Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv5 Objective On Iraq? Lucky You In Chorus Land

• 24-03-2003 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

How lucky you are living in 'CHORUS land' in Athlone, Cork, Malahide, Maynooth, Mullingar, Newbridge Swords etc. because you can all watch the alternate (Belgian, French, Canadian and Swiss) view of the war in Iraq on TV5 and thus feel part of a world audience of 600 million.
    Some suggest that TV5 may even be following the Lara Marlowe/ The Irish Times slant...
    CNN (the second most available tv station in the world after MTV with TV5 in position 3) has been thrown out of Iraq and has to piggy back on other broadcasters such as Sky available to a maximum of 10 million ...eight of these legally in the U.K. and Ireland. Some people suggest that Sky News is biased in one way or another................. as it emphasises alleged Iraqi atrocities vented on the Anglo/Americans.
    If so why are all the Irish and British terrestrials trying to copy them?

Anyway, pity us in 'ntl land', in the ONLY Union capital, to have a basic analogue tv package with ALL channels in the one language... (yes, but TG4 is a 'must-carry' channel).
    By the way do you know that France Television never telephones its journalists (particularly those with videophones) because this endangers their survival in the embattled areas.....if you were on a bus in Baghdad with a battalion of Iraqi soldiers how would you like your phone to go off?
    Finland's state broadcasters refers to the present situation as the 'emergency'. Interesting!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

From what I've seen dipping into their coverage, they seem to be taking it mainly from France 2 and the CBC. A good opportunity to see the CBC's French language Newsworld station - RDI - in action.

There is a TV5 anchor who links between the different stations - an interesting way of covering things.

One thing I don't like about TV5's new on-air identity is that black line at the bottom of the screen with the TV5 logo and "LE JOURNAL" or in this case "EDITION SPECIAL - IRAK" - it seems to waste a line of the TV screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ZDF and ETV are often on after nick at night.

And you can get news coverage from EuroNews on RTE One and TG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Frameless

Originally posted by a bientot
    How lucky you are living in 'CHORUS land' in Athlone, Cork, Malahide, Maynooth, Mullingar, Newbridge Swords etc. because you can all watch the alternate (Belgian, French, Canadian and Swiss) view of the war in Iraq on TV5 and thus feel part of a world audience of 600 million.
    Some suggest that TV5 may even be following the Lara Marlowe/ The Irish Times slant...
    CNN (the second most available tv station in the world after MTV with TV5 in position 3) has been thrown out of Iraq and has to piggy back on other broadcasters such as Sky available to a maximum of 10 million ...eight of these legally in the U.K. and Ireland. Some people suggest that Sky News is biased in one way or another................. as it emphasises alleged Iraqi atrocities vented on the Anglo/Americans.
    If so why are all the Irish and British terrestrials trying to copy them?

Anyway, pity us in 'ntl land', in the ONLY Union capital, to have a basic analogue tv package with ALL channels in the one language... (yes, but TG4 is a 'must-carry' channel).
    By the way do you know that France Television never telephones its journalists (particularly those with videophones) because this endangers their survival in the embattled areas.....if you were on a bus in Baghdad with a battalion of Iraqi soldiers how would you like your phone to go off?
    Finland's state broadcasters refers to the present situation as the 'emergency'. Interesting!

:confused: a bientot - give us a break! Do you really expect us to believe that people watch that trash that TV Cinq trot out as programming?? People don't watch the over-funded TG4 as it is, so they're hardly going to watch a foreign station.

And, amazingly, while we have a dedicated Irish language channel, RTÉ persist with showing Irish language programming on RTÉ 1 / Net 2. Even in Wales all of the Welsh language programming was transferred to S4C from HTV when S4C first started.

I personally feel offended every time I turn on a sporting event, the UN, or Eurovision and find everything being quoted in French first. I speak English - I want to hear things in English - it is as simple as that!! And no, I have no great live for things English (apart from BBC & ITV).

I don't suppose you can come up with valid viewing figures for how many viewers TV Cinq had when it was on NTL........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Frameless
    People don't watch the over-funded TG4 as it is, so they're hardly going to watch a foreign station

speak for yourself. TG4 is a fantastic channel and puts the other 3 Irish channels to shame. you'd be surprised with how many people watch foreign channels

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    speak for yourself. TG4 is a fantastic channel and puts the other 3 Irish channels to shame. you'd be surprised with how many people watch foreign channels

:p Yeah Mossy..........I believe you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

just because you may not watch them does not mean everyone else does the same. live with it

I personally feel offended every time I turn on a sporting event, the UN, or Eurovision and find everything being quoted in French first. I speak English - I want to hear things in English - it is as simple as that!! And no, I have no great live for things English (apart from BBC & ITV).

How ignorant of you just because you don’t speak another language.

speak for yourself. TG4 is a fantastic channel and puts the other 3 Irish channels to shame. You’d be surprised with how many people watch foreign channels

Yes this is true unlike the other channels TG4 has to make its own programmes rather then putting out shows, which are broadcast on BBC or ITV at the same time.

Most of the people in this world speak another lanuage other then English.

Originally posted by Elmo
    How ignorant of you just because you don’t speak another language.

Yes this is true unlike the other channels TG4 has to make its own programmes rather then putting out shows, which are broadcast on BBC or ITV at the same time.

Most of the people in this world speak another lanuage other then English.

:o I say again.....BOOOOOOORRRRRINNNGGGGGGGGG!!!!
    Last time I looked TG4 (our so-called 'Irish Language' channel' was showing Enlish Movies, sport, etc WITHOUT ANY IRISH SUBTITLES.......comments please.......!!!!

what has that got to do with your claim that no one watches TG4

II say again.....BOOOOOOORRRRRINNNGGGGGGGGG!!!!
    Last time I looked TG4 (our so-called 'Irish Language' channel' was showing Enlish Movies, sport, etc WITHOUT ANY IRISH SUBTITLES.......comments please.......!!!!!!!!

Igorance is Bliss.

TG4 make more shows then TV3 and N2 together each year.

And TG4 is a TV channel which happens to import some of its TV shows.

A tv channel wouldn't be much without the odd american Movie, i don't see RTE or TV3 making their own movies.

Also TG4 has 5% of the viewers in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think TG4 has an interesting mix. I don't speak Gaelic but probabily watch TG4 as much as the other Irish channels.

Power Rangers stuff or cheap cartoons dubbed to Gaelic is not impressive. I doubt Gaelic speakers are that desparate for Japan/US imports.

Surprisingly they claim that they have more viewers for their childrens output then their primetime shows. Power Rangers have gone thank god.

Advertisement