Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beta version of my Web Site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Very nice!
    It's only a pity some of the links on the main page don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Pretty, but a little on the slow side. I'd remove your contact details though, only ever give an email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd recommend removing your phone number. If they really want it they can e-mail you asking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

sure beats the piss out of my first ever site when i was 16 (all 5 years ago :))

great touch of flair to it, a change of server will prob speed things up

i would however make the text on the TEXT VERSION site a bit smaller. printing that will be a bit on the large size, imo.

great work for first go tho...

/edit

just took a peek at your html course code

<meta name="keywords" content="KERRY IRELAND TRALEE I wish to apply for work experience with your company......

i always thought that keywords were to be seperated by a comma ? somthing like

content="KERRY, IRELAND, TRALEE, Designer, Flash MX

correct me if im wrong...PLEASE :D

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    i always thought that keywords were to be seperated by a comma ? somthing like

content="KERRY, IRELAND, TRALEE, Designer, Flash MX

correct me if im wrong...PLEASE :D

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.3

I think you're right, the examples there always have a comma, but not always a space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

hey i used to live in racecourse lawn :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you want constructive feedback please read on, if you don't then don't, your choice. I just think negative feedback can often be more useful than positive.

You site really screams 17 year old warez kid. Your designs are very watsedyouth & things of their ilk. e.g. 'nice' photoshop & flash effects that ave come straight from tutorials. They don't look 'designed' per say. Which is pretty normal given you've had no Design training or teaching.

Basically your site is all software and little design.

If you're interested in getting into design you need ot seriously work on that. From a web perspective your usability isn't great. Froma design perspective things like layout typographyc colours could be improved substantially.

If you want to get into design then buy some design books, read about typography and layout, go to an art college.

Having said all that though, given it's your first proper site as you say it's pretty damn good, and the above is all judging it as a professional site.

Good luck with everything you decide to do in the future, you've got alot of potential...

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I agree with "P". Though the "look" you are trying to achieve is quite popular with new media type companies and not just warez kids IMO. Not everyone is looking for the corporate look, though in truth I prefer it aswell. I'd definately start looking at other sites and how and why they are constructed in the way that they are. I'd also look into putting a php/mysql backend into it as this will unconciously develop your style as you will code and design the pages to suit the backend and not just to please the eye. This will make the site look more professional too. its also what most people ask for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah i think your site is very good, it's frightening that your only 17!! good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hey There!,

wow fecking amazing site. Great work I'm jelous hehe, still tho that site you've done gives a lot of inspiration to me. I love inspiration. Hey dont take those comments the wrong way about what p said and stuff - Just advice and stuff, usually when people give me advice I don't know it makes me feel angry because of what i've done is not good but don't worry. Just take the advice and continue your great work.

:D

./Webmonkey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Very good!

Just a couple of things

1. By chopping up your large images in Image ready, you can speed up download time

2. I would also look at a redesign. A bit of tweaking and all the page could fit in 1034 resolution screen. No scrolling requires. Might be a bit neater

Best of luck with the work experience

Originally posted by manonthemoon

1. By chopping up your large images in Image ready, you can speed up download time

How is one large image any faster than multiple small images, covering the same area and with the same content?

The only thing I can think of is that it will allow you to use a lower colour depth on some sections, but the gains from doing that is tiny.

Have I missed something?

Originally posted by phaxx
    How is one large image any faster than multiple small images, covering the same area and with the same content?

The only thing I can think of is that it will allow you to use a lower colour depth on some sections, but the gains from doing that is tiny.

Have I missed something?

It isn't. But you can design images that contain elements that can be created in code and tiles that would bring down the graphic sizes a lot. Theres lots of scope for using tiles in this website since the pattern is repeated in a few places.

As a last resort Fireworks is really great at optimising any images that can't be chopped up. Its usual practice to have all the images for a single page under 50k. And usually you warn users that the page has lots of heavy graphics on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I agree if the images were sliced. Adobe ImageReady is quite good. Well i'm not that up on the downloading part of sites but i presume that when an image is sliced producing more smaller ones is that each small image downloads from another connection to the server, like simultaneous connections instead of have one image big image coming down on one connection.

I've used the wrong terms here but thats my understanding of it. And i must agree they do tend to download quicker sliced.

./Webmonkey

What I'm also saying is that if you have a large graphics that contains repeated elements you can replace those parts of the graphics with code, be it coloured cells or 1 pixel wide graphics that are scaled to fill the space.

Look at this example. The page is a bit crude but it shows what I mean. This is made up like this layout and the these are the graphics used. Hopefully you can see where the large graphic has been replaced with code.

Also it pays to try different image formats as you can see from these example graphics here. In one case the JPG is smaller and in the other the PNG. Even though the graphics are very similar. Theres no golden rule that always works and image compression is a bit of black art, so you go with what works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

It loaded very fast for me here in work, its a wicked looking site keep up the good work. The force is strong in this one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

While it's nice to look at... I dont think it's worth the loading time on a dial-up connection.

It also looks very similar to other websites... With effects which have come straight outta tutorials.

There's also too many images. With there being only 11 letters on the screen (Text Version).

Your Flash Version is very good... though and I'm sure you'll be employed by a design company very shortly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 imfree

When you launch email from link on top of page I think you have left out a 't' in your email address.

On the 'Finishing Touches' site in your portfolio there are a lot of spelling and punctuation mistakes - I don't know if this site is live - but you may want to tell your client to check it out.

Advertisement