Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"MMO" forum please

Options
  • 24-03-2003 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Hi there. With the number of MMO games coming out in the near future, especially Star Wars: Galaxies and Planetside in next two months, I think it would be a good idea to have a forum dedicated to MMO games.

Currently posts concerning MMO games are split between the "Role Playing" and "Games" boards, and I think there may well be enough traffic in the coming months to warrant a board created specifically with these types of games in mind.

Some MMO games like Planetside are breaking away from the strict role-playing of games like NWN while at the same time are out of place on the Games board where discussion centers around news/industry/console events.

So, "MMO" forum please!

Teeth.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd class this as a "suggestion" so I've moved it here. Besides, I like the way we discuss this stuff as a group.

Personal not sure one way or another about this... being a recovering EQ addict.... :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I reckoned Admin / Support was the place to put this first, as per the sticky there. :) I am a recovered DAoC addict, now moving on to Planetside, which is looking really good!

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I concur, there are quiet a few ppl out there who play MMO's so this is gonna be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Yeah I reckon there's plenty of posts on massively multiplayer games recently to justify a board of this nature but I'm not sure about the name. Unless you already know a little about the genre you wont have a clue what 'MMO' stands for. I'm willing to moderate for this board if you're short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I'd like to mod too if only to get my foot in the door for my eventual plan of total forum domination.
    I've clocked up a healthy 3 years on Ultima Online and plan to play games like Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies and Asheron's Call 2 once I get my broadband connection. I think the board would be a great way to talk about mmorpgs but wouldn't you need a more specific board to discuss each game ie meeting people in-game in swg and maybe even guild/clan forums if interest is high enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

*Shrug*

As mentioned before just use the Roleplaying forum. It's already been used for MMO game discussion to some extent (eg. UO, EQ, Neocron, AC, DAoC).

You could try spamming that forum with the discussion then warrenting a new forum if you upset the regulars (unlikely).

Thing is, most of the RPG's have thier own forums and people tend to discuss there. I have no idea where Venom vanished too when he went to EQ but I can tell you UO, AC use other forums more server specific and Neocron has thier own forums built into the game.

The official UO forums suck but I doubt theres much need for one here.
    Anyways the main forum would be a place to discuss all mmorpgs whereas those official ones are game specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Sloth
    The official UO forums suck but I doubt theres much need for one here.
    Anyways the main forum would be a place to discuss all mmorpgs whereas those official ones are game specific.

Well I wasn't really trying to talk about official forums (incidently the UO official forums are being shut down). But your more or less correct.

For example Ashersons Call nearly all server related chatter for the server I played on was on the VNBoards, and they sucked as a forum. :)

Neocron has them in game as well as official ones, although the external ones are used more to bitch about the game. Internal tends to be more server sales/politics related.

I don't think it's fair to compare the new forum to the official boards since this one would just be for irish people to discuss and find other people in the same games as them which is pretty tough to do atm. I mean in all my time on UO's Europa shard I've only met 1 other Irish person. With this new centralised board it would be a lot easier to find people.
    Oh btw stratics are taking over the official uo boards and stratics is even slower still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Yeah, sounds like a great idea for a board. I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement