Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up UT2003 for LANs

Options
  • 24-03-2003 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Has anybody made a working backup of Unreal Tournament 2003? Having read many accounts of CDs being lifted at LAN parties I would rather avoid the risk of having to pay another €40 or €50 for a game I have already bought.
    I realise I can use a no cd crack but am I right in thinking that these are illegal? And also that patches won't work with a crack?
    Clone CD and alcohol will make an image of the disc ok but it wont play from the mounted image.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No CD cracks arent illegall if you own the game afaik ,bring the box or manual as proof of ownership.

Will you be at your PC and belongings the whole time ??
    More than likely not so dont take the risk best to bring some proof of ownership and use no cds.

Kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The nocd crack for v2199 is at gamecopy world. You need the correct nocd version for the pach version your running. AFAIK as long as you own the cd there is nothing to stop you using nocd. I use it and can still play mutiplayer over the internet. Not sure about making a copy as haven't tried to? There may be something in gamecopy world about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

i dont think the people at lans are going to check your proof of ownership.

No cd cracks are not illegal as long as you own the game it works with, same with backups etc.

If you own the game, everythings legal apart from sharing it amoing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

bring the box or manual as proof of ownership.

avoid leaving the manual lying around too as the CD key is on it - if someone else gets that they can use your CD key online and block you......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

backup's of your own cd's (audio, games, office software) is actually illegal in most countries, UK and Ireland included...

no-cd cracks are illegal; but may not stand up to a court challenge; like the DVD region court cases and the court cases against console companies in different parts of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

hmmmz you sure? i was fairly sure it was legal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I don't care.
    I try and backup any important games I own, though flashpoint has been a bit of a heure in that regard.
    On the otherside, the publishers usually (or used to) let you post back the origional damaged (scratched, scraped etc.) media with a contribution towards postage, clerical work etc. (usually €10 or something) and they'd fire you out a new one.

has anyone checked this recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

1. I believe most people would find it difficult to post back a CD that was stolen on them to the publishers.

2. I was under the impression that most software EULAs were issued on a per user or per machine basis, dating back to the days when you could simply copy files from one drive or machine to another and play away. I tend not to read these, I just accept them and continue installing. But if that is the case then surely I can make as many backups as I like so long as it's only me using them on my computer?
    If I get REALLY bored I might just read the license agreement to check it out.
    But I can't see that happening!
    If the software police catch me I'll tell them you guys told me to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Discussing how to copy copyrighted cd's is not acceptable in this forum. It says as much in the Charter. This board is for discussing Games, not how to back them up.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement