Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV and Ebay

Options
  • 23-03-2003 4:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I had to switch off the Proxy Server option on UTVip as I couldn't bid on Ebay with it active (????????????)

Anyhow, what is the Proxy server setting for? is it vital?, do I need it enabled at all?, will I ever be free from Eircom's thumb? does anyone know where I left my keys??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Lucky you, I couldn't get it to work at all, despite using several different proxies they gave me, and trying it with proxy turned off. Might try again tonight, seeing as you've gotten it working.

You don't really *need* to use the proxy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka
    I had to switch off the Proxy Server option on UTVip as I couldn't bid on Ebay with it active (????????????)

Anyhow, what is the Proxy server setting for? is it vital?, do I need it enabled at all?, will I ever be free from Eircom's thumb? does anyone know where I left my keys??

The proxy works by storing images and pages. Say you browse to microsoft.com, using the proxy, it will save the webpages and images to it's hard drive. Next time you, or someone else goes to microsoft..com, the proxy will check if the pages it has stored are the same as on the website and if they are, it will send them you you. The webpage should download quicker for you.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

i think you left them in your trowser pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks for the replies, keys were in pocket afterall :-) !

Advertisement