Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second hand laptop advice

• 20-03-2003 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

hi,

i'm a student looking for a second hand laptop and have tried the for sale board and buy and sell, but have just ended up getting confused. essentially i need it for typing and using the internet and a floppy drive is also necessary (CD rom drive desirable). but i dont have the first clue about what makes a good laptop? are there any particular brands that anyone could recommend? there seems to be an awful lot of sony vaio for sale second hand....

i mean there are about 100 (no exageration) on buy and sell, some incredibly cheap and some very dear. sorry to post this, i know its a bit vague, but i am only familiar with PCs and have never even used a laptop before - hence the confusion. i have looked around a bit on the net (including sites like dell's laptop buying guide - not very helpful) but couldn't find anything so id be grateful for any advice. iv got about €600 to spend

tia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Well before you hand over any money have a good look over the laptop for any signs of wear or damage. Make sure everything closes fully and that the screen isn't knackered. Due to their nature of being a very sensitive piece of kit that sees a lot of travel you're looking at a high probability of getting damaged goods. I reckon your best bet is befriend someone who knows a thing or two about laptops and bring them along to give whatever you're thinking of buying a look over. Also you'll probably have to buy a new battery as the life time on most are around 1-2 years.
    Barry

Advertisement