Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios Beeping :(

• 22-03-2003 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with a Compaq Deskpro PIII 500

I have no display it just beeps one long beep 3 short beeps then it tries to access the floppy drive and another 2 short beep

I have swapped the AGP card for a PCI still the same

I have reseat the CPU and memory still the same

When I remove all the memory The pc wont beep at all

I have replaced the CMOS Battery still no joy
    I think it either the memory, Cpu or board
    Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

That beep sequence means the Graphics card usually. Try putting the Old AGP card back in, and make sure it's in properly.

Failing that try another AGP card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

well I cant try a different AGP card as in this model of compaw its only a mini agp size card, I think its a memory/CPU/Board still as when I insert memory its beeps no memory no beep ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Good possibility there..

Try the memory in another slot (if theres one there)

Can yuo get more RAM to test it with another stick???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

According to Compaq ...

Beeps: 1L, 3S

Probable Cause:
    System ROM is bad; system is running in Failsafe Boot Block mode.
    Recommended Action:
    Reflash the ROM using a ROMPaq diskette. Refer to the “Failsafe Boot Block ROM” section of the Intelligent Manageability guide.

I downloaded "Troubleshooting Guide Compaq Deskpro Family of Personal Computers", a generic Deskpro thing. Confirm this with whatever documentation (hopefully printed) that came with your PC. I haven't a clue wat a ROMPaq diskette is, you can probably download something to make one though, I'll leave that as an exercise ;)

I'd does make sense though, seeing as the computer is trying to read the floppy drive after boot, looking for this ROMPaq.

You know you are pretty close to having a dead and useless system, before using that floppy do a full surface scandisk on it, I have had the wonderfully painful experience of flashing a bios with a corrupted bootdisk, don't you do it too!

Rob

Advertisement