Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a modem

Options
  • 21-03-2003 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

I know most ADSL modems take an RJ-45 cable. I can get an ADSL modem for £15, thing is it takes an RJ-11 cable. Anyone seen this before....

Or am I missing something glaringly obvious...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

BTW it's a SpeedStream 3060 if anyone has used one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yes you are missing somethign very obvious, its an internal PCI modem. Against my religion to use Them, performance wise and networking wise your better off with external modems. Also you dont have to mess about with this driver or that one.

Btw total wrong forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by James Melody
    I know most ADSL modems take an RJ-45 cable. I can get an ADSL modem for £15, thing is it takes an RJ-11 cable. Anyone seen this before....

Input to DSL modem:

PSTN = RJ11
    ISDN = RJ45

Output from DSL modem:

Ethernet = RJ45
    USB = USB

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

I know most ADSL modems take an RJ-45 cable. I can get an ADSL modem for £15, thing is it takes an RJ-11 cable.
    According to the specs for this DLink external ADSL modem the ADSL connection is an RJ-11 connection. An internal PCI ADSL modem wouldn't need any output, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Er, £15? where exactly did you find that, that seems like an excellent price for a DSL modem considering the cheapest I've seen is 88 euro or so.

• Advertisement

I got it on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3407386115&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:UK:6

The seller has loads more if anybody else is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hey James, let us all know how you get on with the modem.

Will do,

just waiting for Eircon to install the line....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Boston
    Yes you are missing somethign very obvious, its an internal PCI modem. Against my religion to use Them, performance wise and networking wise your better off with external modems. Also you dont have to mess about with this driver or that one.
    PCI modems can be great. I use one and I get as good bandwidth and latency as anyone else. The card does all the hard DSL stuff in hardware, leaving the host PC to deal with ATM packets. It has its own onboard ARM processor and the same chips as you'll find in half the ethernet modems out there. I hear you on the driver issue though.

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Er, £15? where exactly did you find that, that seems like an excellent price for a DSL modem considering the cheapest I've seen is 88 euro or so.
    I got mine from Dabs where it's on sale for 28.08 GBP ex VAT. That works out at about 50 euro inc. VAT, but Dabs charge a flat £20 ex VAT for delivery to Ireland. A good deal when you're getting a 19" monitor and half a server in the same order. Not such a good deal when all you want is the one little cheap PCI card.

Shadow-lord has one of these cards, and was looking to sell it in the For Sale forum (it's quite challenging to get the card working under Linux so he gave up and bought an ethernet router instead). Dunno if he still has it - he was looking for EUR80 + P&P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Do €ircon allow you to use your own ADSL modem when signing up for their service?

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Do €ircon allow you to use your own ADSL modem when signing up for their service?
    Yes. Initially they mandated their own modems on Solo and Multi, but ComReg have since cured them of that. If the biddy tries to suggest Eircom's modem is a required purchase, tell her ComReg has ruled otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

I still have the ADSL PCI modem if anyone is interested.

Description: ADSL PCI Modem Still In Box Internal PCI card ADSL Suitable for eircom ADSL line Up to 8Mb/s downstream, 1Mb/s upstream RJ11 connection (phone) Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP

€80 + P&P

Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to BB (not sure if Nets/Comms wouldn't be better - up to the BB mods if they want to keep it)

Advertisement