Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass Guitar Tech Question....

• 24-03-2003 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi,

I wonder if there's any nice guitar nerd ;) who can help me with this one.

I'm currently playing a 5 strings bass and, due to the kind of stuff I'm into, I use a lot the B and never the G.

Now I need a spare bass guitar... here's the question: instead of buying another 5 strings (heavy and more expensive) what if I get a standard 4 strings and mount B E A D strings?

Would that work alright or could give me troubles in the long term?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Should be no problem, providing that the strings actually fit. You might have to adjust the neck tension truss rod so it feels "right".
    As there will be less tension on the neck with these strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RED HORN

I know Fender do a sub sonic guiatr, six string gitar but starting and ending at B. They may have something similar for the bass. You could also try asking in a music shop if they would modify the bass for you, I doubt it will need much adjustment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

You need to do the following:

1. Buy a 5 string set and remove the G string (or buy single strings gauges .65, .85, .105, .125, if you're tuned to standard, a little heavier if you're tuned lower)

cost : €30 approx.

2. Bring the bass to a repairman/luthier and ask him to replace the nut, cutting it to your specific string gauges mentioned in pt.1, and get him to set up the string action/neck relief to your liking.

cost: €50 approx , depending on the repairman.

Total cost: roughly 80 yo-yos

If you're serious about this, I suggest you dont cut corners, you'll thank me in the long run.

I have had the nut on my 5 string cut to my specific gauges as I use a freakishly heavy bottom string (.145!) and you really need to have this done.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Giblet
    Should be no problem, providing that the strings actually fit. You might have to adjust the neck tension truss rod so it feels "right".
    As there will be less tension on the neck with these strings.

There will actually be MORE tension with these strings if tuned to standard pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by 120_Minutes
    You need to do the following:

1. Buy a 5 string set and remove the G string (or buy single strings gauges .65, .85, .105, .125, if you're tuned to standard, a little heavier if you're tuned lower)

cost : €30 approx.

2. Bring the bass to a repairman/luthier and ask him to replace the nut, cutting it to your specific string gauges mentioned in pt.1, and get him to set up the string action/neck relief to your liking.

cost: €50 approx , depending on the repairman.

Total cost: roughly 80 yo-yos

If you're serious about this, I suggest you dont cut corners, you'll thank me in the long run.

I have had the nut on my 5 string cut to my specific gauges as I use a freakishly heavy bottom string (.145!) and you really need to have this done.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the info, yep I included the 80 eurons for strings and luthier in my budget (100 more likely...)

Just please help me here to overcome the language barrier as I come from the south (so... *very* south.... :)) and didn't get a couple of things:

1) what's the "nut" that needs to be replaced? I guess it's neither hazelnut nor peanut, right? :)

2) "I suggest you dont cut corners"... :confused: you mean... not to save money on this one?

Thanks again, I do appreciate your help!

A.

• Advertisement

There will actually be MORE tension with these strings if tuned to standard pitch.

mmmmm I was a bit concerned about this too... since the one I'd like to modify is quite an expensive bass, do you think I might have troubles with the neck in the long term because of the higher tension?

I'm going to tune it B E A D (like a 5 strings but with no G)

Cheers, A.

The nut is the part between your first fret and machine heads, with grooves cut into it to facilitate string "travel" over the neck. The width of the groove is based on your preferred string gauge and the depth of the groove is most important as it works hand in hand with the action (set at the bridge saddles). So its a good idea to get the guy cutting your nut (ooooh matron!) to set up your action too....a good repairman will do this.

...and yes dont skimp on it....its worth it.

I recommend Dereck Nelson of Danvelle Instruments Marley park Dublin, (number is in the book i think) he cut my nut (owch!) for me.....

Wow, Bass tech support and daily English lesson in one go.... cool :)

All clear now, thanks a lot for all your help!

A.

I notice now, you're in Skyjack? We played a gig together in Eamon Dorans some centuries ago, remember? That was good stuff, nice to hear you're still going

Keep rockin' man, A.

Ah yeah!, I knew I recognised the name!, took a look at your site, very nice......whats Dubh like to work with? I'd be interested in picking his brains!

whats this expensive bass you're doing this to? the neck should take the tension just fine... if you need any more advice, dont hesitiate to ask..!

• Advertisement

Dubh is an amazing producer and a very nice guy: he does know his stuff and actually listens to you, I couldn't be any happier.

If you check the Project Log page of our website you'll find a detailed recording diary that can give you an idea of how he works. Also, the MP3s on the site are taken from a three days live recording we made with him in our studio. If you want to discuss this further feel free to give me a ring on the mobile, the number is in the Contact page.

The bass I'm talking about is a Fender Aerodyne J (see attached picture) I use a Music man Sting Ray 5 and I'm 100% happy with it but I want a spare bass and I'm thinking of buying that one.... I never use the bleeding G string, I like DEEP vibes :)

Thanks again for all the advice, I'd love to hear how far you guys got, any gigs lined up?

A.

...thats a nice looking bass, I have two stingrays myself ( a 4 and a 5), but i'm partial to a bit of Jazz tone...

...we're currently recording a new cd and we gave Phantom FM one of the finished tracks from it, which got to number 1 in their charts a couple of weeks ago, so we were quite chuffed about that! with a bit of luck we'll have a gig in about 2 or 3 weeks, I'll keep you posted.

Where abouts are you recording?

Jaysus that's cool! Now I'm really curious, got to hear your new stuff... please add info@morellorocks.com to your mailing list, thanks. If you give me your address I'll do the same.

We're recording in our own studio. After doing some research we found out that producing an album would have cost more or less the same so we went for it. We wanted time to experiment: record a part, listen to it over and over, try different sounds, do overdubbings, etc.

We took 7 days only for the rythmic guitar. You can't do that in a commercial studio for €400 a day, we would have definitely ended up broke and/or unsatisfied.

It's been an awful lot of work, time and money but it was worth it, now we're just paying the producer..... well... and the debts :)

We are trying to help and encourage bands to do the same by sharing all that we've learned on the website: define a budget, find the money, buy the equipment, recording, etc.

It's all here: www.morellorocks.com/resources.html

I'll meet you at your next gig then, keep up the excellent job!

A.

Cheers for the kind words, we're doing the same in our own studio, but producing it ourselves. I've added you to our list, our email is skyjackmusic@hotmail.com and the site is www.skyjackmusic.com and you can find our no.1 hit (****, how stupid do i feel after typing that?) "Give it a name" at www.mp3.com/skyjack If you d/l the track let Dubh listen to it, I'd like to hear his (honest) two cents worth, cos I'm so close to it now, my ears are no longer fresh......

Will do, see you at the next gig then!

Cheers, A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Could we take this to PMs or the like please you 2? I know there isnt much on this forum but still, its good practice :)

sorry, I started out giving out good advice and ended up plugging my band....

Actually 120_Minutes, I'm pretty sure the tension might be the same.
    It is for guitars, each one has about 16-17 lbs of tension when tuned up, lower strings seem to have slightly less, but I feel it should be around the same.

you might be right, but a 125 or 130 gauge needs a nice bit of tension otherwise its too flappy to play.....

We just got one of those Aerodyne basses in stock, I was playing it earlier, its quite light (but quite nice!). This may be a problem if you intend to put heavier strings on it, I'd suggest you come in and try it out, heck I might just get you a good deal on it!

• Advertisement

We just got one of those Aerodyne basses in stock, I was playing it earlier, its quite light (but quite nice!). This may be a problem if you intend to put heavier strings on it, I'd suggest you come in and try it out, heck I might just get you a good deal on it!

Yeah I'd love to try that bass, where do you work?

Musicmaker, (one of the fave music shops on this board it seems! :D ) give me shout when you're coming in...

Sound. I'll try to make it Saturday morning coz unfortunately I work out of town and can't make it to be there by 6.

I'll bring Dubh along if I can, will you be there? Can you pls email me your mobile # ?

And now let's stop it or they'll think we're gay :D

120, you don't happen to be that oldish guy with the long greying hair do you?

oh god, no.....:D

Advertisement