Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re:VB Problem

Options
  • 20-03-2003 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Re: My original post which was closed because (I assume) I was asking for help with my "homework"

As jessy said I just used a simple sql statement;

SELECT Company.* FROM Company WHERE Company.deleted = False

Saves having to check if the next record is marked for deletion as all records in the recordsource will be ones which are not marked for deletion.

In case anyone cares.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you're going to be working with Databases then SQL is important. They're all lots of free tutorials on the web: Google on 'SQL Tutorial', you should get a million and one.

w3schools have an introductory one. I've haven't done it myself but as introductions go their standards seem to be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    If you're going to be working with Databases then SQL is important. They're all lots of free tutorials on the web: Google on 'SQL Tutorial', you should get a million and one.

w3schools have an introductory one. I've haven't done it myself but as introductions go their standards seem to be pretty good.

I've done SQL in college its fairly straight forward, I just wanted to avoid using it but I didnt have much choice it would seem, it was the best way around the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Ivan
    I've done SQL in college its fairly straight forward, I just wanted to avoid using it but I didnt have much choice it would seem, it was the best way around the problem.

You could easily avoid writing any SQL for that problem, given that its VB youre using. Of course, I would maintain that SQL is the right way to do it, but id you were trying to test yourself and see if you could avoid using it.....its pretty simple.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Ivan, do you go to ITT by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by sjones
    Ivan, do you go to ITT by any chance?

If by ITT you mean Carlow IT then yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

ivan i seen your thread bout chess and id advise you against doing it if at all possible as two of my friends are doing this proj in it carlow for their proj and they after runniing into some pretty major probs.. back to the vb prob so
    i in third year now and last year in it carlow we went through sql pretty comprehencably and i wrote most of my second year proj using recordsets and sql queries(a pub stock control sys) they very simple and are a very powerfull way of accessing databases to find the required data.. i would reccommed anybody that wants vb program get well used to using sql...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

SQL is very important and from a commercial point of view so are stored procedures/views/triggers for the likes of SQL Server and Oracle. You should have a look at these as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Martial_Law

ah tommy,

thats an understatement lol

We had a few problems in the beginning but they are pretty much sorted now...chess is very hard to do believe me...

Hey how's the logic gate simulator coming along?

Martial Law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

don't even mention it martial
    the bloody thing wrecking my head at the mo.. i working with a lad and he only after doing two lines of code since xmas and i very pissed off over it cos i now need his part to continue prog.
    i only left with the simulation algorithm left now and after that i should be finished..

Advertisement