Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.8 Channel Master dishes

• 20-03-2003 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Does anyone know of anywhere which is selling 1.8 Channel Master dishes or dishes of a similar size?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

If you really want one and have a problem getting one in Ireland,let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I would say that there is no way you could walk into any retailer and walk out with a CM 1.8.
    I would imagine that it will be imported from the UK and a significant cost to you and then there is tranport cost on this side for you.

...i would prepare yourself for €1000+ on the dish and then you have to get a suitable CM lnb to maximise the dish performance.

Why not just go for a 1.8 prime focus dish which can be obtained pretty cheap here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Biggest retail I seen here is 1.2m in Urlan TV.

1.8m has serious wind loading. You would want some advice or expertise in mounting.

Even a 90cm dish becomes serious at end of 6ft pole instead of a normal bracket (Used for LOS 2.4Ghz link... Now I know why Eircom uses "pylons". Anyone want a L shaped pole?)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

..if you have a walled garden with a nice aspect.
    (Though my minidish is actually mounted 1 foot off the ground in case any cats walk past)

A bigger dish will provide the LNB with a stronger signal, but a shorter, better quality cable will improve the signal from the LNB into the receiver (a lower noise LNB also helps).

So worth looking at using new cable - properly waterproofed with amalgating tape and make the cable run as short as possible (one trick here is a remote control extender) otherwise you might loose all the advantages of a larger dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

LNB output is really an IF signal. It is at a high level preamplified by a MMIC line driver. Unless the cable is bad any station you don't get with a 20m cable you won't get with a 2m cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by chernobyl

Why not just go for a 1.8 prime focus dish which can be obtained pretty cheap here.

Where?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I have seen dish's in the past, in the buy and sell. Examples were a 1.5M prime focus for €200 but you had to collect it yourself and a 1.8 prime focus for €500 but again, you had to collect it. The latter even came with the proper feedhorn..so good deal imo.

Advertisement