vendetta as such but i suppose he could be more even handed. i think he just likes playing what he knows about, maybe.

Originally posted by PiE
    It's a bit like Eircom. They are owned by the same man who owns the Irish Independent and some other Irish papers. Therefore, these newspapers aren't able to expose Eircom for the money-grabbing bastards that they are. So as you can see, one person who has his hand in many public services is a bad thing.

Same applies to Leagues.
    he's not just a presenter he has a finger in a lot of other pies - DJing, promoting and print media as far as I know. As such he has a lot of power as regards Irish music in particular. I just think he could use his power in a more democratic way

this is hilarious. what has he to gain? he runs his own indie label, used to write for nme and now has a hand in homage and dj's with his mates at some of the larger local gigs. oh, oh yeah, now it's all so clear - what an evil fiend he is. he's power-mad!!! the new murdoch.
    tell me - did your band try to get a vid shown on no disco and were turned down or something?
    or wait, there's a conspiracy out there to keep the 'real' irish scene off the airwaves.
    hahahhhahhhahhahahhhaha

Originally posted by PiE
    No Disco is a Music TV show. Music shows are there for one reason: for the bands to gain exposure. Exposure = sales = success. You can talk all you like about the bands not wanting to be rich or famous and all that but to be honest, I don't believe a word of it.

exposure=sales yes yes. bums in seats at gigs, selling records all good.
    but success? - listen - there are acts out there who don't want to be rich and famous. some would like to do music full time but just wouldn't want that whole rock'n'roll lifestyle. some don't want to do it full time at all 'cos that would take the enjoyment out of it.

c'mon, is there some rule somewhere that says the instant someone creates some good music and wants to sell it and play gigs that they automatically want to be the next big thing?

i know loads of local acts that just want to write, record and play gigs and sell their records to make the cash back. they have full-time jobs or other responsibilities which make it impossible to consider doing music full time. this doesn't diminish the quality of their music.

Originally posted by PiE
    And when someone like Leagues has the power to say what does and what does not get that exposure, there's obviously something awry with the format.

there's nothing strange in that, that's what being a DJ is all about no? somebody would have to have the final decision on what to show and if there isn't a concerted effort to keep the material similar then you won't attract a core audience.
    maybe the next no disco presenter would play more stuff you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

Originally posted by the sublimed
    exposure=sales yes yes. bums in seats at gigs, selling records all good.
    but success?

some ppl would call that success

some ppl would call that success

you're right.
    i'm not trying to be a bollox, i think there's room for all approaches but realistically you'll never find them all on the one program and at the moment no disco leans towards a certain approach and style. admittedly there's room for another program that leans towards another approach and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

hey sublimed, i agree with most of your points... just i felt the need to say that success is gauged differently for different ppl

you might be after a multi million quid record deal and i might be after having a laugh playing a few songs with my mates watching...you know the way

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

no disco started off as a good idea,and peaked under the late uaneen.since then it has gone to the dogs,both musically and with that asshole presenter "leagues" I wish he would go under the sea.His interviews are a lesson in cliches.

Many Irish and non irish bands were ignored under these leagues geezer because they werent cool,even though a lot were a damn site better than some of the thrash he played.trying to squezze dance and ambient music into the format was a disaster and was what finnished it off.

The last few times i watched it.I was bored to tears and switched it off.It had got so bad,fannings half baked last broadcast was actually better.
    What is needed is a new programne on at a better time,without the clicks of bands,and whittling it down to alternative only.A vibrant presenter who asks questions that matter not tip toe around cliches.

I for one shad no tears

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Wilbert

Uaneen was a better presenter than Leagues, I agree, but you should remember the kind of programme it was then, versus what it is now.
    Back then it was mostly about very successful bands like the Manic Street Preachers and Stereophonics (for God's sake!). Bands that did not need the exposure. Their was very little Irish music content with regards unsigned bands.
    Just before it was axed, No Disco was an outlet where you could get your bands video shown (if it was of a decent quality, although I know this bit is debatable).
    So, I think that whether you agreed with Leagues music choices or not, he definitely changed No Disco into something new and better (with regards Irish music).
    Look at the recent video for Herv's last single. It featured a Woodlouse crawling across the floor. I think that it is a really good video from a very interesting musician. I do not think Uaneen would have shown it.

what absolute twaddle.
    obviuosly you rarely watched no disco when uaneen presented it.not alone was she a much better interviewer,but she was also interested in the bands and played a lot of irish bands.
    this leagues geezer is just interested in been cool.another thing he fails miserably at...............

It seems if you werent in the frames mafia gang ( pudding rice,bell x 1 etc ) your chances of been on under 2000 leagues under the sea were greatly diminshed.

A replacement program would be great,mixed in with more programs like songs from another room.

the fact remains though,that no disco had become stale under leagues and probably more importantly,the background people who had been running the show for 8 years.People get stuck in a rut and lose their imagination and love for things sometimes.esp in music.thats why most bands rarely last 8 years.its time for a change..................:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭Holyghost

From my experience of dealing with No Disco I've always found them encouraging reasonable and decent to deal with. As far as I saw they used to show anything independent and Irish. Has anyone here submitted a Video to be shown and had it rejected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Wilbert

Twaddle?

Didn't I say that Uaneen was a better presenter than Leagues?
    Also, weren't BellX1 one of her favourite bands?

All I was saying was that I think that Leagues did more for Irish bands than Uaneen, who I felt had more of an ear for the mainstream which was already being adequately covered elsewhere.

Whatever about not liking Leagues I think it is obvious that his version of No Disco is more diverse. You may not like what he plays but you probably won't see it elsewhere.

Whatever you think about Leagues just wanting to look cool, you don't actually KNOW that. His motives are pretty good as far as anyone I know who has dealt with him can tell. He is a decent bloke and perhaps you should reserve comments about a persons character for people that you actually know personally. What do you think?

i have no idea who her favourite bands were,the fact remains she played much better music ( including irish bands)

far better to play good music than been "diverse" for the sake of it.if its good thats all that matters and frankly the show has ben declining,and its probably the reason it got the axe!

as for him personally,a friend of mine was talking to him one night
    ,seen him the next day in the street when he was with a girl and he blanked him.sure sign of a tosser to me.........

Advertisement