Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic 2 Liverpool 0

• 20-03-2003 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

I think John Hartson more than made up for that penalty miss on sunday
    :D

Thought we deserved the victory tonight and could possibly even win it now, last four, who knows, anythings possible...........

Hail Hail

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Class performance beat scouse off the field. Grit, determination, hardworking and flair.
    Fantastic finish by Hartson, great to watch on the tears in the kip.

Classic move by houllier, take off a midfielder and play 3 up front and let the opposition midfield take even more control on the game.

scouse actually played some nice football but once again showed that they really are a brainless team who cannot adjust their "style" of play.

Dunphys quote was class, something along the likes of "looking forward to the game, but then again you can never look forward to a game when liverpool are playing"

A classic quote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I totally agree with yis lads. Liverpool deserved nothing out of that game. Good luck to the Celts, they've a good chance of winning the thing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus! After the post match analysis I watch the news to cheer me up it was that bad....where to start except at the top - Houllier must go! Again! The panels comparsion betwen O'Neill and Houllier was spot on. While it pains me to say it Celtic fully deserved the win as they wanted it and whats more they knew how to get it.

Liverpool could have made tonights game a formality at Parkhead. The fact they did'nt tells us all we need to know...pah!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Liverpool ans calling for Houllier to go again??
    Why am I not surprised.

For play to Celtic. Martin O Neills passion for the game is so evident in the way his team plays on the ppitch.

Well done Celtic. Played Pool off the park. Despite the nutmeg i have to say that was the only thing Owen got off Balde last night.

Even the players such as Sylla, Lennon, Douglas and Mjaillby, the players who i dont rate one bit played an exceptional game.

Especially great to see Hartson who was sensational again play at his best (reminds me of his early days at Arsenal) and score a magnificent winner. He had an unfortunate goal dissallowed on Sunday and missed what i taught was a well taken penalty.
    I cannot see Sutton getting back into that team if he keeps it up.

well done Celts. you done us proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Well done to Celtic they can now go on and win the Uefa cup and confirm Martin O Neills standing as the best young manager in the business,it would be good for the Scottish league if Celtic won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I'll have to have a route around for one of those threads about Celtic not being good enough for the English Premier league. Made liverpool look poor, and like it or not, they're a better then average Premier league side (and lets not forget the Blackburn scalping).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

The reds were poor.
    Celtic deserved the win.

I can defend better than Taore. Mr.Houillier will you please get rid of him (and along with a couple of the others)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Celtic were brilliant! They defo deserved it. What a turn a round from the first leg where Liverpool were by far the best team.

Hopefully Celtic can go on from this and get to the final .... and of course, win the league! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

absoloutley fantastic to say the least.

pity i now have the worst hangover ive ever had and am struggling to do any work what so ever.

celts deserved to go through and they done me proud.

gwan the hoops. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Excellent performance by the Celts.

Typical performance by the scousers. Crap. The longer they keep Houllier the better because its hilarious how bad they are.

Didnt watch the analysis afterwards after what they said last week. Dunphy and Giles more or less said Liverpool were through because of the amount of possession they had at Celtic Park. Apart from the goal they didnt create one other chance. POssession means nothing if you are just knocking it around midfield and the back.

Also Dunphy said going to Anfield is not the same as going to Ewood as Liverpool are a much better team than Blackburn.

Surely if they were that much better their league position would reflect this.

Looking forward now for a nice couple of days in the sun for the away semi and hopefully a trip to Seville in May.

Boavista please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Hats off to Celtic they played the Pool of the park last night. They wanted it more and made their chances count. Great strike by Hartson. The Pool had their chances as well but with everything going through the middle it's very hard to break down a defence. Something really has to be done with this team before they disintegrate.

Who reckons that Liverpool will not get rid of GH and the other rubbish on the team and that they won't bring in a significant signing this summer. I can definately see it happening with GH as dissillusioned as he is. What teh hell was he at with three strikers on the field. Brings back haunting memories of the loss to Birmingham when he had four playing. He obviously doesn't learn from his mistakes and at this level of football he isn't able for it.

Again well done to the Celts. Lets hope they win it out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by jonno
    Again well done to the Celts. Lets hope they win it out now.

hear hear :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Not ashamed / Unhappy to be beaten by Celtic they deserved to win , Liverpool were poor and have been too much this season - Anfield is no longer a place teams fear to thread.

I too hope Celtic go on and win it

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Everything I need to say has already been said...

G'wan the Hoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Fantastic! Gwan Celtic for the cup! :D

Nothing that Dunphy has ever done or said is "classic" in the true sense of the word. He reminds me of George Bush, why do RTE keep taking him back!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I am so happy Liverpool have been dumped out.

Crap negative tactics !!! boring boring gone !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Originally posted by bucks73
    Excellent performance by the Celts.

Typical performance by the scousers. Crap. The longer they keep Houllier the better because its hilarious how bad they are.

Didnt watch the analysis afterwards after what they said last week. Dunphy and Giles more or less said Liverpool were through because of the amount of possession they had at Celtic Park. Apart from the goal they didnt create one other chance. POssession means nothing if you are just knocking it around midfield and the back.

Also Dunphy said going to Anfield is not the same as going to Ewood as Liverpool are a much better team than Blackburn.

Surely if they were that much better their league position would reflect this.

Looking forward now for a nice couple of days in the sun for the away semi and hopefully a trip to Seville in May.

Boavista please.

Thank you very much. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

probably one of the poorest european games i have ever witnessed in my life.
    two medicore teams playing crap football.

however said there was flair in that match was obviously watching some sunday league game, because all that was in that game was rushing about and huffing and puffing and power. there was no skill, no flair, no panache.
    it was a typical old firm type game, and celtic are better at it than liverpool.
    and celtic didnt play pool of the pitch, i think you wuill find that liverpool dominated the midfield.
    liverpool could well do with some lessons in building walls though.
    and to let hartson score, well, thats just embarassing on a very very very base level.
    i just hope whoever celtic play next actually have some class and we can get a decent game.

having said that, im a happy man...
    i had 20 quid that celtic would beat liverpool 2 nil at anfield :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I was wondering at what point liverpool would throw caution to the wind and play Berger or even young Mellor, but no..

Not even a token sub when they went 2 down and there was 5 or 6 minutes left..

A great game to watch, and a good time was had by all in my local Irish bar! Got a free pint at the final whistle!

Eamo, we'll have none of your trolling around here! What a Spurs fan knows about football is beyond me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    I was wondering at what point liverpool would throw caution to the wind and play Berger or even young Mellor, but no..

Not even a token sub when they went 2 down and there was 5 or 6 minutes left..

A great game to watch, and a good time was had by all in my local Irish bar! Got a free pint at the final whistle!

Eamo, we'll have none of your trolling around here! What a Spurs fan knows about football is beyond me :p

Joe, actually, im not trolling. im giving a good bias free opinion of what the match was like. i didnt say it wasnt entertaining, i just said that it was very poor in terms of skill, but certainly not passion. but both teams very extremely poor, and there is no one out there that can argue with that.
    as for being a spurs fan, i know plenty about good football. great teams beat us all the time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I wouldn't call both teams poor, but by European standards, they are very average. Two very ordinary sides, and thats all that is left in the UEFA Cup nowadays, ordinary sides. Its a pity, but the Champions's League being widened has caused this. Ther standard of the UEFA Cup is simply terrible compared to what it used to be. The big-guns who get dumped out of the CL have a safety valve as well now, and guess what, thats the UEFA Cup as well. I hate to belittle it, it will be a great achievement of Celtic were to win it, but facts are facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Supposedly the free kicked Traore conceded was not actually a free kick after all, as Larson fell on his own accord. If thats true just think how different the game would have turned out if the free kick was not awarded to celtic.

Baros is a much better player than heskey but GH still opts for heskey, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

probably one of the poorest european games i have ever witnessed in my life.
    two medicore teams playing crap football

am I the only one who fully agrees with this?

I thought the match was pure ****e.

Terrible refereeing....poor football...terrible defending...poor shooting...

bring on the CL QF with UTD v Real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭hells angels

tompson got a bit lucky with the wall jumping and all but hartsons goal was just brilliant...i mean wot a finish...around three defenders and right into the top corner....g'wan the CELTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Crap Game, good result for Celtic, hopefully they can go on and win it now, but playing like that they will not win much of anything TBH.

BTW, what happened to not posting scores in thread names ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer i agree T4TF, happened in the arsenal everton game too and is quite annoying imo.

Advertisement