Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venables resigns as Leeds manager

• 21-03-2003 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Terry Venables has resigned as manager of Leeds United. The former England manager, who took over from David O'Leary last summer, had endured an uneasy reign at Elland Road after being forced to sell many of his prized assets to balance the books. He is believed to have already agreed a compensation deal with Leeds. Eddie O'Grady will take charge of team affairs until the end of this season.

Loads a moneeeey!!!

unison.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Well done Terry another club you've ruined,

Spurs
    Crystal Palace
    Portsmouth
    Leeds

He's a disgrace

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I bet poor Micko wish he held out another few months and he might have been inline for this job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well it's about time. I could see it coming when Woodgate was sold.

As for El Tell ruining Leeds I don't think that's very fair. Granted he's a brutal manager but the fact still remains that Leeds Utd is sorta like a dictatorship with the muppet Ridsdale at the helm. He's ruining the club by his actions and decisions. He has to go or else leave the manager's job to the manager.

Whats the bets Kewell will leave now as well. Ridsdale won't be to contain himself with that amount of money at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

He was always fighting a losing battle at leeds.

Its too high a profile job and they need a martin o neill type manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I think the big problem at Leeds was definitely the fallout from a quickly and expensively assembled squad losing faith in the manager (ie David O'Leary). That left Venables with an almost impossible job to do. To try and sort a team with so many divisions (many caused by the court case), with so many 'difficult' personalities (Kewell, Viduka, Bowyer, Dacourt) and in such financial dissarray... I'm not surprised he failed. Plus Venables had the added handicap of being totally ****e.

Terrible thing is, is now we have the added sufferance of hearing his faux-cockney wide boy emissions on the already insuferable The Premiership.

Ahhh - Jeff Stelling - knocks Des Lynam into a cocked hat week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Sposs
    Well done Terry another club you've ruined,

Spurs
    Crystal Palace
    Portsmouth
    Leeds

He's a disgrace

In all fairness, you can't really blame el Tel for ruining Leeds. The decisions to sell our top players weren't made by him, but by Ridsdale and Co. Having sod all money to buy replacements hasn't helped much either, but then again how was he ever going to replace a player valued at 30 mill for 3 million..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Peter Reid has been named as Caretaker manager for the next 8 games.

If he does well he might keep the job. Any other names you can think of to fill the position? How about Gordan Strachan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

A very good choice IMO but then again they have to do something about that muppet Ridsdale mucking up the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

If he does well he might keep the job. Any other names you can think of to fill the position? How about Gordan Strachan?

I doubt Strachan would go. He's doing great at Southampton, has a good relationship with Rupert Lowe, and would be entering a situation where money, an overbearing and underfire chairman and massive fans expectation would cripple his chances.

Why do that when he's on the pigs back at Southampton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Ridsdale has ruined the club, not Venables. He proved how good a manager he is when he did very well with England at Euro 96. I pity Leeds fans if O Leary gets back in, although if Reid encourages a bit of fight in them (and he already says he is going to pick Batty), then he might get the nod permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I really cant see any point in sacking El Tel at this point, I doubt Peter Reid will get any more points, as for the future the Notts Forrest manager Paul Hart (whos an ex Leeds player) is being touted but if Forrest go up why would he leave? Leeds are in terminal decline, they'll have to do a Man City (Down, down down, up up up)
    I think.

Mike.

Advertisement