Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hauppage WinTV???????HELP

• 23-03-2003 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I got me a WinTV card the other day.
    All is grand with it except I cant get channel 4. I have scanned and scanned and get all the other channels no probs but no channel4.
    A mate of mine had the same prob last year and I dunno if/how he sorted it.
    I got NTL cable and can get channel 4 on a regular TV.

Any Ideas peeps?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I got a Haupage Card a few years ago and had the same problem.

The reason for that Channel 4 (for whatever reason?) comes on a different band to all the other channels and as such it isn't picked when you do an auto-scan during setup.

I'd suggest doing a manual search yourself for C4 on the bands that aren't used by the auto-setup proceedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Yeah I'm the same .. no Channel 4. No E4 either. And I've just been way too lazy to set them up manually.

If you get it, could you let us know where it is and sace all of us manually scanning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joe bloggs

whats the picture quality like iam interested in getting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Hiya, I've got a Hauppauge here too. Depending on signal strength the tuner won't pick up CH4 or E4. Anyways, you'll need to enter them manually in Suite manager. The frequencies are 56MHz for Channel 4 and 64MHz for E4. (Go to suite manager and then Add | Tuner, select All Channels and slide the yokey across 'till you reach the frequency required :))

HTH

PS, don't suppose the files on the CD are more up to date than those on the site? Especially the Teletext VTPlus software...

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Is there a Hauppage on the market that accepts an RF input, a composite and does capture?

The reason for this being that I'm moving to England for 6 months and I'm bringing my PC but no telly and I'd quite like to run my PS2 into through a composite in as well...

• Advertisement

Hiya, the WinTV Theatre has an S-Video, Cable, Radio Antenna and line-in inputs. (As well as a remote control, FM tuner, image capture, video capture, teletext and dolby surround capabilites :D)

Check out hauppauge.com for a feature comparison chart ;)

Combined with Digiguide , a waaay cool TV guide, you'll end up watching faaaar to much television!

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That's one spicy meatball. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't think WinTV cards are much good for playing PS2 games on. I've tried this myself and the image quality is terrible. You don't really notice it with TV, but the ps2 games looked awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Cheers Oneweb,
    Got all my channels now:D
    Even found Discovery.

Anyone thinking of getting one of these cards, I recommend it.
    Not quite decent TV quality but if you got a decent monitor go for it.
    Make sure you get the card with the remote, jus cause its cool to av a remote for your PC:p
    Dont know if the drivers SW on the site is more up to date than the stuff supplied, will DL and Adv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

where can you buy hauppauge cards :confused:

• Advertisement

PC World do 'em, as do Maplin (but for even more €€€'s.

It is what it's.

IT Direct
    Temple Bar

64 Yo yo's for basic card

99 Yo Yo's for one wid remote
    :cool:

does the wintv go do good mpeg recording of tv for you ?
    acn you get good reception with an indoor aerial ?
    :)

Dunno about ariel but apperently u can- depends on signal strenght i suppose.

I am recording stuff now, there are a few different types of vid compression that it allows from uncompressed to v.****ty quality.
    I recorded Band of Brothers the other night with 16bit sound with DivX4 compression and it looks great and is easy on the HDD also.

Compression It offers- Cinepak Codec (?)
    Intel Indoe Vid 32
    Microsoft Video 1
    DivX 4.11
    Huffyuv 2.1.1
    DivX MPEG4 low/Fast Motion
    Microsoft MPEG4
    No Compression

great thanks ....one last thing, how do the pinnacle cards compare ?

Dunno about Pinnacle mate, happae seem to be the leader in the field.
    If you find out please advise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Any chance of the registry entries for your channels???

I used to have them myself, thanks to longfield, but lost them in an accidental format of the worng drive..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

There's a nifty open source project out there called DScaler.

brialliant stuff.

i have it and the image quality is far superior to the winTV software.

Been playing playstation on it for the last few days. looks great. playing gran turismo 2. the menus tend to be a little bit fuzzy, but the gameplay is lovely.

they say it needs fair auld horsepower to use it. I have lots of said horsepower so I don't know how it would run on an older machine.

I've had the card for 2 years now, and this is the first time I've been happy with it's quality.

It rocks.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Another vote for DScaler.
    Very happy with it, mouse wheel up and down to change channel is brilliant :)

Have WinTV aswell and it isnt half as good

While I'm at it, is anyone experiencing picture freezups with a WinTV card on Windows2000? I'm using the latest driver and app. The freezeups happen when the comp is doing something else (eg dialling to net, another app startup, or moz processing a heavy page.

This never happens on Win98SE on the same hardware.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

mmmm
    I get that also. Only freezez briefly, usually dont frrze enuff to annoy me that much but I am running a few apps then it gets worse.
    I running 2K also. have not tried it on 98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Sounds like more ram is needed to me!

Anyway are these cards worth getting for a 17 inch flat screen? I mean will i be complaining that the screen is too small? Sounds like a very tasty card to have...hmmmm the possibilities...

Originally posted by 50Cent
    Sounds like more ram is needed to me!

I don't think it's a RAM issue (system is full up with RAM). As I said earlier it doesn't happen (ever) in windows 98se. I'm thinking it's to do with Win2k's strictness on direct hardware access or something along those lines.

Anyway are these cards worth getting for a 17 inch flat screen? I mean will i be complaining that the screen is too small? Sounds like a very tasty card to have...hmmmm the possibilities...
    If by flat screen you mean TFT, (17TFT ~ 19CRT) It'd be an ideal size. I'm not sure if the pic would be as top quality though.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

I don't think it's a RAM issue (system is full up with RAM). As I said earlier it doesn't happen (ever) in windows 98se.

Whats full up with RAM like how much? The reason i say that is just cos win 2k uses well more resources and memory and cpu usage than win 98 however you probably knew that anyway...everyone does

Ye a 17" TFT. Didnt know it was the equivalent to a 19"CRT cos the resolution is 1280 * 768 max resolution which is apparently standard for these kind and a 19" CRT has a lot higher. I havent bought the 17" TFT yet but im getting there...Id love to have that TV card though. Im looking at one on Komplett that has a digital receiver as well...apparently receives channels all over the world...this has got to be bull**** right?:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've installed DScaler, but I can't get sound to work on the Irish channels :/
    Anyone any ideas?

Advertisement