Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem?

Options
  • 24-03-2003 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

What's BF1942 like on a 56k modem? (connected at 40k, which is all I can seem to get!).

Is it pants?

Luc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

In one word yes :)

I can barely play on 64k and 128k is a dream to play with :)

Give it a go and see how you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Anything below braodband isnt worth while with BF1942 really, even a bit of lag on LAN :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

64k is fine daz. Set it to 56k rates on the option screen and it works perfect. Default for isdn it sets it to 112k which is why 128k works so well.

I couldn't play at all till i changed it to 56k, i always had a 400+ ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Mine's laggy as fupp on 64k isdn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Did you try what i said? Change your connection on the multiplayer screen to 56k, and find a nice english server. I play on english/german/swedish servers with a 50 - 140 ping. Don't understand why it would be any different for any other ISDN'ers.

If you use All Seeing Eye or GameSpy, go into bf, change the rate to 56k, join a server, quit and it should keep your rate set then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Originally posted by vac
    Did you try what i said? Change your connection on the multiplayer screen to 56k, and find a nice english server. I play on english/german/swedish servers with a 50 - 140 ping. Don't understand why it would be any different for any other ISDN'ers.

my ping was with eircom ISDN to uk Servers NEVER better than 80 (most of the time around 90 - 150).
    I had never an 50ms ping to any server. Traceroute showed me that I needed 70ms for the first connection jump!
    With UTVIP it was the same so the reason was the eircom connection.

So, it seems ISDN Ping-times are different in some areas of Dublin.
    :mad:

Jochen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

56K is aite...

I cant neber get ore 44K..seems like the max. Gonna try out a USB modem soon.

ping on UK servers @ 42.6K is around 190-230 but I've had connection probs and it's shot up to 1030 for about 2 mins solid.

tis playable but frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

ITS FINE!

My god i must be the only BF player that can and does play across a sub standard 56k! It all depends on the servers. Never go over 24 players. Stick to the Boomtown, Blueyonder etc. servers, they i find the best. It can also depend on the time of day and amount of web traffic too i am afraid to say. When lots of web traffic = bad. Last weekend though i was able to play for a good few hours with no lag. I kicked all ass with Engineer on Baytown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I reckon it's mostly server lag. I tried it for a bit on Sunday, and I got pings of 60 (tho 100 is more usual) and no lag if there was 6-8 people on the server. Once it got up to 16 players almost everybody on the server was complaining about lag. It was the same story on 3/4 servers. I'd guess that either the servers are below recommended spec, or the recommended spec is too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Winters
    ITS FINE!

My god i must be the only BF player that can and does play across a sub standard 56k! It all depends on the servers. Never go over 24 players. Stick to the Boomtown, Blueyonder etc. servers, they i find the best. It can also depend on the time of day and amount of web traffic too i am afraid to say. When lots of web traffic = bad. Last weekend though i was able to play for a good few hours with no lag. I kicked all ass with Engineer on Baytown :)

Yea? Cool, might give it a try tonight so :)

Luc

• Advertisement
Advertisement