Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save No Disco

Options
  • 20-03-2003 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

In a dumber than ever move by RTE, they plan to axe the one and only output for Irish music videos in this country. 'No Disco'. This is heavily s h i t, and screws over many new bands from getting any exposure. We need ONE Irish music programme which has no ties to the revolting Louis Walsh and his cancerous minions. Please help save the programme which is broadcast every wed. night on Net2, by signing this petition. Thanks.

http://www.petitiononline.com/thumped/petition.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Everyone *has* to sign this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I won't. No Disco has been plummeting for years now. Leagues O'Toole is pure aural mogadon and his choice of vids is invariably self indulgent, Dublin-centric, backslapping drivel or some obscure-for-the-sake-of-obscurity hip hop "maverick" who sees himself as the sonic equivalent of Ghengis Khan and Anthony Micheal Hall meeting in a proton accelerator, with Marlon Brando on beats.

Then there's the Frames telethons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Ok so you don't like it but I ask you this: where else can Irish talent that could be considered a little more left of field, inventive, whatever show their wares? No Disco has been central in providing the environment to make much of this possible. And, like, don't you think it's nice to listen to music? If you oppose the petition out of taste, fine but don't insist it's not an important part of Irish culture.

Also, I wouldn't consider the show to be Dublincentric - I know plenty of people involved in music here who aren't from Dublin, it's just that 1.5 million people live her for job opportunities and the social life.

It's rediculous that RTE decides to scalp one of their most popular (and cheapest) shows on the air. The fact that it's so popular speaks volumes.

RTE is our national station and they're by law obliged to represent the state and provide representative homegrown television of as high a quality as possible. I'd say we constitute one of those audiences - cancelling it goes against their remit.

You might not miss it but then, maybe you have crap taste in music, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Does TG4 still have that music program, Rialta I think its called?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Christ, how many boards is this topic on?
    Originally posted by DadaKopf
    You might not miss it but then, maybe you have crap taste in music, I dunno.

God I love obscure Icelandic instrumental music that almost touches my very soul.

I think Robbo summed it up nicely tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Megadude

So Bobbo, let me get this straight. You want ALL Irish bands regardless of their genres of music to have absolutely no voice in the Music video medium of their own Country. What the f u c k do we pay TV licences for if we cannot promote Arts and Music in our own community?

We are being completely saturated from every angle by a Capitalist pig mentality. Promoting only Money spinning Pop, not REAL music. Do you want us all to poison the next generation of musicians by giving them no choice, no inspiration, just sugar coated vomit? Think on. You sound stupid. Sure all of the videos won't be to everybodies taste on 'No Disco', but at least everybody can enjoy something they saw in one episode. There are people from Art Colleges from all over the country working their nuts off trying to build a national music video market, against the frustrating odds, which is the idiot 98FM/FM104/2FM type ignorance. They need our help. The videos are getting better every year. This country needs to build on its talented Artists and stop them leaving to get more respect in UK or USA.

.......if we don't encourage our Artists and Musicians we will be listening to Robbie Williams/Steps for eternity, on repeat.
    ......B o l l o c k s !!:mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

So Bobbo, let me get this straight. You want ALL Irish bands regardless of their genres of music to have absolutely no voice in the Music video medium of their own Country.

No, that is in no way what I said. The programs been on a downward spiral for quite some time and it's about time something else took over.

Oh, and you might want to check out TG4. In spite of whole "Irish language" thing they have some good music programs with adequetly charismatic hosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Not a chance mate! For the following reasons ...

1. Leagues O'Toole is a terrible presenter .

2. Most of the videos that appear on that show are 3rd rate art-school crap that don't deserve to be connected with the high quality music that they represent visually.

3. If the videos were good then there'd be a point keeping this show, but the fact is that they are not. Most usually have nothing to do with the tunes they come with and are cleary just a case of 'slap anything together so we can say we have a video'.

4. Every tune on that show can be heard on radio so theres no need for this show in a purely musical sense.

5. Crap videos just distract from the quality of a good tune anyway. MTV-type rubbish might need the medium of video to back it up but the kind of music that appears on No Disco doesn't and only hindered by the poor production values of its videos.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Petition signed! Despite the fact the programme isnt as good as it was during the days of Uaneen Fitzsimmons (RIP), it is the only output for Irish bands.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Pigman II
    4. Every tune on that show can be heard on radio so theres no need for this show in a purely musical sense.

Ahh right and what pray tell magical radio station do you listen to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Kali
    Ahh right and what pray tell magical radio station do you listen to?
    No magic necessary! Just tune into 2fm.

For starters Jay Aherns show on Sundays plays at least 80% of the stuff that ends up on no disco .... only difference is he usually has it about 3 months earlier. Plus any new Irish act worth wasting a breath on will get a session with Fanning sooner or later, so they're covered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

surely the more coverage the better? yes it's great that the music gets played on the radio, but it's even better that it gets played on the tv too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I say keep the show, change the presenter.

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I never watched it until a friend said that one tune they played was a famous AC/DC number, namely Highway To Hell. Tempted by the possibility that there might be music of a similar quality and style (ie completely different to what's spewed out on god knows how many other channels) I decided to watch a whole show one night.

Looking back, I don't know how I watched the whole thing.

The presenter must die in as horrible a fashion as possible (or fired, whatever's easier). The videos do the music no favours. There's occasionally an interesting tune, but for the most part it was godawful repetitive drivel I could have done myself with a drum machine and a sequencer.

I know, I know, my whole impression is based on one show, but based on that one show, I'm very, very unimpressed. Axe it, but don't say it's for cost reasons, just tell the truth and say it's because it's not actually any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Actually, all the money spent on No Disco and then some is being diverted into producing more of the excellent "Other Voices: Songs From A Room". So what's the problem? Other Voices is prime time and has proved a hit showcasing IRISH talent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"Actually, all the money spent on No Disco and then some is being diverted into producing more of the excellent "Other Voices: Songs From A Room". So what's the problem? Other Voices is prime time and has proved a hit showcasing IRISH talent!"

No disco featured plenty of irish acts and much more. Other Voices is only shows one side of music in Ireland it's geared up towards a "singer-songwriter" type of approach. There isn't much diversity in the acts chosen. There is now no outlet for Irish music videos. Look at No Disco's show of videos by Del9 it shows how much of a shame it would be to see it go. There's no room for the crazy animated antics of the warlords of pez on Other Voices is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Like it or not, I think for the sake of diversity it should be kept. They air it a rediculous hour anyway. It's not bothering anybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

If only to banish the pain that was "Yo Disco", do not sign this petition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

they dont do Yo Disco anymore

Advertisement