Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give back the Statue of Liberty!!!

Options
  • 22-03-2003 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

I wasn't sure whether to put it here or on the Humour board but: http://www.petitiononline.com/jwander/petition.html.
    To: U.S. Congress
    We want to give the Statue of Liberty back to the French!

IN BRIEF

Located in New York Harbor, the Statue of Liberty was a gift of international friendship from the people of France to the people of the United States and is one of the most universal symbols of political freedom and democracy...

Now it is time to give it back!

They can have their damn Statue.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Sure! NYC has already lost one of it's major landmarks, so lets just get rid of all of them! While they're at it, why don't they just demolish the Empire State Building. American idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Kind of funny that your not allowed see what people wrote.

I'd say 99% of the signatures are bull**** or something like "Yea we don't believe in liberty anymore". :)

http://www.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=66;t=000007

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    Sure! NYC has already lost one of it's major landmarks, so lets just get rid of all of them! While they're at it, why don't they just demolish the Empire State Building. American idiots.

There is a lot of Anti-French feeling in the US at the moment. The US will not be giving back the statue. It is only a comment that is a symtom of this anti - French feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Quoted from the board Hobbes linked....
    Of course, seeing how they've never won a war, they've got no room to talk

I do think it's amusing that the incredibly long and bloody history of France - including military conflicts such as the hundred years war, world war one and, er, the American War of Independence (which would never have gone anywhere without French support) - is all forgotten so easily because of the actions of Vichy France in WW2.

I mean, it's understandable that Americans don't consider history that important; after all, they have very little of it, and much of that which they do have isn't worth remembering, what with being full of eradication of native populations, unjust wars, getting their backsides handed to them in south east asia and the likes. Still, you'd think they'd actually read a book or two before launching into this kind of condemnation of a nation that was fighting and winning wars while America was still a few log huts on the East coast busily screwing over the Indians...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Well said. It's true that the Americans have the memory of a goldfish. "We will never forget blahdiblah" - gubbins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

I mean, it's understandable that Americans don't consider history that important; after all, they have very little of it, and much of that which they do have isn't worth remembering, what with being full of eradication of native populations, unjust wars, getting their backsides handed to them in south east asia and the likes. Still, you'd think they'd actually read a book or two before launching into this kind of condemnation of a nation that was fighting and winning wars while America was still a few log huts on the East coast busily screwing over the Indians...

I loved this one. Fighting and winning wars, at the peak of intellectual society in the arts of music, painting, philosophy (Camus and so on), poetry etc, lets not forget building a massive trade empire, discovering various places in the world and so on.

This tantrum of the Americans is so akin to the strop of a child bully when confronted by an older and wiser person.

Advertisement