Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb 2 backwards compatability

• 24-03-2003 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I've always just assumed usb 2.0 is backwards compatabile with 1

is it ? Is it in the specification like ?

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

afaik its down to the ppl that make the device to make it that way but so far from what ive seen they are all comming that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What do you mean? Do you mean can a USB2 port on a board take a USB1.1 device?

Or do you mean a USB2 device work on a USB1.1 port?

If its the latter then the answer will either be no or possibly depending on the device and maker! in other words its unlikely a USB2 hard drive (external) designed to work at about 460mbs is going to be backward compatible with 1.1 (about 2mbs or so).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ah right. ****. Was going to buy a USB 2, IDE hd converter from peats. I assumed it would work on usb 1.1, albeit at the slower rate of course. I'll have to try and find the manufacturers website.

or another type !

thanks for the replies
    Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

aren't USB cards cheap enough? (assuming your not broke!)

Advertisement