Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB to IDE adapters

• 24-03-2003 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Has anyone used a usb to ide adapter - i want to save myself a few bob by buying an internal drive and using a usb adapter to use it external.

Has anyone any experience / can you recommend a product?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

i bought the firewire/USB2 3.5" jobbie off komplett. its a bit expencive but it works well.

just in case you didn't know.
    1. 3.5 inch hd's need more than the .5A that USB can supply (2.5 shold be ok, though only in the 2.5" caddies. the 3.5" need more power regardless)

2. don't buy a dual bay USB2 unit. it will only work with XP as 98 won't support multiple LUN's and 2k has problems too (will be fixed in SP4)

also - i saw a few maxtor external hd's arr=ound that were as cheap if not cheaper than buying the unit seperatly (try peats)

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

I was planning on running a dvdrw (maybe the Sony DRU500AX) off it - is there any power issues with it - will komplett know if a drive will work with an adapter?

should be no problem - but what is the max power consumption of the device at 12V?

i'll check the transformer they supply when i get home.

tribble

1.25A @ 12V.

though that is for the 3.5" caddy.
    i presume the 5.25" is similar

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

i got the qtec one from peats,
    it works, but it is very flimsy....
    does work tho
    and yea it does have an external power supply...

actually i was in itdirect today and they have one for 6euro more
    it looked sturdier,
    did not physically see it tho(just the pic on the box).

All of the above is about 3.5 HD's

toil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

got the same one toil can you get the case back on correctly ? maby its just me but i cant get it to close propper .

it is working well i put a 80 gig in it and am using it a good bit since i got ti . speeds could be better but then again what do you expect . its a external usb 2 ...

it is working well i put a 80 gig in it and am using it a good bit since i got ti . speeds could be better but then again what do you expect . its a external usb 2

I've got a couple of 120 GIG hd's in a dual USB caddy. The overhead appears minimal. The sustained transfer rate is approx. 47MB/s (for one hd, obviously reading off two will bang up against the USB2 limits)

tribble

Advertisement