Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you buy a domain name on its own ?

Options
  • 24-03-2003 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Can you buy a domain name on its own with no webspace, and say in a few months you get webspace and you use it with the name?

What happens when you register a name? what forms do you have to fill out? Do you have to give the address of your webspace? Will it cost more than if you get your webspace at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Yes you can buy a domain name on its own.

When you decide to buy webspace you can then set the nameserver of your domain name to that of your webspace. Its simple when you actually go to do it and quite self explanatory.

Not much forms to fill out when buying a domain name, just name address, phone etc.

It should not cost more to buy space seperate from name. Except that you will be paying for the name while there is nothing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Yep ya can. I'd recommend, 000domains as they are reliable and extremely cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I'd Recommend here for domain registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are plenty of registrars that offer domain registration for between €10 - €15
    Not much of a difference between most of them, though some offer more services than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tom-thebox

Feedback from our clients was good in the past, but more recently it has been rather negative.

If at all possible go with somebody with an Irish contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭muffinhead

can you buy a domain & get it auto-forwarded to your previous site address i.e. www.mydomain.ie forwarded to http://myspace.isp.com/~site/owner/index.html???

Originally posted by muffinhead
    can you buy a domain & get it auto-forwarded to your previous site address i.e. www.mydomain.ie forwarded to http://myspace.isp.com/~site/owner/index.html???
    With a .ie domain that isn't really an option.
    Most of us offer cheap solutions so check out the sticky on the hosting board.
    For .com's it's easy.. though it depends on the registrar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Tom's recommendation, the godaddy thing, looks really cheap.

I use dotster myself.

http://www.dotster.com

They are fairly cheap, have good support and with over 1 million domain, I think they'll be around for the long haul ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

€12.95 is cheaper than $14.95 ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    €12.95 is cheaper than $14.95 ;)

And €10 is even cheaper :D

(Sorry! Couldn't resist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

:D