Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths Urgent

• 22-03-2003 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi just a few quick questions:

1.I've only covered-Q1,Q3,Q4,half of Q10 so far. How much more can I aim to get myself taught(using fundamental applied maths) before June?

2.What are the best and shortest questions to study?

3.What questions should I avoid?

4. Any tips for this year's paper?

5. Any sites on the net that teach you applied maths.

6. Am I ****ed?(want to get an A1, good at honours maths, not doing physics)

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its March, I dont think I started to study for my AM exam until about now at all!

You're fine. Get all the old exams and simulate the exam conditions as very best you can (I even managed to get exam answer booklets). Sit the exams over and over again, at least one a weekend. You'll start to be able to do them in your sleep and when the day arrives it'll just be another exam. (dont look at the past questions before simulating the exam if you can help it).

Go to a good grind teacher if you dont have a good teacher. John Brown in the Institute is the best teacher in the country for AM imho. Tell him Tom Murphy sent you heheh :)

You've a long way to go yet, keep on trucking.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pfitz

seriously considering doing applied maths instead of french
    im doing ordinary level french and wouldnt get over a D

im doing honours maths and physics

if i studied on my own and went to the easter revision course
    would it be hard to get a good grade?

what books will i have to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by aidan2003
    Hi just a few quick questions:

1.I've only covered-Q1,Q3,Q4,half of Q10 so far. How much more can I aim to get myself taught(using fundamental applied maths) before June?

2.What are the best and shortest questions to study?

3.What questions should I avoid?

4. Any tips for this year's paper?

5. Any sites on the net that teach you applied maths.

6. Am I ****ed?(want to get an A1, good at honours maths, not doing physics)

1. It's hard to say, if you're just looking for a C then I think you can get away with six questions done, if you're looking for an A then i reckon you'd want 8 or 9 done incase you get something funky looking on the day. Also the Fundatmental Applied Maths book doesn't teach you everything you need to know for the exam ie relative wind questions for Q2.

2. Best questions to study? It's relative really, I used to think statics was an easy question. The shortest questions though are hydrostatics ( if you're quick ) or the calculus Q10 ( if integration is your thing )

3. You'd really want to make your own judgements on that.

4. I can't think of any off hand.

5. Not that I know of, I'm sure there would be a market for them judging by the amount of AM related messages we get here :D

6. It depends, if you've been getting A's all year in maths then you'll be grand, otherwise an A might be difficult.

Originally posted by DeVore
    I even managed to get exam answer booklets.

As in official ones? can I have them? :)

Originally posted by DeVore

John Brown in the Institute is the best teacher in the country for AM imho.

I beg to differ :) olly murphy all the way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Fundamental Applied Maths is a very bad book for perparing you for the leaving cert, its too old and doesnt cover enough. Also it lacks explanations.

Just keep doing A. maths questions and give them to you're teacher to correct them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Unfortunatly the course in the institute seem to be teached by Aidan Rowntree, the revision course anyway, who is just nowhere near as good as John Brown, who is the best maths teacher ever.

Luckily I have an amazing applied mahts teacher in my school.
    Has anyone ever heard of a bad applied maths teacher?

I only know Q1, Q2, Q3[not well], Q6, Q10

Statics is a lot like particle dynamics but I havn't studied it yet, and hydrostatics is just an extension of it.

Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice

Is the only way in maths :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

PHB the applied maths course is thought by oliver murphy at the institute, and i'm pretty sure hes the same one for the revision courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pfitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aidan2003

Is there anyone here who is going to be doing the Applied Maths revision course at the Institute OF Education at Easter willing to post the notes from the course on the net for me. I live in Munster so I can't make it myself. Please I'm really desperate.

Not sure about posting them up cause they're copyrighted by the 'tute, and it does say STRICTLY copyrighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aidan2003

I am sure there is someone here who is willing to fracture the law for a desperate person like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Aiden Rowntree did the Ap maths revision course at Christmas and before 6th year started time so I'd guess hes doing the easter one.

Also aidan, the notes aren't that good, its just the techniques he teachs in class.

You're best bet is to get that new apmaths book thats out, and just practice practice practice practice practice practice until you've done eveyr question 20 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah inst. A. maths notes suck ass.

You miss one day...

Okay so Im looking over the notes, hmmm whats the answer to this question.... *blank*

sigh....

Advertisement