Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing new CPU, computer dead!!

• 21-03-2003 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi,

I just bough a new P4 CPU of Elara and it arrived today. When I went to install it and I turned off my comp, opened it up and removed the old CPU.

I then got the new CPU and was about to install it when I noticed there was no termal pad or thermal past on the heatsink. Knowing I could not use it till I got some thermal paste I put back in the old CPU.

But when I started my comp, not much happens. I can hear the fans on, a small bit of HD activity, but the monitor never comes on.

There is no beep codes, nothing.

I removed the graphics card, no effect.

The heat sink of the CPU is warm, so I would imagine it is connected properly.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

well.. to find out if youve duffed up your old CPU try turning it on without the CPU in it at all..

If you get beep codes, the MBD is telling you its not there.

So you stick it back in, and it doesnt beep, the MBD sees the CPU, the problems not the CPU.

Also it may not be a bad idea to reseat any other cards or cables inside the system, sometimes you can knock em loose while youre upgrading components...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

the comp won't even turn on with out the old CPU connected.

Its a P4 1.8GHz, 400Mhz bus.

Any other suggestions? I can think of what else I can do. What do you do when there is no beep code and no monitor!?

What is the Old CPU?
    What type of motherboard is it?

Since you havent put the new CPU into the system yet, then its not part of the problem, we needn't discuss it for the moment.

Ok without the CPU in the board it doesn't turn on.

With the CPU in it will turn on, but there is no display and no beep codes.

If this is the case I would say that its probably one of the other hardware components in the system is loose or has become damaged.

The easiest way to find out where the problem is, is to remove everything.

1. Remove all components from the system board. Even disconnect the IDE cables for the Hard Drives/CD Rom and the Floppy.

2. Put The CPU RAM and Video Cards into the board. Try to boot the PC.

If it will not post then one of these is your problem. (I'll come back to this)

If it does POST then reconnect each device and try to boot the machine after connecting each one, in the following order, where applicable.

Hard Drive
    Floppy
    CD Rom
    Sound Card
    Network Card
    Modem
    Anything else.

Now if it didnt post with just the CPU RAM and Graphics card connected.. One of these may be causing the problem.

Remove the system RAM, and try to turn it on.
    Does it beep?
    If yes then RAM isn't the problem.
    If no then it may be the mainboard.

Remove the Graphics Card and try to turn it on.
    Does it beep?
    If yes then Video Card isn't the problem.
    If no then it may be the mainboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You might need to clear the cmos on the board, have a look at the motherboard manual.

the old CPU is the 1.8Ghz, the new one I bought is 2.4Ghz.

OK, I will give what you said a go and get back to ya.

Also the computer is a Dell Dimension 8200, so it is some Dell mobo.

• Advertisement

Pimp, I owe you a pint!

I disconnected everything and then the bios screen came back, added things one by one and didn't have any problems.

I then tried putting in the new CPU, same problem again! After a few minutes cursing I got the old cpu installed again (took some trouble, so maybe it was a loose connection?)

Thanks for the help Pimp, I think I won't try fix any thing else that isn't broken! I'll try and return the CPU to Elara for something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

When you're messing with the hardware, do you turn the machine off or plug it out? The difference is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Thanks for the help Pimp, I think I won't try fix any thing else that isn't broken! I'll try and return the CPU to Elara for something else.

would ye not try dell.com for a BIOS upgrade? Or google for people with a similar machine who may have had the same prob?

Happy to help.. glad its worked out for you, apologies about your new processor.

The Dell website is usually good at finding out what your system will take, there may be, as SouperComputer said, a bios update there that will allow your board to support the new CPU.

You'll need a System Number or something like that, it's located on a sticker somewhere on the system case.

Most Dell boards are intel boards and in the past I've used the latest Intel bios (once I've identified the correct one obviously) with some success. Check out the Dell talk user support forums they are bound to be full of info about this kind of an upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Is it just me or didnt anyone ask will this mobo take that speed or type chip.. ??

With the above comments i,d suggest going to the website and seein what she,ll take etc.
    Cheers Appy

Because if it takes a 1.8 (100fsb) then it should take a 2.4 (100fsb) with a simple bios update. I doubt it would take any (133fsb) processors though. Like I said most Dells are intel boards and in the past I've added unsupported/newer processors to them by using a later Intel bios. But like you said you could confirm all this on the Dell talk forums which are in fairness pretty good.

Incidentally cherrio how quiet is your Dell?

Because if it takes a 1.8 (100fsb) then it should take a 2.4 (100fsb) with a simple bios update. I doubt it would take any (133fsb) processors though

huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

hes asking wether he mighta bought the 800fsb cpu and put it into a mobo that can only support 400 (which was what his old one was at).... i think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

There are two versions of the p4 2.4 currently out on the market. The 400fsb version, and the 533, which is referred to as the 2.4B , B signifying 533mhz fsb speed. I dunno which your chip was,but it is quite wierd that it didn`t work. It is possible that the chip checked if the board had 533 bus support, found out that it didn`t and then refused to boot. Its quite difficult to kill a p4, they have extremely good thermal protection. The only ways I can think of are busting the pins up or loads of static. Btw the 800mhz fsb p4 hasn`t been released yet, it needs a new chipset ( canterwood )

the CPU is the problem??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

u sure the 800 fsb cpu aint been released yet cos i seen them for sale in the US. There are also mobos avail to take em. AT least in the US.

Might be an idea to see what fsb the cpu you bought was.

Advertisement