Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web in the US with a laptop?

Options
  • 21-03-2003 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi -

A colleague of mine is going to the US tomorrow, and he wants to know the best way to access the web.

Is it like here i.e. free CDs for ISPs in petrol stations etc.?

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

im in the US at the moment, chicago mostly and havent heard of any free ISP's.

Best bet is to get a free trial of AOL (yes i know!!!!) or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, if he's staying in a hotel, they will more than likely have some form of broadband access he can hook up to, if he has a Network card for the laptop..

Usually for around $10 - $12 per day...

Alternatively, many hotels, restaurants (MacDonalds!) etc.. offer wireless connectivity to the internet, if he has a wireless card..
    MacDonalds giver you something like 1/2 hour free with a Big Mac Meal!

Have a read of this article!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks for the replies -

He's staying in some motel in the middle of nowhere - probably unlikely to have broadband.
    I think he'll just go with a free AOL trial. Yik!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

When I was there last year, I used NetZero. It provides a local dial up number, but in return it gives an "add bar" at the top of the screen. Not too annoying, if you don't mind the ads, but it does sound like what your friend wants.

It's at http://www.netzero.com

Advertisement