Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PDs and 3rd level education fees

Options
  • 21-03-2003 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭

Mary Harney has done a U turn on her previous statement that "the pds will oppose the reintroduction of 3rd level fees". What she is now saying is fees will not be reintroduced for existing 3rd level students. Wonder what the young PDs stance since they opportunistically used the issue of fighting fees to promote themselves. Are they just going to stand around and let Mary Harney dictate their policy or are they more than just mere puppets. Will they stand up to Ms Harney or will they allow her to dictate their personal views or perhaps they didn't really believe in free fees in the first place just promoting themselves

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 antrophy

There was a thread on this issue before...my advice is not to moan and compalin, and fundamentally no to take this laying down but to act, to organise, educate and agitate against it.

See the Campaign for Free Education Website at http://www.freeeducation.cjb.net to see how we've been doing just that all year, and get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not moaning, as a student union sabbatical officer I have been extremely active about this issue all year. I even organised a protest when Charlie McCreevy visited our campus (NCI) in October

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement