Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone explain.....

• 24-03-2003 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

....what exactly is that "wet patch" on the front of a few Arsenal players shirts. It's located usually about chest height and looks all kinda shiny-like (!) And I think that I might have seen it on a few other Premiership players shirts also.

Someone told me it was Vick's Vapo Rub put on to the chest to help them breathe easier during the match like those plasters Robbie Fowler used to wear but I'm not convinced.

Not that it's bothering me or anything......

alright then, it is!!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

You know what I want to say, but I'm not going to because I'll be banned if I do! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jesus H Christ

I've heard a few theories on this one, all of which are probably wrong by the way.

1) the vapo rub theory - just seems pants

2)it stops players grabbing onto their jerseys - the jerseys are skin tight anyway and prob impossible to grab a hold of.

3)players put it on their boots for better grip when taking frees and only store it on their chests - why would most of the players wear it so presuming only 1 or 2 players take the frees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I also Heard it was a rub (vicks or somit) which helps players get in more oxygen in games, It always looked to me like Ketchup on Vieras chest , 1st I thought he just sweated in pools on his chest however it is there before the matches start so I reckon it could be a vapo rub thingy, wonder how legal it is ?? Refs don't seem to be bothered

Did'nt Rave and Acid House heads in the 80's / 90's use vicks like this while clubbing to get more oxygen intake while dancing in warehouses... maybe these players are all ex ACIIIIID House Heads too :)

Originally posted by LizardKing
    Did'nt Rave and Acid House heads in the 80's / 90's use vicks like this while clubbing to get more oxygen intake while dancing in warehouses... maybe these players are all ex ACIIIIID House Heads too :)
    Haha... that won't be the first time that has happened to Arsenal :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is Vicks Vapo Rub, was doing my level 2 coaching course last weekand someone asked the same question, dunno how long they'll keep doing it though, anyone remember Robbie Fowler's noseband ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

originally posted by Jesus H Christ

2)it stops players grabbing onto their jerseys - the jerseys are skin tight anyway and prob impossible to grab a hold of.
    3)players put it on their boots for better grip when taking frees and only store it on their chests - why would most of the players wear it so presuming only 1 or 2 players take the frees

Where the bloody hell did you hear these 2 theories!!! I've never heard such rubbish in my life.

It'd obviously Vicks to help them breathe better. Think Viera was one of the first to do it. Seems to be an Arsenal thing as far as I can tell, haven't noticed many others using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

was about to ask that exact same question.

The vicks seems the most likely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Patrick Vieira said in an interview that it was Vicks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They say it is vicks alright but if we are talking about the arse then I am sure the likes of pires, viera and "i have a batty boy haircut" seaman have different stains

Originally posted by yop
    They say it is vicks alright but if we are talking about the arse then I am sure the likes of pires, viera and "i have a batty boy haircut" seaman have different stains
    Precisely what I was going to say in my first post. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭hells angels

shut it courtney...just because you hav a 1 track mind and cant see past king keane and van nistlerooy.....bum boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

lol someone took that very personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

i always thought it was spit from Viera dribbling on himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

In Vieria, Pires, Wiltord, Cygan and Henrys cases its the sweat of terror produced from hearing they might be called up to do their national duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
    players put it on their boots for better grip when taking frees and only store it on their chests
    Erm....nice theory, but what happens when Vieira goes to control the ball on his chest? --> STUCK!!

Cue John Motson:
    "What fantastic control by Vieira, he brought down the ball supebly...............and now it's stuck to his chest like some sort of abnormal growth!!" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    lol someone took that very personally
    haha... Yeah I know! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I have even seen a few junior football players with it on their shirts this season.

Very brave considering that anyone with boots that arent black are usually targeted for a kicking in Limerick junior football. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Originally posted by Pigman II
    In Vieria, Pires, Wiltord, Cygan and Henrys cases its the sweat of terror produced from hearing they might be called up to do their national duty

Hehe Good one Pigman :)
    Although I doubt Cygan has to worry too much!!!

On a semi-related topic, did anyone catch the Alan Hansen 'Club V Country' program on BBC last night. Wasn't bad.

Advertisement