Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Saddam Alive?

Options
  • 21-03-2003 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Speculation is growing,on the BBC in particular,that Saddam died in the initial attack.Do you believe he is dead?From the start people thought it was suspicious that he did not make a live tv broadcast,merely a taped one.
    But IMO the reason for this is because if he was to make a live broadcast the US could probably trace the live satellite uplink signal,pinpoint his location and kill him.
    Also is it true that he has made another tv appearence?I think it was mentioned in passing on RTE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Haven't heard that he was on TV again? But I believe the broadcast was genuine.. Saying he's dead.. It's just american propoganda to make iraqi soldiers believe their leader is dead so they'll surrender easier..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I was reading on the bloomberg there a few hours ago that the americans reckon they killed Uday, his son. Mind you its all conjecture and they cant know beyond educated guesses - If Saddam did die, and those recordings were taped a long while ago - then it means someone or some group has taken at least temporary control and is attempting to keep the war effort going instead of immediately capitulating, as the americans would no doubt have hoped for. Not sure if thats a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

From the start people thought it was suspicious that he did not make a live tv broadcast,merely a taped one.

I don't think he ever does live broadcasts. That said, some people took his mention of the date of the bombing yesterday as proof that he's alive, but it's not really beyond the bounds of belief that he'd make a half dozen of these. He's intelligent enough to know this was coming and that there's no way he can win, so self-preservation will have been the key for the last month or so. I'd be very, very surprised if he was dead. Matter of fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "credible information" the US got last night wasn't one last bit of fun before he buggered off. That'd be Saddam all out: "I'm sick of waiting, let's get that dumbass to kick things off."

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 froggy 2

I think he is alive.
    He has made 3 appearances on TV after the 1st day bombing. The first one being clearly improvised and he was looking as a man who had just escaped from a bombed blockaus.
    For the others (his sons), that is more unclear.

Advertisement