Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuning problems.

• 22-03-2003 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I have read every guitar tuning related thread on this board, and I do know how to tune. But you might notice that if you tune each string progressively lower than the last, it may still sound fine.
    Likewise, if you tune each string marginally tighter than the last, it will sound ok.

Here's where I get to the point: I play in a band, and we lately have tuning problems. It's just between me and the other guitarist. We both use tuners and the guitars sound fine individually, but when we play the same chord together it sometimes sounds terrible. We don't know what to do abuot it.

I use a GT-3 tuner on my fender strat, and I have new machine heads which look like the originals, but you use a screwdriver to tighten the top, and then you tune away (doing away with the need to wrap if you like!). I also have my tremelo system completely jammed shut with a deck of cards. It doesn't budge.

The other guy, lets call him Dan, uses a fender tuner (with a needle instead of lights). He has a Les Paul I don't think it's the original, it's an SG or something. Some kind of replica, but common enough.

Anyway, I'd better leave it at that if I expect anyone to read this. Any ideas out there?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Could be due to the fact that you jammed shut your trem... I assume this is a floating bridge? Floyd Rose maybe? Because if so, you'll need to un-jam it, and reset it properly. If you dont know what you're doing, or you dont know how to set it properly, it'll just go out of tune in a minute or two... And jamming it definetly wouldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks AngelWhore, I'll look into it. The tremelo system doesn't budge but I'll check in the guitar shop and see what they say. I've seen musicians do entire gig's without tuning! I'm also considering investing in a Boss tuner. Possibly better than the one I use at the moment. I'm also getting new pickups, in case the signal going to the tuner isn't perfect.

You might be a little better off trying to tune from ear, rather than rely on a tuner. But you're right about bringing it to a guitar shop, they'll know best. As for playing an entire gig without tuning, that certainly doesn't suprise me. I've a BC Rich NJ Series Virgin, lovely locking system, although it's a bitch to string, it'll stay in tune for ages. I've not tuned it in weeks, although its noticably a bit off now...

That's the only thing that makes me wary of locking systems. If I snap a string in the middle of a song, I can't hold up the whole show stringing up. (Even though my new machine heads take a little extra tlc).

By the way, I meant to ask you, Do you notice that open chords might sound tuned, but barred chords slightly different? I tried overcoming this with a wound G string, but it's very hard to bend for solos.

No, definetly never noticed anything like that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

If at all possible try and make sure that both guitarists use the same Tuner, this is a key rule in recording so it carrys over to live stuff too. Take the feckin deck out of your bridge and let it float, if you dont use it maybe look into a les paul or something. chekc your mate when he is tuning up and see if he is messing up could just be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

Originally posted by merlin_bar
    By the way, I meant to ask you, Do you notice that open chords might sound tuned, but barred chords slightly different? I tried overcoming this with a wound G string, but it's very hard to bend for solos.

This could be an intonation problem, where each note gets slightly more out of tune as you go up the fretboard. Can be fixed by changing the length of the string at the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

...yes, sounds like an intonation problem to me, and what you're doing to your floyd rose isn't helping, also as strings get older and deader they don't intonate as well, so if you're checking your intonation I'd suggest doing it with a fresh set of strings. (get dan to do it too!)

Well, looks like you are all right! I took my guitar into a guy called Kieran Maloney in Galway. My intonation was out a little, and the fact that my frets were well worn down was also effecting the notes, I should have copped that.

Anyway, between himnself and his partner, they do practically anything you could need done to a stringed instrument, and their prices are fair. (about €165 to refret a Fender).

Anyway, thanks for the help. The contact number for Kieran is (091) 566488 in case anyone has similar problems. They know thier stuff and impressed the hell out of me!

Advertisement