Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Quater Finals

• 21-03-2003 12:31pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the draw is about to happen, some serious teams in it.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by yop
    So the draw is about to happen, some serious teams in it.
    I'm praying to get Inter. I don't fancy us against Ajax or Real.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Makes no odds, have to beat what is arguably the best QF line up in a lot of years and contains definately the best teams in Europe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*Drum roll*

And the draw is as follows:

United V Real Madrid = FUC

Ac Milan V Ajax

Valencia V Inter

Barcelona V Juventus

SEMI Final

United OR Real Madrid - First leg at home
    V
    Barcelona OR Juventus

Ac Milan OR Ajax - First leg at home

V

Valencia OR Inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

My hunch of a United v Valencia final is on.

Real will be tough of course but they are certainly not playing as well as they were last season. There for the taking.

Come on United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

A few great encounters ahead so. I can't wait for the AC Vs. Ajax match.

Some craic in Italy if Inter and AC get through.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Theres was no easy teams left,theres going to be some cracking matches,i felt from the start its going to be Utds year especially the ease in which they beat juventus at home and away, and i'll stand by that,at least this way when we win you can say we did it beating the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The last time United won, was by beating the best also, Inter, Juve, Bayern, they're no slouches.

Hopefully United will win again, they've cracked the European way of playing, even if sometimes its tricky in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Great line up of games ,please god let Tv3 show that AC vs Ajax game.

Utd will have to play very well to beat Real ,they are capable and its n ot cause Real are playing well (which they are if league tables are anything to go by)

I can see Utd winning that game and Barcelona maybe beating Juve ,juves ineptness vs Utd in Turin makes me think Barce can score against them also.

AC to beat Ajax in what looks to be 2 great games.
    And Inter to beat Valencia.

But i said Celtic wouldnt score vs Liverpool

kdjac

I too think United will beat Real but it will be very very tight. I think Barca will easily see off Juventus. They are a very poor team for quarter final standards. United should see off Barca in the semis then.

Milan should beat Ajax but fancy Valencia to beat Inter and then to beat Milan in the semi.

Simple as that. ;)

• Advertisement

Fuck it! Ah well, anyone know if United are at home for the first leg and away for the second leg?

Becuase they won their group they get the advantage of the second leg at home .

Madrid on April 08th and Manchester on April 23rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Totally agree the prospect of a Valencia vs. Utd Final. It'd be tough on Valencia to lose out in a third final. But i reckon its our year.

Every game from here on in is going to be a classic. Its easily the best quarter final lineup i've ever seen.Every one with the exception of juventus (and maybe Valencia to a lesser extent), a quality attacking team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think IF united get to the final they should win, but I also think you are taking alot for granted. Real are kind of a good side. Also a fully fit Juve would not be a walk in the park for the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>Real will be tough of course but they are certainly not playing as well as they were last season

bucks, they are not only top of their own league (they weren't at this stage last year), and on course to win it, but are just approaching their peak in Europe, which may occur against United.

Barcelona and AC Milan were my tips at the start of the season though, and I think I'll stick with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

These are the games the champions League was set up for :)

Man my mouth is watering :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Barca - Milan final.
    It's faith.
    Barcelona to win it then.

Originally posted by bucks73
    Becuase they won their group they get the advantage of the second leg at home .

Madrid on April 08th and Manchester on April 23rd.
    I wouldn't exactly call that an advantage. When we won the Treble in '99, we had home games for the first leg and away for the second leg. Every time United have been knocked out in the past few years (bar last year) we had to play away first and home second. I'm not really looking forward to that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Barca - Milan final.
    It's faith.
    Barcelona to win it then.

Even if Barcelona did win, it'd never erase the memory :]

The way Milan are playing at the mo they might not even beat Ajax though :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Originally posted by bucks73
    My hunch of a United v Valencia final is on.

Real will be tough of course but they are certainly not playing as well as they were last season. There for the taking.

Come on United.

They are top of the toughest league in the world, a league in which Valencia are only in fourth place at the moment and Barcelona are in the bottom half...........
    Think they are starting to click and expect them to be to much for Man U over two legs.
    Personally would love to see either Valencia or Inter win it though, Valencia deserve it after twice making the final, then again Hector Couper twice guided them there and it would also be nice for him to get it at the third time of asking.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PiE
    Even if Barcelona did win, it'd never erase the memory :]

It will when we win 4-0. :)

Originally posted by Jake303
    Valencia deserve it after twice making the final, then again Hector Couper twice guided them there and it would also be nice for him to get it at the third time of asking.
    Actually, Claudio Ranieri got them to the first final, Hector Couper got them to the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Jake303
    Valencia deserve it after twice making the final

Clearly if a team gets to a CL final twice and doesn't win on either occasion then it is a good indicator that they DON'T deserve to win it in the event of a third opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

unless of course the win it on 3rd attempt then they did deserve to win it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Didnt know Raneri managed Valencia thought he was last at Atletico when they were relegated.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    unless of course the win it on 3rd attempt then they did deserve to win it ;)
    That's absolutely true but no team 'deserves' to win anything purely by the virtue of coming close in a couple of previous occasions ... which is what the guy said.

Well we know what has happened when we all on the boards start predicting outcomes of matches, I think we are the worst shower of mistic megs around. So I wouldn;t even bother :D

Remember the last predictions!! Liverpool to win the league, CL came out at one stage!!
    Arsenal to win the CL!
    Arsenal to walk the league!!
    Arsenal to win everything

United to win everything

Liverpool to beat United in league
    Arse to beat United in League
    United to beat city
    United to beat liverpool in Wort final
    Liverpool to beat celtic!!

:D:D:D

BTW - In case I get flamed I am only messin
    It's faith.
    Don;t get what you mean here? Was it fate that you meant here??

If it was why is it fate?

Yeah fate is what I meant.
    Because it's Barcelonas chance to get revenge for the 4-0 defeat a few years back.
    Both teams are doing well in the CL (Milan havent featured strongly in it over the past couple of seasons), the draw is set so they can meet each other in the final. It's all falling into place.
    Also, it's in Old Trafford and Utd won it in the Nou Camp so it's only right that Barca win it in Manchester.
    ok, so the chances of it actually being a Barcelona - A.C. Milan final are slimish and the chances of Barcelona winning said final 4-0 is almost unthinkable, but I can always dream. But if it does happen, remember who said it first. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

pfft, Man U to go out to the hands of real.

• Advertisement

I get ya now, is fate alright if you look at it that way :D

And I will remember who said it alright, BTW - put some yoyos on it, you never know

Advertisement