Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl & Aldi in Cork & Kerry

Options
  • 20-03-2003 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm trying to write a dissertation on supermarkets/shopping facilities.

I was wondering if anyone knows if any Lidl or Aldi supermarkets are currently being built (or are to be built anytime soon) anywhere in Cork or Kerry?

I know there are Lidl stores in

Castleisland
    Killarney
    Mallow
    Fermoy
    Cork
    Midleton
    Youghal
    (and I've heard they've purchaed some land in Tralee)

and there is an Aldi store in Ballincollig

Is there anywhere else where they are currently building, or have purchased land?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

skibbereen, i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

any idea where in skibbereen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Mars

Thanks De Rebel

Do you know if they have purchased land only in Skibbereen, or have they started building?

Is it a Lidl store (not Aldi); how did you hear about it?

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

They must be slowly taking over Ireland:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

The store in Tralee (Castlemaine road) is almost complete.

Aldi had plans for a Tralee store but they didn't get planning.

I think there was something in a local paper about Lidl opening a store in Listowel though I am not sure.

Jer

• Advertisement

Thanks embraer170

Is that Lidl store in Tralee across the road from the bus/train station?

If anyone knows anything about a Lidl (or Aldi) store in Listowel, please let me know (please, please, please........)

I haven't heard anything about one being considered for Listowel.

Thanks again!

Thanks embraer170

Is that Lidl store in Tralee across the road from the bus/train station?

If anyone knows anything about a Lidl (or Aldi) store in Listowel, please let me know (please, please, please........)

I haven't heard anything about one being considered for Listowel.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭super_canard

What are these??

Do you mean, what are Lidl & Aldi?

If you do, they are German food retailers.
    (food supermarkets)

right.. german food.. as in sausages all over the place?? (apart from that and the delicious black forest, my german food knowledge is pretty low I admit).

• Advertisement

Well, it's not specifically German food they sell as such.

Just food really.

As in, Fruit & veg, tinned food, wines, eggs, fish/meat, etc, etc.......

Though they also do other household products such as cleaning products and kitchen/bathroom products e.g. washing powder/liquid, razor blades, shampoo etc etc.

It's just that they happen to originate in Germany.

What is the price/quality like down these shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Very cheap, i've not eaten much of there stuff but what i have has been decent

right then I can't wait for one in cork city.. :D

Their products are low priced.

The reason for this is that they do not sell brand-name products. If you purchase brand name products then you are paying not just for the product but also for expensive tv ad's to advertise the product.

So, both Lidl & Aldi do away with brand name products and therefore sell products not advertised on tv.

Though, did you know that many brand-name products and non-brand-name products are sometimes made at the same factory. So quite often there can be little difference between brands. Well, they have a different cardboard box.

Oh, btw, there is a Lidl store in Cork city and also one at Midleton; and there's an Aldi store in Ballincollig.

And if anyone hears anything about any stores planned or opening in Listowel (Kerry), let me know please.........

Where is the one in cork?
    I know cork city is tiny... but still... never saw/heard ot it.

Sorry, I don't know the address. I'm sure someone here must know the actual road it's in.

If you go to Google-Groups and type in "Lidl" & "Cork", you'll see some people have mentioned it there. I'll see if I can find the road name for you.

I managed to find the address of the Lidl store in Cork.

I've been told it's in Clashduv Road, Togher.

Do you know whereabouts of this road?

errrr.. i never heard of that road before. :)

sorry I can't give any directions as to where that road is myself. You'd think someone here would know where it is...........

We'll just have to wait and see if someone let's us know. Or, if you've got a Cork street directory.........

While I'm here, did anyone hear anything about a Lidl store being planned for Listowel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Darth Henry

LIDL - Clashduv Rd - Togher - Cork

From Wilton Roundabout take the turning for Glasheen.

Then keep going til you get to a pub urm Flannerys I think.

You have a choice of going straight on or turning right.

You turn right here.

Keep going straight until you see LIDL on your left.

everything is dirt cheap in LIDL and ALDI, regards quality, well you get what you pay for don't you. but tis alright though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LonglynX

The Lidl in Tralee, which is nearly finished now, is on the castlemaine road. It is opposite the service station as you head out the Castlemaine road up the hill. It is quite near manor, or manor village and only a short trip from the new tescos/esb/woodies etc in Manor west industrial park.

The Lidl that was planned for Listowel was to be on the John B Keane Road, behind the Rehab centre(apologies if this is not the correct name for the centre - no offence intended) but planning was refused. They are now loking at a site on the Listowel Tralee road, just beyond Kerry Co-Op. Again this depends on planning.

>>Longlynx<<

Hey! thanks for this LonglynX

How did you hear about this (maybe you're not allowed to say!)

I enquired with Listowel UDC and with Kerry CoCo, and both informed me there is currently no planning application to build a Lidl store in Listowel.

Lidl must be fairly determined to build a store in Listowel if they're looking at another site, and didn't just give up.

Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

mars - fyi - there was an ad in sun bizz post two weeks ago placed by an estate agent - looking to buy up property for aldi - there were a list of locations throughout the country.

you might want to dig out a copy....hope that helps.

& going off subject a little, just came back after 2 years living in germany - not many people realise that not all of Lidls products are 'yellow pack' Some of them are branded goods - maybe not in ireland but in germany.

thanks for this Eurorunner

Aldi have a list of the towns they're interested in purchasing a site in in Ireland; (see link below),

http://www.aldi.co.uk/corp_property/property_set.html

Yes, the Lidl stores in Ireland also sell branded goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 markymark

Did I hear about a Lidl stored planned for Bantry?

Maybe I just imagined it though, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Lidl & Aldi seem to get into towns quite easily, is that my imagination or are there reasons why? I know of places that stopped Tesco but still accepted Lidl or Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

Mars there is a Lidl in Bandon. They are building or have built a Lidl or Aldi (dont know which 1) in Dunmanway.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lidl in Ballincollig, Macroom, Bandon and Kinsale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Joe Public wrote: »
    Lidl & Aldi seem to get into towns quite easily, is that my imagination or are there reasons why? I know of places that stopped Tesco but still accepted Lidl or Aldi.

Lidl and Aldi (or discount stores as they are known) are not the same as the hyper/supermarket operators such as Tesco/Dunnes. Firstly, they are a lot smaller (perhaps only taking up 15000 sq feet max) whereas Tesco would require 40000 sq ft+. Discounters range of goods are limited to perhaps a couple of 100 products whereas supermarkets will offer 1000s of different products.

As to why planning is granted more easily to Lidls/Aldis, due to the above where they take up much less space, this generally means there are less planning obstacles/potential objectors etc. They can be located in district or neighbourhood centres quite easily as well as more central locations. Tesco generally want massive acres of out of town land to build their stores which more often than not goes against planning guidelines for towns retail strategies (ie maintain the city/town centre as the retail core) which is why their applications get turned down more often.

Also, Aldi/Lidl will also meet much less resistence from existing competitors/grocers than Tesco etc as they are viewed as less of a threat due to the more limitied ranges of goods they offer.

Many Aldis/Lidls applications btw have been turned down. Aldi has been turned down for stores in Kenmare, Cahirciveen and a second store in Tralee on a number of occasions.

Advertisement