Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree cutting's

Options
  • 21-03-2003 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

My parents have a tree in their garden. I would like to take a few cuttings from it so I could grow a similar one in mine. Any idea how i would go about this?

or even any good sites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, I think there are commercial "hormones" you can get so onece you take the cutting you dip the open cut in the hormone and it promotes "root" cells, I imagine best results come from this time of year, just as they come out of hibernation. Go for straight young growth for cuttings.

I think it can be a bit hit and miss and you should take more cuttings than you need. My father used to do it a lot, but I never did it myself.

If you can, collect seeds in the autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

the best way is experiment,

The main thing is take your cuttings just below the bud and give them plenty of soil a rule of thumb is about a third of your cutting should be below the soil for stability whilst your cutting roots.
    Dont forget to repot regularily to prevent cutting becoming root bound.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

It's too early now.. wait till mid-summer
    Read more here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 writeaccess

Spring is a bit early this year so there is already a good bit of new growth on some trees. You migh get away with it now. No harm in trying if they die take more cuttings in the summer

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

there is already a good bit of new growth on some trees
    Unless you live in the south of France, most deciduous trees haven't broken bud (leafed-out) yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 writeaccess

True but many ornamental trees have

Advertisement